“A wonderful family celebration”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A wonderful family celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I booked three standard rooms for a 3 days weekend break for my family. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was upgraded to a suite at no extra charge. I have stayed at the hotel on other occasions going back 25 years and I keep returning for special events. The hotel has changed in 25 years as it now allows children to stay and dine but my family are now all adults. The Chewton Glen is in my opinion still the best place for a luxury treat without any of the snobishness and formality that sometimes comes with luxury. The hotel is very well staffed and every request for little extras was rapidly fulfilled. The dining experience for teas, sandwiches, snacks and full dinners is superb and we eat in for all meals. Yes it is expensive - but you get what you pay for - superb food and service and an excellent chioce of food and wines. My family greatly enjoyed the walks in the extensive grounds, the 15 min walk down Chewton Bunny to the sea and the indoor and outdoor tennis courts- not to mention the luxurious pool and spa. Ther was no need to leave the hotel for anything and we were really pampered. Cant wait to go back for another family celebration

Room Tip: They are all excellent- even the basic rooms but the suites are very big and luxurious and come with...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

A year ago we had to write a less than satisfactory review on afternoon tea at Chewton Glenn. A year on and we revisited.
This time it could not have been better, friendly, courteous, professional staff together with an excellent tea and service.
We will return.
Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Diana B
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were in the New Forest for three days (two nights) which was sad, for an extra day would be for free. We booked a package, this included two times a 5 course dinner and breakfast. It was a pitty that the restaurant seemed not to know of this deal. It caused confusion, which was not necessary.
The quality of the food was much better than we would have in a pub, but we didnot think it was worth the price we paid.
The facilities, like the gym and the spa/swimming pool are awsome. One of the best we ever had.
Though the whole experience was quite expensive, overall we loved our stay and cetainly would come again if the occasion is there. Checking in and checking out was really easy.
The hotel staf is very friendly and accurate.

Room Tip: We had room 24, though this meant an extra stair, it was a very good room.
1 Thank Alex W
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I took my partner here for our anniversary I got a fantastic offer on a room and dinner was included.

The hotel is gorgeous and set in amazing grounds situated a stones throw from the New Forest and the Sea so you have the best of both worlds!

The Spa is good but we have stayed in hotels of the same quality with better spas I think it needs updating.

The room was fantastic spacious and cosy with a luxurious bathroom and large comfy bed.

At dinner time we went for the tasting menu which was really good the food was all beautifully presented and tasted very good. The only slight let down is the service which is average. Its not the service is bad its just not in keeping with the hotel and the food. This is Chewton Glen you have a Michelin starred chef cooking you are eating in a 5 red star hotel but getting an ordinary service. They seem to do the bare minimum rather than going the extra mile and they lack the knowledge you'd expect from the ilk of food being served.

Having said this the service isn't bad its just average so doesn't take away from the whole experience and other factors do make up for it - but should they?

We will definitely be back but for a special occasion its very pricey!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Arundel, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

The occasion was my sisters' 50th Birthday - a landmark birthday requiring a suitably fitting treat. I had heard good things about Chewton Glen and wanted to treat my sister to an overnight stay there. We are both single women, each on a limited income, so we would not usually be able to splash out on such a luxurious place to stay. My sister (a mother of two who she bought up practically single handed and as the only breadwinner), works tirelessly in Social Services looking after elderly, infirm people in their own homes - she's one of those Florence Nightingale types, with the patience and kindness of a Saint, putting everyone else's needs first before her own. Always rushing around on tight schedules for no thanks and little pay - but it's her vocation in life. As if that's not enough, when she gets home from work, she is the full time carer for our elderly and infirm parents who are in their 80's. I can't tell you how much she needed and deserved a few days of escapism, away from all the daily grind. The staff at CHEWTON GLEN were AMAZING, from the moment we arrived to the moment we (reluctantly) departed - even to the point of surprising us with complimentary bottled water for our journey home! Their attention to detail was second to none and the surprise in our room of a helium balloon, and birthday card for my sister was a lovely touch. They had also upgraded our standard room (I could only afford the entry level accommodation) to an amazing suite over looking the Croquet Lawn (something that would have cost me approx three times more than I had paid. It made our stay even more enjoyable (as sisters we had shared a bedroom for many years growing up as children, but as mature adults, the extra space was much appreciated!) The food at breakfast and in the restaurant for dinner was delicious and faultless, the service impeccable, the ambience - relaxing. The poolside and changing rooms were immaculately clean at all times, which is a tall order given the nature of wet areas. The range of toiletries in our enormous bathroom were lavish and of excellent quality. Fine furnishings and decor all in a good state of repair. I only wish I had been able to afford a stay of more than one night - I will DEFINITELY be back for another visit. True the cost of the wine at dinner was expensive but then they do have one of the finest (award winning) wine lists in the UK - so I guess a price tag to match is not too much of a surprise. I wish more people would admit when they have had an amazingly good customer service experience rather than just talk about the times they were disappointed. Book this hotel if you want the BEST experience and a relaxed stay in serene surroundings in the New Forest - you too, will be glad you did :-) (Below is the email I sent to the staff following my stay)

Dear all at Chewton Glen

I apologise for this being a week overdue, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO, So, SO, much for the absolutely lovely stay at your gorgeous hotel - you made my sister's 50th birthday a really special event and although she was determined to be miserable about turning 50 she actually really had the most amazing time - thanks 100% to you and your amazing staff.

You kindly considered my limited budget and managed to get me a night that I could afford and then you very generously upgraded me and my sister to a beautiful room overlooking the Croquet Lawn.

I am determined to save up and come back to stay with you again. I think it was Sylvia that helped us out (is that correct?-sorry I am rubbish with names...) - she put us in the lovely 'Squirrel' room which was AMAZING! and i hope I can stay there again.

The food in the restaurant was also amazing as was the incredible wine list!

If I win the lottery - I will book a room permanently and move in! :-)

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH from the bottom of my heart.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful - choose the best you can afford but overlooking the Croquet Lawn did it for...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had a great stay in one of the tree houses couple of weeks ago. The hotel's location in the new forest near the coast made our stay truly amazing. We went on long walks and enjoyed the nature and the exceptional service provided by hotel staff. Our holiday was magical, something we love to remember.

Room Tip: Rooms at the hotel are as nice as the treehouses
1 Thank MagnumMandy
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Was lucky enough to stay in one of the tree houses last weekend at Chewton Glen. As soon as I arrived I felt relaxed and at home. The staff did there up most to attend to any of my needs and where a very polite. it was great fun going back and forth to the tree house in one of the buggies.

The room was truly amazing. i have stayed all of the world due to work, unfortunately not always great hotels. So when i get to stay in a great one i truly appreciate it. The room did just that! It was very well decorated, had a great feel and offered anything you could wish for. Also a massive plus side that mini bar was free! :-)

The dinner in the evening was fantastic and the local walks and country side where beautiful.

i could not rate this hotel higher

Room Tip: Tree house is amazing, but the other rooms are fantastic also!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,116 reviews

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!