“Nice Place, Good Spa”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
london
“Nice Place, Good Spa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visited Chewton Glen for my husbands birthday.The hotel it self is a pretty place although you may be surprised by it's location beyond the gates. The hotel is traditional but not tired at all. It has good in room amenities like bose sound system,tablet to order room service and tv in the bathroom, so it has some modern touches. We stayed in a room called pirates and 3 cutlers , it was a nice spacious, clean room with pleasant views of the grounds. The afternoon tea and spa treatment are really good. We had the 7 course taster menu and there was alot of food, so if your a food you'll love it. The service is polite and friendly. We had a few issues on booking requests being forgotten but we hope to return and have an excellent second experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ChewtonGlenNewForest, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for visiting Chewton Glen recently to celebrate your husband's birthday.

I was so pleased to see that this was a most memorable stay and that you intend to come back again soon.

Do let me know when you intend to return as I would like to personally ensure that all the arrangements are in order.

With kind regards,

Andrew Stembridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have just returned from Chewton Glen and while it is a lovely Hotel in a nice settings at these prices the food could be improved. On the first night dinner was OK. but not 5 star ! at breakfast my wife asked for gluton free bread it arrived very late and when she tried it,it was not gluton free bread at all . That evening at dinner I decided to just keep it simple we ordered the dressed crab, steak for me and my wife went for the lamb, the lamb taste was completely overshadowed by the smoky vegetables and the steak was tough and poor quality meat. At breakfast the next morning the gluton free bread never arrived at all and the pot of tea we were served was cold. All this seems strange for such a smart Hotel with good staff and one that charges over £650 per night plus extras. All this said the Spa is wonderful the staff were friendly and the Hotel is in a good location for touring the New Forest.

Room Tip: There are some steep steps to some rooms do check before you book.
2 Thank stevev0
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

I was most saddened to see that the food and restaurant service fell well below your expectation during your recent stay; especially as it would appear that you enjoyed the other aspects of your experience.

On behalf of the kitchen and restaurant teams, please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointment caused. Thank you for the specific detail on where we might improve our food offering and service.

I do hope that this will not deter you from returning and with a view to reassuring you of our commitment to you as our guest I invite you to make contact with me directly.

With best wishes,

Andrew Stebridge
Mirfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had the good fortune to visit Chewton Glen during the Chris Evans Dirty Dozen experience for Children In Need. We arrived to find a dozen amazing cars on the beautifully manicured lawns, what a spectacular sight, The next morning the cars set off during the live breakfast show. The cars duly returned and a barbeque was held indoors with cooking by Jody Scheckter, we were very lucky indeed to enjoy these burgers for our evening meal, a big thank you to Mr Ely for organising such a treat. We were also given a pair of Pudsey Bears, named Ashley (after Mr Ely, the manager) and Alison (the lady on reception). We had a superb time, excellent service and food. If you cant afford to pick the phone up and bid for one of the cars then this is the next best thing. A big thank you to Mr Ely and his team for a most enjoyable stay.

Dear Guests,

Ashley, Alison and the rest of the team join me in thanking you for your glowing review. We were thrilled to be able to support Children in Need again this year and delighted that you enjoyed the event as much as we did.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Chewton Glen in the very near future.

With warmest wishes,

Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was lucky enough to organise an incentive trip for a goup of 34 people and as the organiser I also got to stay at the hotel. I booked the Chewton Glen for the trip because of its' outstanding reputation. We enjoyed private dining in the restaurant on one evening and a BBQ on another. We were very fortunate that the weather was spectacular and we were able to sit outside overlooking the grounds. The rooms were lovely and very clean - everything had been thought of. I booked a couple of the treehouse suites as a surprise for two lucky couples on the trip and these were AMAZING - they didn't want to leave. The reception staff were very attentive - upon departure I was asked if I wanted some cookies and cold water (it was a very hot day) for the journey - such a nice touch. It this kind of attention to detail that makes this hotel stand out from others. I'm sure all 35 of us have come away with some fabulous memories - I know I have.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jacqui B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We were honoured to host your recent event and delighted that you have all left with such positive memories of Chewton Glen.

I hope that this will be the first of many future visits for both you and your colleagues and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

With kind regards

Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have been going to the Chewton Glen since the early 90s when it was owned by the Skans (Scandinavian couple) and it has always been my favourite place to eat. Apart from a blip just after it changed hands a few years ago, it has been consistently good ever since. I now have the good fortune to live about 5 minutes away after moving to New Milton 3 years ago.

I had lunch in the Vetiver restaurant with a friend recently, which was excellent - even the bread rolls were delicious (especially the brown ones with fruit & walnut - I wish they sold them but it wouldn't be good for my waistline!)

The service, as always, was impeccable - polite, friendly and attentive. I think £25 + service for lunch of this standard is pretty good - compared with other restaurants in the area which may charge similar prices or less, but the food and service (and the beautiful surroundings) at the Chewton Glen is far superior. James Martin started his career here and occasionally gives demos + lunch or dinner. I went to a similar dinner/demonstration a few weeks ago with Tom Kitchin (a superb evening.)

I recommend the Chewton Glen for lunch or a special dinner. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I have not stayed at the Chewton Glen as I live nearby but I know all the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LynR6
Dear Guest

It is heart warming for us to read such a wonderful review from a regular guest. We are fortunate to have many good friends who live locally and support us regularly and I am delighted that we have consistently impressed you over a number of recent visits.

Thank you for your loyal support over many years.

With my very best wishes until next time,

Wantage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here as a couple in April in one of the Treehouses.

We were very excited about the prospect of staying in a treehouse. The checkin and welcome process was very easy. The gentleman that showed us to and around our treehouse was very helpful, although we didn't see any of the promised giraffes! :-)

Treehouse (5??/Spruce) was the farthest away which meant it was more scheduled and perfect for a romantic getaway utilising the huge jacuzzi as much as possible. The design was stunning and every extra was on hand to enjoy from coffee makers to sound systems and an open fire.

We felt that we used very little of the hotel as we wanted time for just us, that said we did eat in the restaurant on 1 night. The food was very nice if not exceptional and the service very good.

Likes : design, breakfast hamper, technology, space, jacuzzi and management attitude to addressing minor issues.

Dislikes : logistics if transport from treehouse is required. Didn't see any giraffes,

We will go back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your stay in the Tree Houses at Chewton Glen.

The giraffes are indeed elusive creatures, but I do hope that you caught sight of the deer, badgers and fox cubs which are regularly spotted in the valley.

The Tree houses are located 350m from hotel and we provide transfers on request between the hotel, spa and tree houses by a fleet of 3 electric buggies. I am terribly sorry if this arrangement was inconvenient or somehow went awry during your stay.

In any event, I was so pleased to note that you intend to return and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

With kind regards

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have just stayed here in one of the treehousesI and it was such a relaxing and enjoyable stay. The treehouses are beautifully designed and furnished. Amazing spa like bathroom, really spacious, well equipped with electronics and snacks. The outdoor space is very generous with room for lounges, chairs and, a table and most importantly a hot tub. Views are amazing from the balconies and I could have stayed for a long long time.

I also love the fact that service is included at the hotel so you don't have to keep thinking about when and how much to tip. Indeed our tip was turned down.

Also had a lovely facial in the spa and the weather was kind enough that we spent some time by the outdoor pool which was an unexpected surprise. The water was warm and the pool was quiet. With plenty of space.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,116 reviews

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!