“A fabulous place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A fabulous place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Two teachers, willing to invest in a bit of indulgence over half term......we weren't disappointed!
The spa day was great value for money with a lovely breakfast of pain au chocolate and cappucino on arrival, use of the wonderful pool (very serene and quiet), amazing hydrotherapy pools, incredible treatments in the spa and a lunch far superior than the 'buffet lunch' described (no problem for this gluten free girl). We even got in an exercise class.
What really impressed me was the quietness of the spa. They had resisted the urge to pack the place with people and this provided us with a lovely, tranquil setting. We were also here in half term and (like a previous post) dreading the thought of children! Whilst a few were spotted, they were only allowed at certain times (an hour am, an hour pm) in the pool- no big deal as we went to the sauna/steam room/ hydrotherapy pools/ hot tub/ refreshment area for a juice to avoid noise! Both my friend and I loved the 'zones' created around the building. There were plenty of quiet places to read a book!
Overall, a fabulous and relaxing day. The staff could not have been more attentive. Well worth paying the extra for.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
It was lovely to read of such an enjoyable visit to our Spa at Chewton Glen. We are very grateful for the recognition that we have received from publications such as Conde Nast Traveller, The Sunday Times Travel Magazine and Tatler Spa Guide and we always endeavor to provide a world-class environment for which our guests can relax in 5 star luxury.

I am delighted that this has been the case for these guests and I shall certainly be passing on their fantastic feedback to our team. I wish these guests all the best now that they are back at work from the school holidays – We all very much look forward to welcoming them back in the near future for some more indulgence!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We have been visiting Chewton Glen since the early 90's and have used it as the 'gold standard' by which we other top quality hotels. The service, accommodation and food has always been of the very highest standard, it was the sort of place where we knew we could just relax, take a deep breath and let them look after us. This visit however will be our last as the hotel is now promoting itself as a 'family friendly' venue. Admittedly we were there in half term but work in education and so we have always visited in school holidays without any problem at all. Unfortunately our visit this time was not the relaxing time that we had planned. Our breakfast every morning was ruined by squawking children, toddler tantrums and their parents talking loudly over them oblivious to other guests, our early evening swim and relax by the pool was spoiled by children running around naked and despite the fact that they are supposed to be out by 5.00pm they were still in there well after 6.00pm. The final straw however was coming down for pre-dinner drinks at 8.00pm to find young children playing bat and ball in the very confined space of the cocktail bar whilst the adult with them smiled on indulgently. They then went on to eat in the main restaurant.
To make matter worse we splashed out on 'gold' Croquet Lawn room. The rooms are spacious but, as a previous reviewer noted, very dated and very much in need of refurbishment and updating. If I say plastic 'dripping candle' effect wall lights I think you get the picture. Our toilet had a suspect pink stain on the bowl that no amount of scrubbing with the toilet brush coud remove - very disconcerting when I first used the loo! To get to the (excellent) Spa in our towelling robes we had the choice of walking across the front entrance of the hotel or through a room that is now in use for meals such as afternoon tea or, as it was when we arrived, closed for a private event. It says it all that instead of bringing the Croquet Lawn rooms up to date they are investing a fortune in some Tree House Suites that will of course be very attractive to young families!
I understand that it is tough times for hotels and that they have to respond to market forces but this move into the family market could be handled so that middle aged couples like us who have done the young family bit and want some quiet R and R can be accommodated alongside Mr and Mrs Middle England and their offspring.
On the positive side, the service was very good as usual and the hotel handled a mix up with our room very professionally, the food was good and I had two excellent treatments in the Spa.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on a Croquet Lawn room.
4 Thank Luxuryhound
I was both concerned and very much saddened to read that this guest’s stay with us had regretfully fallen short of previous visits in the past. It is true that Chewton Glen has evolved over the years and is certainly now a more family-friendly destination to stay at. It is a pleasure to have seen that this decision has enabled families to create and cherish some wonderful memories together with us. Although not targeted solely at the family market, our decision to build luxury tree house suites in the grounds does indeed reinforce this decision to enable families to enjoy Chewton Glen moving forward into the future. However, it is also our priority to always ensure that this does not detract from maintaining our usually high service standards in any way. I was disappointed that this guest feels it was the case on this occasion and I would like to offer my reassurance that it is always our aim to deliver and create an atmosphere which combines service excellence with a relaxed ‘home from home’ feel, in order to provide maximum comfort.

Our Gold rooms overlooking the croquet lawn have been furnished in a traditional style, which we find offers a blend of elegance and sophistication. I am sorry if this particular room was not to this guest’s taste on this occasion. However, I would like to thank them for highlighting an observation in the room’s bathroom and I can assure that our Housekeeping team has since rectified this.

On another note I was pleased to read that this guest felt the service from our team in the hotel was excellent once again and that they enjoyed their time spent in the Spa. We consistently receive positive feedback about these aspects of the hotel and I am always delighted to read them. I fully appreciate that this guest was disappointed on this particular visit. However, should they reconsider returning in the future I would urge them to contact me directly, so that I can personally ensure for a smooth and relaxing stay at Chewton Glen. I very much look forward to the opportunity to welcome this guest back to us.
Dorset UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Having used the Chewton Glen over the past four years for various events and occasions, we have found our stay consistently excels our expectations. The staff make you feel very welcome and provide a home from home feel which is understated and without being stuffy. As always we have come home feeling totally relaxed and stress free, this was the aim of our visit. The grounds are serene and the Spa is sublime. During this visit we dined in the new Vetiver Restaurant and were hugely impressed. Our three course meal was exceptional in taste, flavour and presentation. The suggested wines also complemented our meal. The ambience created in the restaurant and the hotel is perfect.
We wish to thank everyone for their hospitality and their attention to detail.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
I was jubilant to read that this guest’s recent stay with us had been such an enchanting experience. From hearing that we have consistently exceeded expectations over the years, to our team providing a professional yet welcoming ‘home from home’ style of service, this guest has touched on many of our intentions we constantly aim to deliver. I was also pleased to read that our new restaurant Vetiver had been a success during their stay. This is an area of which we have recently invested a great deal, so this feedback will without doubt be gratefully received by both our Restaurant Manager Alastair Phillips, as well as Vetiver Head Chef Andrew Du Bourg. I would like to thank these guests for taking the time to relay such wonderful comments back to us; I will make sure these are shared with the team here. We all certainly look forward to welcoming these guests back to Chewton Glen once again in the future.
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

"The Best Hotel in the UK"
We continue to visit the Chewton Glen as our special treat and always wonder how they will maintain their standards from our last visit. Having just retuned from on overnight stay I am amazed to say they have not just maintained standards but seem to keep finding new ways to impress . The facilities are amazing, (we really enjoy the SPA) and the team of staff are exceptional they take care of everything and make you feel so welcome. Well done Chewton Glen

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I was overjoyed to read this review and to learn that these guests thoroughly enjoyed their recent stay with us. It is indeed true that we are always looking for ways to not only improve, but to also set the benchmark for the hospitality industry. I would like to thank these guests for their most kind remarks about our facilities and also our team – they will most certainly be appreciated when I share them. My colleagues and I very much look forward to welcoming these guests back to Chewton Glen in the not too distant future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

We have been going to Chewton Glen since the late Seventies, not that long after Martin and Brigitte Skan started it. It was fabulous then, and it's still every bit as good, albeit a bit larger and with bits and pieces added on, including a very large, stunning Spa.
I used to have a deal with them, a business stay of bed and breakfast for £33.00. Unfortunately they don't seem inclined to honour the agreement these days!
This hotel regularly wins awards for the best this, the best that. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and I have thought for a long time that it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It isn't cheap, in fact it's pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for, and at Chewton Glen they really deliver. We would struggle to recall a time when we had to complain.....I believe that was never, although the last time we were there in August for my 70th birthday, there was a very slight problem with children in the restaurant after they should have been "cleared away"; at the time they sorted it all out very efficiently and pleasantly, and when I wrote to the General Manager observing this state of affairs (but not complaining - I was trying to help them) I got exactly the right response, which left me every bit as enthusiastic about the place. There is nowhere which doesn't have a glitch, it is what they do about it which is important.
It's impossible to particularise just why this place is so special, but......the fabric of the hotel is wonderful, the food is really good, the staff are all completely non-stuffy and friendly, and the Spa is to die for, it's huge, there is an enormous swimming pool with a high ceiling with a night sky with stars painted on it, all you have to do to access the Spa is to put your robe on and walk a short distance through the hotel corridors.

Room Tip: The Silver Rooms (the middle grade of "ordinary" rooms) are better than most hotels' j...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
basingstoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

having enjoyed Chewton Glen on previous occasions, our recent visit was truly an outstanding success story.With all top luxury hotels you expect service standards, food quality and day to day items to be of the highest standard; this was exactly what Chewton Glen delivered in every area of accommodation, dining, spa and comfort, but the key element which made an big impression with us was the universal attitude of all the staff we met throughout the hotel. Chewton Glen has most definitely "raised the bar" in luxury hotelkeeping, and some of the thoughtful little extras were quite special, and will be enjoyed by all future guests.

Room Tip: small suite accommodation facing the lawn and with a small comfortable balcony is an excellent choic...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
I was truly delighted to read that these guests have returned to Chewton Glen and thoroughly enjoyed their stay with us once again. It always pleases me when I hear that a guest’s stay has not only been a success but that it has been made all the more special by our dedicated team. Thank you for sharing these lovely comments with us and I shall certainly pass them on to the entire team here. My colleagues and I very much look forward to welcoming these guests back again, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

On the whole I enjoyed my stay at Chewton Glen, the staff were very helpful and friendly.

However, I did expect that a 5 star hotel would cope better with special dietary needs. At each meal I had to ask the staff for the gluten-free option (at other hotels the staff remember who you are), and on one occasion I am sure I was given the vegetarian option instead. I simply ate the filling in the wraps, rather than face another wait.

I also found it difficult way round the hotel - I got lost everytime I returned to my room, so some signs would be helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
I was most concerned to read that this guest felt their dietary requirements were not met sufficiently whilst staying with us. We continually do our utmost to ensure all dietary requests, regardless of their nature or type, are carried out and followed through with precision and care. Furthermore, we recently conducted a special dietary request training session to ensure our team is well-versed in dealing with such instances, of which we receive hundreds each week. I am therefore very sorry indeed that this guest feels it was not the case on this particular occasion. Consequently I have alerted our Executive Chef, Luke Matthews, to this case in order to ensure that further shortcomings are avoided in the future.

Being a Grade-II listed building, we benefit from this unique property having a great sense of character, with the ultimate aim for it to feel more like a ‘home from home’ than anything else. Detailed floor plans of the hotel are usually provided on check-in. However, I sincerely apologise if this was not the case when this guest arrived. To avoid any future confusion our reception team would be delighted to offer an extensive show round of the property, on this guest’s next stay with us.

Despite this feedback, I am very happy to learn that their overall experience with us at Chewton Glen was an enjoyable one – we all certainly look forward to hopefully welcoming these guests back, in the not too distant future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!