Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lord Bute Hotel(Christchurch)
View Hotel
South Lawn Hotel(Milford on Sea)
  • Restaurant
The Kings Arms(Christchurch)
2,121 results
All reviewsafternoon teatree housecroquet lawntasting menubreakfast hamperthe main hoteljunior suitespecial occasionattention to detailhot tubsandwichesservice chargeout of this worldgrounds are beautifulbirthday treatnew forestbirthday card
Reviewed 17 March 2011

My boyfriend and I had an amazing stay at Chewton Glen. We were only there one night but wished we could have stayed longer and will be returning. The new huge swimming/spa pool was fabulous and there is a huge selection of luxurious spa treatments - I recommend the Hawaiian massage! Do try the 5 course tasting menu which is delicious and has a different wine with every course. Everyone was very helpful and while it is a big hotel it feels cosy and welcoming. We stayed in a great suite which was traditional yet modern at the same time with a tv in the bathroom and a huge shower, There is lots to do not only at Chewton Glen but also nearby and we went on a fun horse ride through the New Forest - you can actually walk to the beach from Chewton Glen but we did not have time. The restaurant was being renovated which meant a little disruption but that should be finished by the end of March. We had a lovely time and a stay is definitely recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2011

We are always pleased when guests leave wanting more and it is a regular comment from people visiting that they simply haven’t had enough time to do everything that was offered to them. Needless to say we are delighted that this short visit seemed to tick all the boxes and we very much look forward to welcoming them back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

Over the past 10 years, I have stayed at this hotel around 8 times. In the early years, it was great on every front but most importantly, it had the personal touch. The staff miracously knew your name and remembered your choice of drink - not anymore. You are just another punter - to be squeezed into a piece of the hotel and as much money extracted from you as possible.

What was unforgiveable, was they had forgotten to mention a major refurb of the restaurant, which meant we were either squeezed into an inappropriate side room or a corridor like space smelling of paint - great for your michelin starred food. My friend went down early one am or breakfast and was berated by a waiter for choosing to sit on a table of four when clearly she was on her own!

The decor is still lovely, the spa has all the right elements but it has lost its appeal, it's magic. What a shame.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BessMcK

I was saddened to read that this regular guest of Chewton Glen felt that it has lost its magic and as you can imagine I would be very keen to hear directly from them to discuss their concerns. Over the last four decades we have always listened very carefully to our guests and always view all comments in a constructive manner. Chewton Glen is undoubtedly busier than it used to be however our team has also grown accordingly and now we have in the region of 230 staff looking after the 58 rooms, restaurant, spa and the estate. One of our values as a business is to offer a very personalised service and recognition for each and every one of our guests. Needless to say this a constant battle in an age where staff are more transient however this is a problem that the whole industry has to contend with. I would agree that it is unforgivable that these guests were not informed of the refurbishment and of course I am surprised as we have been completely transparent about the improvements we have been undertaking. There is a barely a year that goes by without us undertaking some exciting projects and our policy is to inform guests in advance. I have tried to investigate this particular lapse in service however without a name I haven’t been able to trace which member of staff dealt with the reservation. I sincerely hope that these guests will contact me personally as I would value the opportunity to discuss their most recent stay and also restore their faith in Chewton Glen.

Reviewed 7 March 2011

I refer to tripadvisor a lot but have never been driven to post a review before. But our experience was so good at Chewton Glen that I felt obliged to write this. It started with us being greeted by name as we parked up (we've never stayed there before but we had provided our car's registration number in advance). By the time we had been given a tour of the hotel our car had been parked and our luggage was in the room. Your chosen newspaper and morning beverage were delivered to your room every morning. I don't know if it is because of, or in spite of the strict no tipping policy but the staff were very attentive throughout.

We were upgraded to a silver room which was a nicely furnished mini-suite with terrace - Bose iPod player and surround sound for the TV.

The spa facilities were excellent. The sea was a 20 minute stroll through their extensive grounds - with wellington boots of various sizes provided by the door if you didn't bring appropriate footwear.

Breakfast was excellent. If I have to find fault then in my opinion the Gourmand menu was only OK - possibly let down also by the rare slow service.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2011

I was pleased that these guests enjoyed their stay so much that they felt compelled to tell of their experience and would like to thank them for taking the time and trouble to do so. Such positive feedback always motivates the team to work even harder and I will of course enjoy sharing this review with the entire team. The specific feedback about dinner was also useful and I have of course discussed this with the team in the kitchen. We are due to unveil our new restaurant concept at the end of April and we are all very excited about this positive progression.

Reviewed 7 March 2011

We have stayed a few times at Chewton Glenn. The location and facilities are superb but what in our view sets the hotel apart from its peers is the outstanding quality of the staff - not at all stuffy, always friendly and quietly very efficient. A true test on our last stay was that it was half term and the place was full of very young children, and yet this in no way encumbered our stay nor did it seem to stretch the staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviews mentioning the attentiveness of the team are always the most rewarding for us at Chewton Glen and I am pleased that this reviewer highlighted our staff as the point of differentiation. I am also pleased that although half term was extremely busy with families, it did not impact on those guests without children. Needless to say we look forward to welcoming them back soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2011

We spent the weekend here for our 1st anniversary and definitely received a very warm welcome & lots of nice extra touches because of it! Had a lovely room in the main house, dined in the restaurant both nights - excellent food and wine. We borrowed bikes and pedaled into Lymington for the afternoon and pedaled back along the gorgeous coastal path and spend most of the next day relaxing in the hyrotherapy pools and outdoor jacuzzi which are fantastic! Great service and lovely relaxed location.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
ChewtonGlenNewForest, Guest Relations Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2011

We would like to thank these guests for such a positive review and needless to say we are delighted that their first anniversary celebration at Chewton Glen was so memorable. The coastal path to Lymington is one of my favourite adventures and I am pleased that they also enjoyed it along with the soak in the hydrotherapy pool afterwards!