“Outstanding!”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This hotel is exceptional. From the minute you arrive you they literally take care of you. Your comfort is their priority and each time we've been there are personal touches that make the guest feel special. The beds are so comfy you have to drag yourself out of them, or give in and snuggle up for a cosy afternoon movie with homemade scones from the afternoon tea room service menu. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for the staff at Chewton Glen. The food, spa, bar are all just as you would hope them to be in an ultimate luxurious country hotel, everything is first class. This time we stayed in the stunning new tree houses. The hot tubs were the highlight as you overlook a stunning view as you relax in them with a glass of champagne, and the clever room designs mean that not only couples can enjoy the luxury these tree houses offer, families can too. As the tree houses are separated from the main hotel, a breakfast hamper is delivered each morning which the kids of course loved. You can't get bored staying at Chewton Glen as it offers so much within the hotel but also locally in the gorgeous New Forest. As you can tell, it would take a lot to beat this outstanding country hotel experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,952)

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We came here for our 1st year wedding anniversary for afternoon tea that we had booked months beforehand. When we initially made the booking we asked if we could stay for the night but we were told that for a weekend stay it was a minimum of 2 nights stay. I advised it was our 1st year wedding anniversary but was told that they could not offer us 1 nights stay but nearer the time they would contact us if a room became available for one night.
The morning of our tea we called the hotel to book the chauffeur service and was asked if we were staying at the hotel, we advised that unfortunately we were told we could not stay for 1 night when we made the booking and the lady said that it was a shame as there was availability for 1 night. This was disappointing as the hotel made no effort to contact us to tell us this although they had promised to.
When we arrived we waited to enter the room where afternoon tea was being served and no one came over to see us. After 5 minutes other people arrived and were shown straight in whilst we were left feeling as though we were not important enough to be seen to. Eventually a gentleman asked if we were being looked after and then showed us to our table. We were led through a lovely lounge area with comfy looking sofas where people were taking their tea and we were taken to another room which lacked the warmth and atmosphere to the first room (clearly the first room must have been for residents).
We were given a menu and asked what we would like, I explained that we had champagne afternoon tea booked and handed over the booking paperwork. I was disappointed that they were not aware that this had already been booked.
We received our glass of champagne and a little while later we received our sandwiches, cakes and scones which were delicious. I was disappointed that although they kept coming over to ask if we wanted more cups of tea, we were not asked if we would like anymore sandwiches or cakes etc which most other hotels would offer. I also found it quite rude that residents were allowed to walk through the dining area in their dressing gowns and slippers whilst we were eating!
There was a clear difference to how residents were treated and how we were treated.
Overall I feel very let down by Chewton Glenn as we were so looking forward to this treat and in the end left feeling very disappointed.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I stayed at this famous hotel for the first time last week. Obviously I had read the hype and I wondered if it deserved all the acclaim and having already stayed at some of the best hotels in the UK, I was not prepared to be too easily impressed.

I arrived in the dark, so the first opportunity for the hotel to start wooing me came when I pulled up outside the reception and went in to register. From that point onward things went from good to fantastic and kept on climbing. I was greeted at reception with great warmth, “welcome we were told you would be arriving much later so it’s lovely you have made it in time to join your friends etc let us take the car away for you and get you into your room ………” Then the room itself, beautiful, spacious and with two balconies, a huge bathroom, a comfy sitting room and a massive bed, a free mini bar, luxury toiletries etc it was all there.
My friends and I had a sensational meal that night accompanied by a selection of outstanding wines.
The next morning I ordered coffee to the room for 6.00am and it came on time, breakfast at 8.00am again arrived on time. My only complaint was that the chef needs to go easy on the vinegar in the poaching water for his eggs! I will happily return and teach him the secret of perfect poached eggs if it gives me an excuse to come back to CG.
I then had a spa treatment, lounged around for as long as possible and finally checked out at 11.00am. And my wonderful stay was over far too quickly and already feels like a little dream.
So well done everyone at Chewton Glen, I was sceptical before I arrived but I am now happy to say……..you and your hotel are indeed…….Jolly Impressive.

Room Tip: Room 40 is very lovely and has two balconies
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ayubg
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I was taken here as a surprise last weekend, and was blown away from the moment we arrived until we left. The Service in this Hotel is outstanding. Staff are professional, courteous, friendly and efficient, what more can you ask for?!! when we drove up to reception, we were greeted by staff who parked our car, carried bags to room, and put away coats etc.. we stayed in a Suite which was beautiful.... 2 balconies facing the lawn, 3 flatscreen TV's, A Bose Sound Dock, and an impressive bathroom, double Sinks, double Bath, Double Shower, Separate loo, etc...
I recommend the walk through the forest to the beach... especially at sunset, gorgeous views... The Spa is well worth a visit.. massive pool, separate Hydrotherapy room, outdoor Jacuzzi, and separate Steamroom / Sauna for Men and Women, in their respective changing rooms.
Dinner also was a delight, and the Sommelier Katrina, really knows her stuff.. I could wax lyrical for a few more pages, you get the idea. well worth a visit - beautiful place, finishing touches are second to none, and outstanding staff.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a suite.
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed in the Treehouse Loft Suite for 2 nights, 17-19 November 2012. It's definitely five out of five. Normally I have one or two 'cons' or 'weaknesses' , but I hold my hands up to this one. They have got this dead-right. It was worth every expensive penny.

Luxurious furnishings. Large open space. Huge terrace with hot tub (my 3 kids loved this). Top new equipment. £1,000 espresso machine in your own room ! Hampers hand delivered to your room. My god, this was THE hotel experience. Best we have had, and it will take a while to surpass it. Chewton Glen, you have created a rod for your own back with these Treehouses - who is going to want to stay in the actual hotel now ????

Room Tip: Get a Treehouse.
1  Thank Justin74London
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Recently a friend of mine from London came down to the New Forest to
stay and enjoyed the most fantastic eight days at Chewton Glen's Spa on
Day passes. We decided on this programme to prepare ourselves for the
festive season by losing some weight. We have both been transformed,
starting with juices for two days with interesting and diverse exercise
sessions on a one to one basis or as a group for pilates and aqua
aerobics and finishing each day with one of the many fantastic
treatments including sea weed body wrap, collagen facial, ila body
scrub, reflexology and on the final day the most amazing oxygen facial.
Included in this great package was the interesting and varied lunches or
freshly made fruit juices. We are now both ready to continue with our
diets and will be totally on form for the coming festive season. It
only remains to stay an enormous thank you to all at The Chewton Glen
Spa, we could not have done this without your help and wonderfully well
organised programme.

1  Thank cmjm10
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The Chewton Glen is a fine hotel, however during my recent stay there a couple of things went wrong which are not really compatable with the "claimed" status of the hotel or the prices charged.

Firstly on the Saturday, we returned to our room from the very nice pool/spa in order to prepare for dinner, during the hour & 20 mins we had set aside for this - the only water we could get to come out of the taps in the bathroom was cold,

Secondly during the dinner, the timelag between delivery of the main course and side dishes was unacceptable - I would have hoped the restaurant could manage to provide them at the same time, but minutes later! the main course would have been quite cool - if I would have waited.....as it was we decided to start, by the time the side dishes arrived - they were virtually a desert!

These experiences take the gloss of a weekend stay, and do not encourage me to revist or to recommend the hotel to anyone I know, sub-standard service I can get almost anywhere and always at a lower price!

Oh - one last thing - they need to do something about the fllooring / floorboards, verytime someone walked past our in the night I was woke up, the vibration / sounds are not conducive to undisturbed sleep.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
7 mi away
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
3 mi away
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!