“One of my favorite hotels in the world”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have only great things to say about this property - and it really is a property, much more than a hotel. The entire atmosphere is refined, yet comfortable. Rooms were beautifully appointed and spacious. Yet the grounds are the reason to come, especially if you are looking for upscale travel with children. Of course we were lucky to have good weather, and enjoyed the outdoor pool, croquet, childrens play area and walking to the beach. Food was excellent, and service could not have been better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Visited Chewton Glen this weekend - this place just gets better and better! Staff are wonderful and the attention to detail is second to none
we had a wonderful room and our stay was perfect
Food in the restaurant is fabulous - nothing is too much trouble
For such a fabulous hotel, the atmosphere is always friendly and relaxed
Why go anywhere else?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne M
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Have stayed here a few times in the past. Its a hard property to review as it has so many aspects, so overall i gave it average. To start of i will mention the negative. The spa! I have had many treatments here in the past. It has been lovely to come out and simply relax in their suitably named relaxtion room. However, this room has now been closed and since become 2 new treatments room....so they can make more £££££. So what you are left with, is when you finish your treatment, you sit in the narrow hallway which other people pass though when they are heading to their treatments. The new chairs look good, but don't tilt back and are terribly uncomfortable. There are only 3 chairs there, which caused a problem for us when a lady finished her treatment, i politely offered her my chair (I had only been there 5 minutes). There is also a problem with all the chairs facing a large mirror so everyone can see each other in their supplied dressing gowns. I did feel slightly awkward with a gentleman customer sitting right next to me who could look at me right opposite in the mirror. I also had a problem pre-treatment when i was aksed to sit in the waiting area, and the area was already overcrowded with a young family sitting and chatting (which they are certainly entitled to do, but there should be pre-designated pre-treatment areas in which to sit). So the spa....I feel....they are have really got terribly wrong. I would not recommend the spa becuase of this.
The rooms are magic. Quality as you expect. The tree houses in particular are amazing, if you are looking for that little bit something extra. Just as long as you don't mind putting your hand in your pocket. The swimming pool and hydro room is great, although we did stay there once when there was no hot water for our entire 3 night stay - that didnt go doen well with the husband.
Staff are fantastic. Nothing is ever a problem. The restaurant is over priced as you would expect but there are some nice places to eat not too far from the hotel itself.
Would i visit again? Only if they sort out the spa because at the moment it just doesnt work. Its a real shame they got too money hungry on that front.

Room Tip: The treehouses are outstanding.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jo m
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I visited the Chewton Glen for a spa day with my boyfriend last week, could not have been any happier with my treatment (full body massage) or the over all spa facilities. The spa really does rival those of top London hotels, the outdoor space is just fantastic. We were lucky to enjoy beautiful weather so spent time relaxing on the comfy loungers taking in the gorgeous gardens and drank delicious fresh smoothies!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is hospitality on a grand scale. There are a few flaws now and again, but altogether it is very fine. I question only the value. Some of the prices are unquestionably too high in my view - particularly the wines, and the Spa. I have no other negative comment except that as with literally any establishment, service is only as good as the people providing it, and occasionally it slips.

However, the rooms are fantastic and food equally so. The location and gardens are splendid. This certainly is a hotel of outstanding quality and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: The 'Tree Houses' are great for families. Very comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I really liked some aspects of Chewton Glen, but my overall takeaway (and I don't know if this is true but only the way it felt to me) was that is an English Country House Hotel managed by foreigners. The fine points just weren't there. I was shocked by the number of pure errors on food menus, for example--not only odd explanation but misspellings, word run-ons, etc. Staff was pleasant, but in some cases seemed a bit clueless. Had a great, friendly conversation with a couple of the bartenders; nice young men. Dinner in Vevitar was poor; if you can't sit in the outer room with windows, don't go. Stuffy, dull. The main house is charming though an architectural mish-mash as result of too many add-ons under too many directors. We had wanted to stay in the main house, but a snafu (not theirs) in booking placed us in the tree houses. I rather suspect this was a better option after all. The tree houses, though the antithesis of country house hotel, were very, very nicely done, attractive and comfortable. Great bedding and linens. I loved the design -- only not when I'm hoping to visit a country house hotel. It was rather a different experience. But in the end, I think it was probably a blessing, and we truly enjoyed the tree house. Unfortunately, the air conditioning did not work, and it was unpleasantly hot, and after multiple notifications and claims that it had been repaired, alas it was acknowledged that it could not be until after we were gone. An appreciated (and appropriate) accommodation on the rate was made. Enjoyed an easy walk to the sea. On balance, I liked Chewton Glen, and if traveling in the area, I'd probably try it again. But I wouldn't make a special trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Don't know what all the fuss is about. It is a nice hotel, but it certainly did not have the WOW factor for me. Room was very nice and clean. Breakfast was not that special and very over priced. Spa treatment was very nice, but spa itself not that wonderful. No rush to go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Burley
Captain's Club Hotel
Captain's Club Hotel
#5 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!