“Yet another fabulous stay at Chewton Glen”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Bristol, UK
“Yet another fabulous stay at Chewton Glen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

I've been lucky enough to stay at Chewton Glen a number of times over the last five years and have found it to be consistently excellent. From the moment you pull up outside and your luggage is unloaded and taken to your room, to the minute you leave, the service is excellent.

The first time I came the "no tipping" policy had to be explained to me as it's so unusual, even in properties of this standard.

My massage was brilliant (ask for Sarah) and the wine tasting (run by the soon to be moving on Chief Sommelier Alan Holmes) was great.

Dinner in the Vetiver Restaurant was fantastic on both nights with excellent service from what seemed like an army of waiters.

Not cheap, but a stay at Chewton Glen is worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

I saved up to go for lunch at the chewton glen, and my fiancé and I went 3 weeks ago to celebrate our engagement and his birthday. It was amazing! I have been wanting to go to the chewton glen since doing a gcse project on it back in year 11, 10 years ago! And never been able to afford it.
It was everything I imagined and more, beautiful gardens, lovely attentive staff, and a gorgeous meal. I am absolutely chuffed to bits we were able to go there for a meal and maybe one day we can go back. Thank you for having us. Really recommend this gorgeous once in a lifetime place!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happychappie1234
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

Visited with husband and three children for three nights. Cannot fault this place. Staff were extremely professional from when we arrived to departure.
Room was very large and suited our needs perfectly.
Used spa and swimming pool which were immaculate. Had lunch in spa area which was great.
Lovely little touches including a plate of goodies for our children with their names piped on in chocolate!
Kids went to the hotel kids club for a few hours each day and had a fab time. Carved Halloween pumpkins which they were allowed to take home.
Main restaurant served great food. If I had to make one observation it would be to corden off an area so parents could dine with their children. Current policy is that to do so you must eat before 7pm but for some that is just too early.
Bar was nice too. Great afternoon tea and a specially designed one just for the kids. A pricey stay but worth every penny.

• Stayed October 2012
hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

The service at lunch was definitely indifferent certainly not the high standards we have previously experienced. The food was good and the grounds beautiful but overall we can only report that the standards have slipped.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank colcar
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

My sister and I checked into the Chewton Glen last week for two nights for some much needed rest and relaxation - I am still there mentally and wishing I was there physically!
The hotel is luxurious and yet so warm and friendly and the staff really cannot do enough for you. We did not venture much beyond the hotel although there is so much to see and do locally. We did a great walk down to the beach, through the grounds and Chewton Bunny Nature Reserve which was really enjoyable and we loved viewing the new Tree Houses which the staff were happy to show us.
Most of our time I have to say was spent in fluffy white dressing gowns in the spa. We each had a facial which was of an exceptionally high standard and the therapists and pool bar staff were very attentive throughout our stay.
We had a late leisurely breakfast in Vetiver Restaurant each day overlooking the grounds. The choice is extensive and the food of a very high quality. We did not dine in the restaurant in the evening - couldn't tear ourselves out of those fluffy dressing gowns - but we did have room service, which was delivered promptly and again of a very high standard.
A wonderful break at this fantastic hotel - an oasis in the New Forest.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

What a beautiful property, shame it's managed so poorly. Service was so third rate we had to check out a day early. We couldn't figure out if it was indifference or incompetence, but the five of us were not happy with the service quality. Although food is OK, it is not in line with the quality at other Relais & Chateaux, and certainly doesn't justify the price. I would not recommend this property, especially that there are so many other options within a couple of hours from London.

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank Sa3dy
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
I was bitterly disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during this stay. It was most unfortunate that the start of your stay was marred by a long wait in London for your chauffeur transfer. I must be transparent in this matter, as I was in person, during your stay. In complete honesty your transfer arrived at Chewton Glen instead of Baker Street London due to a clerical error. On your arrival an apology was given however clearly the details as to why your transfer was late was immaterial at this stage. I regret that my colleague’s explanation of what had transpired was intended to account for what had happened but understandably this caused you further distress which was not the intention.

I was pleased to see that you found the property to be beautiful and I was also delighted to see the children having a lovely time. It is most regretful that you found it necessary to check out early and this is something we never wish to have happen at Chewton Glen.
Although my team and I always try to go above and beyond when unfortunately things do go wrong occasionally from time to time, I was saddened that we were not able to turn the tables this time.
Broadway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

We've stayed at Chewton Glen a few times before and always been impressed. However, the Tree Houses take it to another level. It was a Birthday treat from my wife so no idea of the costings but I would say it's one of the top 5 hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. The attention to detail; the quality of the finish; the outdoor space complete with hot tub; the room service and attentiveness of the staff - discreet yet helpful - ticked every box. We dined in the restaurant on our second night and the quality of the food remains first rate. The walk down to the Beach and along the sea front to Muddeford is also worth doing - you can catch the ferry across to the spit where there is an excellent beachside restaurant/bar serving fresh seafood and fish.
All in all, a great weekend.

Room Tip: Any Tree House room.