“Wonderful Place to Relax and Recharge”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Place to Relax and Recharge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I hadn't taken a vacation without our kids for years, and we were looking for a great place to chill. Chewton Glen fit the bill and then some.

We were in a lovely suite (called Jacob Faithful, #6) with a tasteful balcony where we enjoyed breakfast in the morning and wine with cheese in the afternoon. Service was exceptional.

I recommend taking the 20 minute walk to the beach, what the British call the Jurassic Coast. It is beautiful in its ruggedness and easy to walk. Once you get to the beach, there is a beautiful castle another ten minutes westward. As always in the UK, the weather is unpredictable and ever changing. We had a little bit of rain for 10 percent of the walk, but it was fun.

Although Chewton Glen is old and charming, the spa is up to date. My wife and I each had massages, which were excellent.

Aside from our walk to the beach, we did not leave the property, which is enormous. We felt no need to, as we were so content. It's that kind of place.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ChewtonGlenNewForest, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guests

We were all delighted to read your review of your recent stay with us at Chewton Glen.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in England.

With best wishes

Andrew Stembridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

a birthday treat for my daughter from me and for me from my husband, we have both been here before so we knew how good it was going to be. Luxurious surroundings, pleasant helpful staff, nothing too much trouble. a wonderful way to chill out and enjoy being pampered. we just had a day visit, but it is also a hotel with beautiful parkland surroundings, and a very good restaurant.
the pool is a good size, plenty of loungers around it, the Spa adjacent is big with lots of choice to ease the aches and pains and the hot tub was bliss in the sunshine outside. yes, will go again sometime soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I was so pleased to see that you and your daughter had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us recently.

Delighted that you intend to return and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With best wishes,

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here for a weekend in the country with my girlfriend and really enjoyed it. The style of the place is very much 80s French country manor, this isn't a 'cool' place but nevertheless everything is top notch and with the service, the huge rooms, the food, large grounds and spa we had a great time. I didn't feel too great one night and had to leave the restaurant after ordering dinner. The staff were really nice about it, bringing my dinner to my room and asking about me the following day. Would definitely return here. It's also worth mentioning it's a nice walk (through a nature reserve) from the sea so a great location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Will F
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at Chewton Glen.

I was sorry to see that you were unwell whilst you were here and do hope that you made a quick recovery. On a positive note I was pleased to see that this didn't mar your stay and that you were able to enjoy the walk to the beach.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you and your girlfriend back in the not too distant future.

With warm regards

Larnaka City, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had champagne afternoon tea here as a birthday present and it was wonderful. The setting is lovely, the staff very attentive but not overly so. Good champagne, finger sandwiches, scones & jam & clotted cream and a multitude of cakes. Beautiful endless grounds to wander round. We will stay here one day as a special treat.

Dear Guest

I was thrilled to read that you had such a memorable afternoon tea at Chewton Glen recently.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

With warm wishes,

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We visited Chewton Glen for my husbands birthday.The hotel it self is a pretty place although you may be surprised by it's location beyond the gates. The hotel is traditional but not tired at all. It has good in room amenities like bose sound system,tablet to order room service and tv in the bathroom, so it has some modern touches. We stayed in a room called pirates and 3 cutlers , it was a nice spacious, clean room with pleasant views of the grounds. The afternoon tea and spa treatment are really good. We had the 7 course taster menu and there was alot of food, so if your a food you'll love it. The service is polite and friendly. We had a few issues on booking requests being forgotten but we hope to return and have an excellent second experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for visiting Chewton Glen recently to celebrate your husband's birthday.

I was so pleased to see that this was a most memorable stay and that you intend to come back again soon.

Do let me know when you intend to return as I would like to personally ensure that all the arrangements are in order.

With kind regards,

Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have just returned from Chewton Glen and while it is a lovely Hotel in a nice settings at these prices the food could be improved. On the first night dinner was OK. but not 5 star ! at breakfast my wife asked for gluton free bread it arrived very late and when she tried it,it was not gluton free bread at all . That evening at dinner I decided to just keep it simple we ordered the dressed crab, steak for me and my wife went for the lamb, the lamb taste was completely overshadowed by the smoky vegetables and the steak was tough and poor quality meat. At breakfast the next morning the gluton free bread never arrived at all and the pot of tea we were served was cold. All this seems strange for such a smart Hotel with good staff and one that charges over £650 per night plus extras. All this said the Spa is wonderful the staff were friendly and the Hotel is in a good location for touring the New Forest.

Room Tip: There are some steep steps to some rooms do check before you book.
2 Thank stevev0
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

I was most saddened to see that the food and restaurant service fell well below your expectation during your recent stay; especially as it would appear that you enjoyed the other aspects of your experience.

On behalf of the kitchen and restaurant teams, please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointment caused. Thank you for the specific detail on where we might improve our food offering and service.

I do hope that this will not deter you from returning and with a view to reassuring you of our commitment to you as our guest I invite you to make contact with me directly.

With best wishes,

Andrew Stebridge
Mirfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had the good fortune to visit Chewton Glen during the Chris Evans Dirty Dozen experience for Children In Need. We arrived to find a dozen amazing cars on the beautifully manicured lawns, what a spectacular sight, The next morning the cars set off during the live breakfast show. The cars duly returned and a barbeque was held indoors with cooking by Jody Scheckter, we were very lucky indeed to enjoy these burgers for our evening meal, a big thank you to Mr Ely for organising such a treat. We were also given a pair of Pudsey Bears, named Ashley (after Mr Ely, the manager) and Alison (the lady on reception). We had a superb time, excellent service and food. If you cant afford to pick the phone up and bid for one of the cars then this is the next best thing. A big thank you to Mr Ely and his team for a most enjoyable stay.

Dear Guests,

Ashley, Alison and the rest of the team join me in thanking you for your glowing review. We were thrilled to be able to support Children in Need again this year and delighted that you enjoyed the event as much as we did.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Chewton Glen in the very near future.

With warmest wishes,

Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,116 reviews

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!