“Top quality - but not quite the experience I'd hoped for..”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
London, United Kingdom
“Top quality - but not quite the experience I'd hoped for..”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Having been to Chewton Glen a few times before, I was familiar with the high standards of virtually everything. The only difference this time was that we had a 3 month old in tow so I had to view things through a slightly different lens. We checked in on Friday afternoon for a 3 night stay.

The room (a courtyard suite I think - although I booked a junior suite) was very nice indeed. The outdoor space was lovely and just right for some quiet time in the sun, for a quiet, unhurried breakfast and for entertaining visitors (it was my birthday and I had some family members visit us on the Saturday).

One downside to the room was that you could hear most of what was happening in the room above us. We had some kids above us running around quite heavily and yelling alot. That was no big deal until I found out that they had the nerve to complain to Reception around 5pm on the following evening along the lines of "Baby has been crying non stop for over an hour!". Clearly an exaggeration and I know the hotel has no option but to pass this on but that didn't help my mood.

On a similar note, after having cleared it with the Spa Supervisor, we took our baby to the indoor pool area on Saturday afternoon where she sat and slept for an hour in between me walking her up and down the side of the pool in my arms while her mother swam. After a couple of hours and as I was preparing her to leave, she started to grizzle a little only for a member of staff to come by straightaway to say that we weren't allowed to be there(?!). When I told her that we had cleared it with the Supevisor beforehand, she promptly went off to get the Supervisor who then came down to help me on my way. It must have looked as if we were being thrown out! Not really very welcoming. I'm not sure if someone complained but given that the baby was asleep for virtually the whole time, I can't comprehend what would have prompted a complaint or for the staff to want us out.

On the Saturday evening I'd organised a dinner for us and two family visitors in the Vetiver restaurant. The restaurant had been partioned off to cater for what appeared to be a very large birthday party. Our table was right next to the partition so it wasn't quite the quiet, relaxed experience we had anticipated. Unfortunately it seemed as if the demands of the party had affected the level of service elsewhere in the restaurant. Our service was very slow indeed and taking our orders took an age while there seemed to be some uncertainty about who was supposed to be taking care of us throughout the meal which resulted in a lot of time spent waiting in between courses. the food and wine were nevertheless very good indeed but it seemed like something was amiss.

There were unfortunately a few other minor irritations during our stay. For example, the hotel booked different babysitters for the Saturday and Sunday nights of our stay even though the first babysitter was available on both nights. When I asked Reception on Saturday to organise that we keep the same one, I was assured that this would be taken care of only for both babysitters to turn up the following evening.

Another midly irritating issue was when my guests arrived on Saturday evening they were greeted pleasantly and told that a call would be made to our room to inform us of their arrival. That call didn't happen with the result that they were sat in the bar for 30mins waiting for us while we sat in our room waiting for them. Minor issue I know, but seeing how quick they were to call through with the complaint about the baby, you might understand my irritation.

"And another thing"....on Sunday mid-morning post breakfast we had the bizarre incident of one of the porters coming into the room uninvited and taking a good look around (with my partner half dressed) before explaining that he had been sent to help us with our baggage (we were checking out the following day). He was duly apologetic but surely you ring the doorbell first?

Having got that off my chest, the spa remains first rate and I had a couple of delicious treatments. The tennis coach is really excellent (Les? - blond chap) and the grounds are really lovely and beautifully maintained. Our restaurant experiences were (aside from the comments above) otherwise very good indeed and the level of service from the bottle sterilising through to the baggage handling was smooth and efficient. There is alo the easy access through Chewton Bunny to the beach at Highcliffe which is one of the reasons why we wanted to return.

All in all, it remains a first class hotel, but it just shows how small things can make a big difference to your level of enjoyment.

Room Tip: Courtyard suites were very nice but priecy, You don't really want to be climbing stairs with a b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank David V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were lucky enough to be one of the guests at the Chateau & Relais 60th. Birthday Celebration Dinner.
With Champagne and canapes to welcome us served in the walled garden with a live group playing background music the dinner started well and just got better, 6 imaginative French themed courses with interesting and appropriate wines the work of Luke Matthews, James Martin and Oscar Malek, the atmosphere was warm and service superb. Having been guests of this hotel for over 44 years we were delighted that the original concept has been maintained and improved along with modernisation.
Cant wait for our next visit which will be far more simple but surely of the same high standard.

Room Tip: Just explain your preferences, large choice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Just checked out earlier, stayed 2 nights in the Beverly suite. Room excellent decor fresh and beautifully crisp clean. Bed and pillows gorgeous and very comfortable. The staff are very good and cater to your needs without being overpowering.
The spa is great for a massage or wet shave for the guys.Food wonderful cooked to perfection. The only negative was that we had to leave!! Staff in the bar are amazing. Thank you guys.

Stayed July 2014
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having been fortunate to stay in some fantastic hotels across the world, we were looking forward to staying at Chewton Glen after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed here for one night in a treehouse suite as part of a trip organised by a large motor manufacturer. We were welcomed to Chewton Glen with a BBQ and drinks before playing croquet on the lawn. After being escorted to our treehouse suite we were amazed at just how utterly fantastic the suite was. Complimentary minibar, a selection of biscuits and cakes and the most amazing coffee was set before us. The bedroom area was absolutely divine, a bathroom that could hold the England rugby team (my wife wishes) and a rather delectable hot tub on the balcony, it soon became apparent that this is indeed luxury at it it's best. After a couple of hours relaxing in the tub drinking champagne we finally dragged ourselves away from the room to eat and yet again we were blown away by the food the staff and the general ambience that Chewton Glen has to offer its guests. The best nights sleep I have ever had was to follow and I woke to the sound of our breakfast hamper being delivered through the hatch..... Enough breakfast food to feed the England rugby team! This truly set me up for the day and a day of driving cars whilst my wife had a spa treatment in the luxurious spa. Unfortunately that was the end of my trip and stay at Chewton Glen but it's somewhere I will be staying again in the future. A heartfelt thank you to all the staff that looked after the Alfa Romeo delegation and I can assure you that Chewton Glen will be somewhere that phase left a long lasting memory with me.

Room Tip: No top required, all the rooms are fantastic
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just back from another weekend break - we were warmly greeted & shown to a lovely ground floor room overlooking the croquet lawn. The staff couldn't have been more attentive throughout, and the service & food in the restaurant were top rate - try the Tagine of Lamb !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Missannajobelle
Magoebaskloof, South Africa
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel is very well appointed, decor is good and the grounds are lovely. Nice 20 minute walk to the beach. Hotel staff, were for the most part pleasant and welcoming. Interesting to note the older staff were much more efficient, focused on detail, plus they were quick with an engaging word or two. The younger (student) staff need more training and more polish: tended to forget items, mixed up orders, etc. Breakfasts, lunch and dinners were good, and dietary requirements noted (thank you) but honestly the flavour and quality was not the outstanding standard I had been expecting: this isn't fine dining as you may be lead to believe. Furthermore while the food was expensive, the wines were extortionate. I certainly don't mind paying £60 on a really beautiful bottle of wine, but not for one that I can buy elsewhere for £10 - that's not on. Furthermore the Somelier was a little hazy on some wines, not his fault as it is a huge wine list, but the wine list doesn't need to be as long. Our Garden Room was lovely, Ren toiletries a pleasant addition to the bathroom. However, room service was a bit hit and miss, some items weren't brought when ordered, ironing board didn't work so we had to pay for items to be ironed. The spa was a very nice space but very busy, I suppose it is holiday season, but on 2 occasions there weren't enough loungers. Also too many noisy children in the pool and spa area, this should be a relaxing environment. All in all it was a nice weekend away with my husband but I wouldn't return unless there was evidence that standards have improved. There are many better and equally 'grand' places in the South East, if that's what you're looking for.

Room Tip: Garden room is lovely - located on the ground floor with private patio. Rooms at the front of the ho...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vivrelife
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had our wedding at the Chewton Glen . It was a fabulous experience. Right from the start we knew we were in safe hands. Dahlia was a brilliant wedding planner and made us feel totally at ease . Her attention to detail was outstanding.
The ceremony was lovely , and ran smoothly.
The afternoon tea was excellent, and beautifully presented . They even managed to cater for a gluten free guest at short notice. The staff were attentive, friendly and always pleasant.
If only the weather could have been better !
All in all we had a lovely experience and would not have changed a thing . I would recommend it to anyone considering it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed March 2014
#1 of 2 in Burley
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!