Back again in the Tree Houses @ Chewton Glen, this time for a few more days than the couple of nights we spent here last year. I am delighted to say that the stay remains a great treat.
This time we're in a loft suite with a twin room upstairs...but without the kids, it's unnecessary. Lovely as it is, I wouldn't pay for the extra space (unless the kids were with us). It remains a costly break - for us, it's worth it, but will only remain thus whilst CG supplies the very attentive and thoughtful service to which we are accustomed.
There are - sadly - a few very petty signs of the offering being eroded. As with a number of uber luxurious hotels/ cruise lines, you see little things being taken away and these are always very minor and,one might think, penny pinching eg while they used to have jars of soaps and many bathroom products, these are now more restricted. They provide an equipped kitchen, coffees, biscuits etc, these are not replaced. Water is ( and at a generous 4 litres a day) but when you pay the best part of £1000 per night, these other erosions seem silly and unnecessary; I can't imagine that the sort of people who are inclined to take advantage of the previously generous provisions stay here. It seemed to me before that the hotel treated their guests as grown ups and recognized their wish to have a sense of abundance. It's simply not fitting in a hotel of this type.
Disappointingly, the food is still below par for this type of hotel. The restaurant service is attentive but somewhat gauche.
All of this apparent negativity will not stop me coming back to the Tree Houses. They are beautifully equipped, exceedingly comfortable and private. What would stop me visiting would be any deterioration in general service levels and I confess that my complaints in this regard are few. However, they have to go above and beyond in this market. They go above but not quite beyond. It's an increasingly competitive market at the top end, especially in the country house hotel.
To end, my benchmark has always been the MO in HK and Seabourn - as it used to be. Close here, but no cigar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An English Original. Chewton Glen is a luxury hotel and spa set in 130 acres of Hampshire countryside on the edge of the New Forest National Park and just a few minutes walk from the sea.12 new luxury treehouse suites now open. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chewton Glen Hotel New Milton
- Chewton Glen Hotel And Spa
- Hotel Chewton Glen
- Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa New Milton, Hampshire