“Still great!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
London, United Kingdom
“Still great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I spent one night at the Chewton Glen on business. I have stayed here before and although I might be at risk of repeating myself, this is a splendid place with delightful staff and one is certainly made to feel at home! The dinner was delicious and the cheeze souffle as a starter was exceptionally good - don't miss it if you like a good souffle! The beef was excellent and the chocolate fondant with pistaccio ice cream is a great dessert! The flowers around the hotel deserve a special mention as they are spectacular and the gardeners have clearly worked very thoughtfully to create such a marvellous display. If you like kippers for breakfast, order them here as they serve the ones which don't have bones and they taste great. We got plenty of work done in a convivial atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Benfleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent one night at Chewton Glen and just wished it could have been longer. From the moment we arrived until we left, every member of staff were so helpful and welcoming. Our room was so luxurious we didn't want to go out! However we spent some time in the marvellous spa, which was so relaxing and enjoyed a delicious breakfast. We visited nearby Christchurch which is a lovely town. We would love to return one day and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Pamela J
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Having arrived in the New Forest 2 days previously with a surprise weekend, with friends, at Lime Wood I didn't really know how my 40th birthday celebrations could get any better!

I quickly realised as we pulled up outside the impressive frontage and warmly greeted by a smart and very quick witted doorman that I was one very lucky lady!

We were told to leave the car and our belongings and were shown around the lounges and restaurant by an incredibly professional and respectful member of the reception team (he said to me "I believe this is a special celebration is this something that you are happy for us to acknowledge!" How very tactful!

Our treehouse wasn't yet ready (it was 2pm after all) so we enjoyed a delicious cup of tea and homemade flapjack amongst other treats with a wonderful backdrop of sunshine and a pianist no less (this may have been due to it being Sunday lunchtime?) which we loved!

We then hopped into one of the few dedicated golf carts which are available night and day to transport you too and from the Treehouses (ours was Spruce the very last Treehouse so a good 10 minute walk away from the main hotel and spa)!

Upon our arrival my expectations where again exceeded as we quickly realised they had unloaded our jam packed car (I had no less than 40 presents plus pretty much all of my wardrobe just in case!) So all that was left for us to do was open all the bi-folding doors, strike a match to the wood burner and open the champagne!

The Treehouse was nothing like I had imagined, far more spacious and luxurious- see photos! (I have never seen so many fluffy towels/soaps and magazines in any hotel bathroom before) it had THE biggest Bath, albeit that the plug didn't work, built in TV, that you couldn't switch off!, fantastic monsoon shower and not forgetting the underfloor heating all of which overlooked the woodland.

I was pleased that we had no Neighbours (there are two treehouses per pod) because actually our decks are only divided by a canvas sail which isn't 100% flush to the wall and when you have your own hot tub it's nice not to have to worry about your neighbours seeing you!

Sadly due to a design fault (so the very friendly maintenance guy told us) we couldn't use half of our deck as every few moments a waterfall crashed down from the flat roof (even though it wasn't raining) and made the deck incredibly slippy and the table and chairs er well very wet and unusable. This was annoying especially as it was an incredible mild few days that we were there in January, however, the alternative was to fling open all the doors and snuggle up in the ginormous bed and enjoy breakfast, a tough life!

You really do have everything you need in your treehouse, a fridge stocked with water and milk, state of the art coffee machine, teas, homemade biscuits upon arrival (shame there not re-stocked each day) so actually you don't need to leave during your entire stay! (perfect for honeymooners) we ordered one of the delicious suppers from the hamper menu (all done via the ipad like system
which was very user friendly). We could have requested the meal be left in the hatch (like they do for breakfast) but we were happy for them to come in and they laid up the table (sadly not with linen) I had the Lobster curry and my husband the Buffalo lasagne as our main course and they were fantastic!

Breakfast was delivered via the hatch at 7:30 each morning (not a requested time) and as I am a light sleeper I did hear them but I don't think you can avoid this unless you ask them just to leave it by you front door)!

Each morning was slightly different, smoked salmon, cream cheese and a bagel one day muesli another porridge, fresh fruit! Always accompanied with such a generous amount of mini croissants, pain au chocolate, muffins, breads and dawn pressed juices wonderfully fresh and super filling! (So probably just as well the don't re-stock the biscuits!)

I used the gym (much needed after the afore mentioned breakfasts) which was well equipped but sadly the staff just weren't welcoming or anywhere near as helpful as the other staff members we had met. Indeed I barely was greeted with a hello and felt awkward having to ask where the gym was! I did, however, attend two very good class's in their studio where the instructor was fantastic and super friendly (I would advise to pre-book as they were busy classes!)

So my actual birthday arrives and we took their advice of a lovely wonder through the grounds and down to the beach (highly recommended) we headed back and I was greeted with a lovely card, balloon and delicious Champagne from the Chewton Glen team which was a really lovely touch and very much appreciated.

I then had a further treat of having my make up done (I opted for a smoky eye which I wouldn't ever normally choose) I was pleasantly surprised, sadly my husbands shave wasn't at all what he had experienced before, having a five o'clock shadow just a few hours later! they didn't charge us for this when he raised it with one of the Management team).

That night we headed to the bar enjoying a delicious champagne cocktail before dining in Vetiver and we absolutely had to have the 7 course taster menu with accompanying flight of wines (the sommelier was superb) and it did not disappoint it truly was a meal to remember, sadly seeing the newly appointed Assistant Restaurant Manager shouting and hissing at one of the junior staff members most of the evening didn't leave such a great taste in our mouths!

We headed to the spa late the next night and continued our unwind - we near enough had the place to ourselves as it was 7:30pm! It was wonderful although a shame that both the sauna and steam rooms are located in the changing rooms so my husband and I couldn't enjoy these together!

Overall I felt very lucky to be celebrating at Chewton Glen, however, there where a few things that would make us question wether we stay there again especially having had such a wonderful few days at Lime Wood previously!

My husband did discuss our concerns (a few additional issues not mentioned in this review) with
The Management Team and they were hugely apologetic and incredibly generous in an attempt to reconcile our stay,indeed, offering a free overnight stay in the coming year! Sadly my first thought rather than excitement is it's a long way from our home in Cambridge!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Four for lunch last Friday....Everything was to the usual high standard, bar the rather sparse gnocchi, which needed an additional salad ....slightly let the "side" down....
Will we come again, yes of course!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as a celebration for his birthday and for a 1 year remission from cancer and it was all that we could have hoped for! We were upgraded to a Junior Suite that was amazing and we could not fault the hotel in any way. We used the spa facilities and found the whole experience very restful. Breakfast was a very pleasant event, being very well cooked and the buffet had numerous choices as you would expect but the whole atmosphere and levels of service are seamless and faultless

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dingdong4
ChewtonGlenNewForest, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Guests

What a delight to read your recent review on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the wider world.

We were so pleased to see that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With warmest wishes,

Andrew Stembridge
Managing Director
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just returned from a two night stay for my Husbands birthday treat. Our room was a very good size and in very good condition, Spa was excellent, we both had treatments and they were great, Spa facilities and Gym were also fab. Food was excellent but expensive and I have never seen such a large wine list but be careful when ordering as the wine prices range from £30 to a couple of thousand!
Staff were lovely and the service was top quality, we will be returning and would love to try one of the treehouses next time with the kids

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa K
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I'm writing this review on our last night here whilst relaxing in front of the tele, and am so pleased to share my thoughts on the last few days here.

Firstly our room was amazing. A huge suite with a separate bedroom upstairs has provided comfort and luxury on many levels. A recommendation to all TA readers is to book the Edith Beverley suite without hesitation!

The food, on the whole, has been lovely. Breafast items freshly cooked and of superior quality, and a special mention to the Burger at lunch which was fantastic - the beef was of exceptional quality.

Staff are wonderful - they all seem to take real pride in providing a high level of service and making guests feel at ease. From the front desk staff (must give Lea a mention as she has been friendly and professional in every way) to the charming young waiters and waitresses that served our breakfasts every morning.

Only slight disappointment was the unusability of the par 3 golf course which would have filled a couple of hours of my afternoon really nicely. Whilst I understand that golf isn't something guests necassarily want to play in February, I would have expected this hotel to ensure the maintenance of the course to allow some hotel guests to play if they wish!

Nevertheless, we have felt extremely spoilt for the last few days and would not hesitate in booking another stay here at Chewton Glen in the near future. It has has felt like a real 5 star home away from home!

Room Tip: Edith Beverley Suite - dont think just book it if money isn't much of an issue!