“Relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Relaxing”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Unfortunately I only stayed for one night, my room overlooking the croquet lawn was fantastic, the food was superb and the service second to none. I cant wait to go again. Oh and I bumped into Michael McIntyre on my way back to my room after dinner. The Gym and Spa are also very good and considerably better equipped than many other places I have stayed.

Room Tip: Overlooking the Croquet Lawn with a large balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Richard G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Well when you read about hotels that are up in the top 10 you expect the best and in truth this hotel does deliver service and luxury at elite levels
We also found the location great to explore the new forest excellent restaurant facilities and the spa is as good as any I have visited 1st class all the way thank you for an enjoyable weekend

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sally j
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I went to Chewton Glen in December 2011, wanted to write a review as I thought it was by far one of the nicest hotels I've ever been too. Its beautiful on the outside and on the inside. I stayed for two nights in a Bronze room, its was beautifully clean, a very large bathroom and the bed was very comfortable. I came with my boyfriend for a relaxing weekend and that's what we got. Its a geat location in the new forest so very quiet. We ate in the restaurant both nights and both nights the food was superb, the conceirge we had was very attentive. We both also had a massage ( excellent ) and enjoyed the large spa very much. Also has a very nice ppool and large tennis courts. Ideal for anyone who needs a break! It is expensive, but I think worth it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

What a fabulous place! We went for a couple of days total R&R and couldn't have picked better. Everyone is courteous - nothing is too much trouble - yet there's nothing 'stiff' about staff, it's all very natural and easy-going. The room was perfect, spacious and comfortable with a large and luxurious bathroom. The spa treatments were fabulous, the environment pristine and the staff very professional and well-trained, and the hydrotherapy pool was fantastic. What was particularly good was that our room was quite close to the spa so we felt completely comfortable walking there in bathrobes and slippers as there was no need to go through the main public areas. The pool bar is great for lunch while you're at the spa and the bar and restaurant is excellent for when you've finally worked up the energy to get dressed - just in time for dinner! Can't fault Chewton Glen, and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank MCE63
Maidenhead, UK
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Room Number 4.

Of my 131-odd hotel reviews on tripadvisor, Chewton Glen must rank as the best hotel that I have stayed in.

A very good welcome, and tor of the room on checking in.
Room 4 is on the first floor, a very good size, very quiet and free of any light or noise pollution.
So, a good nights sleep - helped by a very good quality bed.
All fixtures and fittings are of the highest quality, and the overall decor is understated and elegent.

Spa facilities are first class - make sure that you go through the pool area into the Ornagery area, where a wide range of water treatments await. Excellent sauna and steam room in the gents changing room.

Had a great Mojita in the bar, not cheap, but very good indeed, with a very nice and comfortable sofa, and relaxing surroundings.

Breakfast was fantastic. Two very minor points - the orange juice seperates in the jug, (it cannot be stirred) so the thick juice descends - and I could only pour the watery juice out (needs a different jug)
The wallpaper - not my choice, but I accept that we are nitpicking now. Great service, excellent quality of food, nice wide choice - all in all, a very good value meal.

Nice grounds to walk in, small par 3 golf course, not for the true golfer, but quite good fun.
Car park is away from the main hotel. A good idea, it means no disturbance in your bedroom from the car park.

The choice of lounges is excellent. Nice to sit and read the newspapers and magazines in the morning with the coffee (served hot - excellent!)

Not a cheap hotel, but I very much enjoyed my stay, thought that the value was fair to good, and will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank expectant customer
Saffron Walden Essex
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just returned from a fantastic 3 night stay. Having read Mr Evans weekly column in the Mail Live magazine stating it was his " favourite Hotel in the world " we decided to book a mid week
break.
Everything from the moment we arrived and had our car parked for us to the moment we left, alas, and were given bottles of drinks and biscuits for the journey home was a wonderful experience. Nothing was too much trouble, all the staff were polite and helpfull.

We had a lovely spa treatment each (included in the package) and regulary used the pool and sauna facilities.

Our room was an upgrade to Silver (Gypsy) and was superb with a balcony, the fridge was refilled daily with Free waters and soft drinks.

The evening meals and breakfast were excellent both with a great choice.

We have stayed in many 5 star Hotels and I have to agree with Mr Evans that this is now also our " favourite hotel in the world "

If you want to be treated like royalty and enjoy all the facilities in this wonderfull hotel then I would suggest you pick up the phone and make a booking now even if it is for one night only, you will not be disappointed.

I would if possible upgrade this hotel to a 8 star.

ENJOY

Regards
The thatcher

I

Room Tip: gypsy, on first floor also short walk tothe spa
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thatcher009
Montecito, California
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I had heard about Chewton Glen since the 80's and when we came to the area I wanted to experience it.I had always seen the photo of the facade of a elegant period home so I was surprised when we drove up and could not recognize the buildings in front of us.A bit of development.Our first upgraded room was broken up and static...not to our liking.I was shown another and it was much more comfortable and to our taste.The front desk staff was very responsive to our needs.Our disappointment came when we ordered room service and had to explain to the service person on the phone exactly what was on the menu.When the meal come it was close to what we ordered but not exact. Language barrier with the wait staff.It also happened on the second night.I wrote a note re: food and left it on the tray.Right away the phone rang and the Manager,Ashley called to apologize profusely. He kindly offer to remove the food charges,adjust our other charges and invited us to lunch the next day.We met him the next morning at check out and he was very charming and apologetic.I think we just experienced a momentary glitch in service at an otherwise lovely spot.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reelwoman
ChewtonGlenNewForest, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
First and foremost I would like to thank this guest for taking the time and trouble to provide us with their careful and considered feedback, which we find invaluable. Although saddened to learn that the first room we showed was not to this guest’s liking, I am pleased to see that we were able to swiftly rectify this with an alternative. We are very fortunate to have a property with a variety of bedrooms that are all different and unique in their own individual style. Should these guests return to us again in the future, my colleagues in our reservations department would be only too happy to try to accommodate them in a similarly styled room.

I was most concerned, however, with this guest’s comments regarding their room service experience during their stay at Chewton Glen, which I find most upsetting. For us to incur a lapse in service once during a guest stay is very disappointing; but for the same shortfall to occur twice is clearly unacceptable. I am only grateful that our Hotel Manager Ashley Ely was on hand to rectify this avoidable situation and I trust that the recompense that he gestured for our errors was appropriate.

Despite these shortfalls, which I would indeed like to agree and hope were a momentary glitch, I still remain confident that these guests will return to us again in the near future. Ashley Ely has in fact asked that these guests contact him directly, should they wish to return, so that he can oversee their reservation personally. We all certainly look forward to the opportunity to welcome these guests back again to Chewton Glen very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
#1 of 2 in Burley
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!