“Pure luxury and relaxation”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We visited Chewton Glen to celebrate my partners 40th birthday and have a relaxing weekend away. We were blown away by the quality of the hotel and service -it really was like stepping into another world and everyone was so friendly, helpful and keen to ensure we enjoyed our stay. It was the perfect place to celebrate in luxury, with sumptuous rooms, and a top notch spa (which wasn't crowded even at weekends) and other leisure facilities. However I was disappointed that when on booking I informed staff it was my partners 40th birthday, the only thing offered was the option of a cake at dinner for the price of £17.50!

Only a small point in the face of such amazing service and quality elsewhere, but the food service did disappoint us several times, and I would echo everything said in review from 12th July. We waited 40 mins for wine and an hour for starters at dinner, with not enough people serving. Dinner was good but definitely not worth £140, and service was also poor for breakfast and room service which were also extortionate (£26 each breakfast, £45 for 2 sandwiches, fries and tea in room service). Toast at breakfast took ages to come (30 mins) -I ended up eating my scrambled eggs without it, which when you pay that much is not on. Room service lunch arrived with 2 salts (no pepper), no milk with tea, which cost £5 and was I drinkable and stewed by time milk arrived.

There was no feedback form and I was not asked if all was ok with stay when checking out which I find a bit arrogant, so hopefully they will receive this feedback.

My tip for dinner is to book Pebble Beach -amazing location overlooking sea, fantastic tasty food (better and cheape than CG) and staff even recommended a cheaper bottle of wine than we ordered which was delicious!

Don't let the above put you off though -to be fair lots was included in bill I didn't expect (no tipping as included in price, complimentary newspapers etc). I would definitely go back for a special occasion as was such an amazing place, in immaculate grounds. Spa treatments were fabulous too.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We returned to the magical Chewton Glen for our 2nd wedding anniversary in June. Once again we received a warm welcome from the conceirge who took our bags and showed us to reception. They friendly receptionist checked my hubby and I in and escorted us to our room pointing out the key areas enroute.

Our room was stunning with not one but two beautiful balconies overlooking the gorgeous and lovingly maintained grounds. The bathroom was incredible with a huge shower and seperate bath tub complete with a TV!

My hubby and I headed down to the spa where we hibernated for the next few hours before returning to our room to settle down and watch a movie, loaned from the hotels DVD collection.

The hotel had kindly made our welcome even more perfect with a bottle of champagne, balloon and anniversary card.

This hotel is truly a unique find, friendly staff, exceptional service, amazing facilities and breath taking grounds. I would recommend this hotel and if you want to have a truly fantastic experience splash out on their new tree house suites...we will be back and have started saving for our tree house experience for our 3rd anniversary!!!

Enjoy!

Room Tip: They are all beautiful, but if you want a special treat head for the Tree House suites...I will be v...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Having heard about this hotel from Chris Evans on Radio 2 (Magnificent Seven experience for Children in Need) we decided to give it a try for part of our family holiday this year. First impressions were excellent - a friendly welcome at Reception, a well appointed room (we had the Phantom Ship suite), good quality bathroom products and excellent standard of cleanliness.The ability to close the sliding doors between the bedroom and sitting room was a great idea - plenty of space during the day and the privacy required by a 13 year old (and his parents) by night!
Unfortunately the restaurant experience was rather disappointing. Our first night dining here was on a Saturday night. The dining room was busy and appeared inadequately staffed with no clearly identifiable restaurant manager taking control. The food was priced at gourmet prices, but did not deliver on quality. Service was very slow and we had to request the bread which was offered to other tables as a matter of course.
We gave the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and dined again on the second night. The restaurant was quieter, as expected for a Sunday, and service was better, but the food still did not deliver to the standard that would be expected for the prices charged. The starters were priced at £15-19 and the main courses were £26 up to £43.
My son opted for room service on the 3rd night and thoroughly enjoyed his burger and a DVD and I have to admit that the 3rd night was the best for service and food quality for me and my husband, although, in my opinion, still overpriced. On the 4th night we chose to eat elsewhere - the menu at Chewton Glen did not change and "trolley specials" are only available at weekends.
Don't expect anything other than a leisurely breakfast - food quality for breakfast is good, but again, service is very slow and in my opinion breakfast is very expensive (£21 for continental buffet breakfast and an extra £5 for the cooked option).
The dining room was the only disappointment during our visit to Chewton Glen - the Falconry experience was faultless (thanks to Bob and Toby) and the location was good for Go Ape and Beaulieu which both provided excellent family entertainment. The swimming pool and bubble room (part of the spa) were very good and it was a pleasant walk through the woods to get to the coast. Although there are 2 pools (one indoor, one outdoor), children can only use the indoor pool for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. As this is supposed to be a family hotel, perhaps the timings should be reversed so that the 9-10 and 4-5 slots are adults only.
The dining room is the only factor that would stop me from re-booking. If the food had been better and the service was more consistent, we might have planned a return visit, but as we have seen the attractions in the immediate neighbourhood, we would be more likely to pick an alternative hotel for a future family break if we were to return to the New Forest area again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Explorerdee
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We were in the area on family business so didn’t want to splash the cash too much and had booked a minimum room for our two night stay. It was therefore delightful when, on arrival, we were advised we had been upgraded. Always a great start. Our car was whisked away and our bags had arrived in our room before us – how?
We got a great room with a lovely view of the croquet lawn, huge comfortable bed, great sofa and seating area, huge dressing room area and gorgeous bathroom with a shower for two (fun!).
Our first night we had been travelling and visiting people so we settled on room service for dinner which was fine – nothing amazing – but delivered and collected speedily and charmingly. You couldn’t really ask for more. The next evening we ate at the restaurant and had a really good (not great) meal. The dover sole was excellent . The restaurant was the only area of the hotel where the staff were not 100% engaged although by normal standards they were fine.
The hotel’s grounds are quite splendid, the spa looked incredibly tempting, the afternoon tea was superb and the public areas are large, comfortable and varied. We were lucky that one evening the sun came out and we were able to have a glass of champagne outside and get a flavour of what the hotel must be like when the weather is kinder.
The new forest is just an idyll and Chewton Glen is an idyllic place to stay. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fleetcat
Reviewed 10 July 2012

spent a week with the family here in april - everything was superb. we only left the hotel twice in a week and to be honest the moment we left the gates we hurried back. thank you to Ashley Ely, the fantastic Sommeliers and all the staff that made the stay so special. a wonderful family memory.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mooro39
Reviewed 4 July 2012

A beautiful hotel with first class service from arrival to departure. I have stayed in many great hotels and Chewton Glen is up there. The rooms are well equiped and the staff could not be more helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alastair T
Reviewed 3 July 2012

...the further you can fall ! Chewton Glen,well known and much loved as a family run Hotel seems to be faultering under the new ownership - at least in the Restaurant and bar areas.
However,praise where it is due,the Spa areas and staff are still of a very high standard.The spa must rank as one of the best in the country.
This report focusses on the restaurant in the Hotel.The new decor is far from universally liked.That is a rather subjective opinion..but the the service,food quality and value less so.
With the exception of the wine waiter,I would describe the staffing as poor,some verging on the rude. We have had much better "customer rapport" with ordinary pubs down the road !
the food quality was patchy and did certainly not live up to expectations.
Overall verdict - enjoy the Spa , but avoid the restaurant !
I do hope the new owners get to grips with this ,as the house could still be one of the best in the south..in all departments. It will be some time before we venture back to eat - and I get the feeling that this view wont bother them. It would me,if i was the owner or general manager.
sincere best wihes to both.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in Burley
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!