WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“A truly wonderful spa destination for all to enjoy with first-class facilities, fantastic staff and a great location.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

5 friends visited the Chewton Glen Spa and it was a day that we did not want to end. When we arrived in the morning, we all left our lives, worries, stresses and problems at the hotel entrance and as the day progressed, we slowly found ourselves again. Only this time we emerged calmer and less fraught, relaxed and rejuvenated. Chewton Glen worked its magic on us all. Our thanks also to Kerry for our lovely glass of champagne with our lunch and our gift, it was the icing on the cake! Your therapists were all wonderful too and special thanks to Nicola who gave me a wonderful and much-needed treatment.
Once again, a big, big thank you. I recommend everyone should experience this fantastic spa and indeed this luxury hotel, that deserves all the accolades it has won. We were still sitting in the sumptuous hotel lounge enjoying a light supper and drinks at 11pm that evening, not wishing to leave this sanctuary!
Stephanie
Jo - My body has been buffed and beautified. My soul has been smoothed and steamed. And my mind has rested and relaxed. Chewton Glen is pampering perfection.
Sarah - The day was simply too much! Who would have thought that self-indulgence could be SO exhausting! I have a new found respect for ladies who lunch!! Never again! Bring on the daily grind!!! X
Kate
- It’s not until you begin to relax in this fabulous spa, that all the worries fade away, and realisation sets in, that a treat like this is needed more often. Thank you so much for a wonderful day, see you next week!
Helen - A perfect, magical day...thank you doesn’t seem enough, but seems to say it all.

Room Tip: Near the New Forest and stunning beaches.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
It was wonderful to receive such positive feedback from every member of this small party who visited the spa for the day and we are of course delighted that they all returned back to the real world feeling rejuvenated. I have of course enjoyed sharing their comments with the whole of the spa team and look forward to welcoming them back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

Chewton Glen is quite simply one of the best country house hotels in the UK.

On a recent visit however we noticed that the quality of the more junior staff was not quite what it used to be. During tea service one afternoon three 'lads' were arguing with each other in full hearing of guests with one of them appealing to the others by saying 'come we should be working as a team'!! Indeed they should! The Spa staff were less than efficient too! The restaurant is currently going through a major refurbishment and despite the obvious disruption it is a bit like the 'elephant in the room' with the management trying to pretend that everything will be fine..... as long as they don't apologize.

A good visit but come on Chewton Glen protect those standards.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
I was horrified to read that this reviewer’s most recent experience was marred by some service issues and first and foremost I would like to apologise most sincerely. Under normal circumstances it is our staff who are praised most and I know the team will be equally upset that we failed to perform on this occasion. Since their visit we have replaced our bar and lounge manager and I am delighted that normality has already resumed. In the restaurant we have tried to be as transparent as possible about the refurbishment however they are undoubtedly taking longer than we had been assured and have impacted on our ability to perform to the usual high standard. Regarding the spa staff, there is no reason for them to be underperforming and it would be interesting to understand why they were highlighted. Needless to say, we look forward to welcoming these guests back and to ensuring that on their next visit we are back to being great again and not just good!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

My in-laws stayed at Chewton Glen last weekend and came back glowing from their stay there! My father-in-law asked me to post this review:

"My wife and I stayed at Chewton Glen for the weekend and had a splendid time. The room was beautiful, the food delicious and the staff charming - nothing was too much trouble. My wife also loved the wonderful Spa. On the Saturday night we attended one of their "Special Events" in the Lake Room and had a superb evening. The entertainment was from a group of West End performers and was outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed our whole weekend and look forward to coming again"

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the most amazing stay at Chewton Glen. From being greeted on arrival by Eddy we felt completely spoilt; the most gorgeous room with the most beautiful view, the impeccable service and the mouth watering food, my boyfriend was quivering in his boots as I kept telling him how I could get accustomed to this lifestyle!!! It was such a treat and something I will remember forever. The grounds were beautiful and we managed to walk to the beach before indulging ourselves in the Menu Gourmand and Wine Gourmand for our evening meal. We decided to wake early the following day to enjoy the gym and spa before eating our delicious breakfast and exploring again in the beautiful weather before heading to Dorset.

Thank you so much for this amazing stay and please thank everyone for making our stay utterly perfect.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
All of us at Chewton Glen are thrilled that this couple had such a memorable weekend and that they will remember their stay for a very long time. I have of course as requested, passed on their thanks to the whole team and hope that it won’t be too long before we see them again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

My boyfriend and I had an amazing stay at Chewton Glen. We were only there one night but wished we could have stayed longer and will be returning. The new huge swimming/spa pool was fabulous and there is a huge selection of luxurious spa treatments - I recommend the Hawaiian massage! Do try the 5 course tasting menu which is delicious and has a different wine with every course. Everyone was very helpful and while it is a big hotel it feels cosy and welcoming. We stayed in a great suite which was traditional yet modern at the same time with a tv in the bathroom and a huge shower, There is lots to do not only at Chewton Glen but also nearby and we went on a fun horse ride through the New Forest - you can actually walk to the beach from Chewton Glen but we did not have time. The restaurant was being renovated which meant a little disruption but that should be finished by the end of March. We had a lovely time and a stay is definitely recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
We are always pleased when guests leave wanting more and it is a regular comment from people visiting that they simply haven’t had enough time to do everything that was offered to them. Needless to say we are delighted that this short visit seemed to tick all the boxes and we very much look forward to welcoming them back in the not too distant future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

Over the past 10 years, I have stayed at this hotel around 8 times. In the early years, it was great on every front but most importantly, it had the personal touch. The staff miracously knew your name and remembered your choice of drink - not anymore. You are just another punter - to be squeezed into a piece of the hotel and as much money extracted from you as possible.

What was unforgiveable, was they had forgotten to mention a major refurb of the restaurant, which meant we were either squeezed into an inappropriate side room or a corridor like space smelling of paint - great for your michelin starred food. My friend went down early one am or breakfast and was berated by a waiter for choosing to sit on a table of four when clearly she was on her own!

The decor is still lovely, the spa has all the right elements but it has lost its appeal, it's magic. What a shame.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BessMcK
I was saddened to read that this regular guest of Chewton Glen felt that it has lost its magic and as you can imagine I would be very keen to hear directly from them to discuss their concerns. Over the last four decades we have always listened very carefully to our guests and always view all comments in a constructive manner. Chewton Glen is undoubtedly busier than it used to be however our team has also grown accordingly and now we have in the region of 230 staff looking after the 58 rooms, restaurant, spa and the estate. One of our values as a business is to offer a very personalised service and recognition for each and every one of our guests. Needless to say this a constant battle in an age where staff are more transient however this is a problem that the whole industry has to contend with. I would agree that it is unforgivable that these guests were not informed of the refurbishment and of course I am surprised as we have been completely transparent about the improvements we have been undertaking. There is a barely a year that goes by without us undertaking some exciting projects and our policy is to inform guests in advance. I have tried to investigate this particular lapse in service however without a name I haven’t been able to trace which member of staff dealt with the reservation. I sincerely hope that these guests will contact me personally as I would value the opportunity to discuss their most recent stay and also restore their faith in Chewton Glen.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

I refer to tripadvisor a lot but have never been driven to post a review before. But our experience was so good at Chewton Glen that I felt obliged to write this. It started with us being greeted by name as we parked up (we've never stayed there before but we had provided our car's registration number in advance). By the time we had been given a tour of the hotel our car had been parked and our luggage was in the room. Your chosen newspaper and morning beverage were delivered to your room every morning. I don't know if it is because of, or in spite of the strict no tipping policy but the staff were very attentive throughout.

We were upgraded to a silver room which was a nicely furnished mini-suite with terrace - Bose iPod player and surround sound for the TV.

The spa facilities were excellent. The sea was a 20 minute stroll through their extensive grounds - with wellington boots of various sizes provided by the door if you didn't bring appropriate footwear.

Breakfast was excellent. If I have to find fault then in my opinion the Gourmand menu was only OK - possibly let down also by the rare slow service.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
I was pleased that these guests enjoyed their stay so much that they felt compelled to tell of their experience and would like to thank them for taking the time and trouble to do so. Such positive feedback always motivates the team to work even harder and I will of course enjoy sharing this review with the entire team. The specific feedback about dinner was also useful and I have of course discussed this with the team in the kitchen. We are due to unveil our new restaurant concept at the end of April and we are all very excited about this positive progression.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,538 reviews

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!