“Fantastic way to celebrate my birthday!”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Bournemouth, England
“Fantastic way to celebrate my birthday!”
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Had one night at the Chewton Glen in a junior suite overlooking the parkland and gardens. Small balcony with room for two chairs. Suite very nicely furnished, modern and elegant design (fortunately not too much of the English country house hotel style which I find very dated now). The suite was not quite ready so we sat on the terrace by the bar and had really good fresh crab sandwiches and a glass of champagne. Spent the afternoon in the Spa, particularly the hydrotherapy pools which are just brilliant as a way to relax and chill out. Even ventured outside to the jacuzzi and sat there with the April sun beaming down. We had opted for the gourmet dining package which therefore also included the tasting menu of five course with wines. Overall very good quality indeed. The sommelier was excellent and even substituted a wine that I didn't particularly like with something much more to my taste after a discussion on what my favourites were. The chocolate dessert with the deep and dark Spanish sweet wine was truly memorable - it's worth a trip to Chewton Glen in its own right, so contratulations to the Pastry Chef. Cocktails before and after dinner made for an indulgent but very enjoyable evening. Continental breakfast was part of our package, but I did have a look at some of the cooked offerings going by and they looked really good - but after the meal the night before we were more than happy with some muesli and toast. The service overall was very courteous and friendly, sprinkled with a few "Happy Birthdays" along the way which was nice. So a really lovely 24 hours at the Chewton Glen. Yes, it was very expensive but still seemed pretty good value for what we got. Will definitely consider return trips, maybe not staying in a Suite next time unless of course it was another celebration.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I stayed at Chewton Glen in March and was thoroughly impressed -- my room was really spacious and luxurious and the TV at the end of the bath was a nice touch. I didn't get a chance to use the spa, as I was there on a business trip, but the pool looked incredible (the Chewton Glen pool was featured in the Enjoy England TV ad campaign, and you can see why they chose it).

In the evening I dined at the restaurant & thought the food was brilliant, and the wine was even better.

I'm already planning my next trip back and would whole heartedly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My wife & I have just returned from an easter break at Chewton Glen. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay & would definately return, despite many irritating niggles that need sorting out. On the plus side the room was superb, the food excellent & the hotels amenities great. On the negative side it is extremely expensive, the staff are in some cases excellent & others are not what I would expect at a top hotel. I would list the main niggles as follows:1) We arrived early at 1pm & asked if our room was ready despite a 3pm check in, we were told it was ready. We were shown to the room, which wasnt ready & we were later advised that it wouldnt be ready until 3pm, the time of our spa treatment. 2) The duty manager was loud & arrogant 3) The 'browncoat' senior staff were also arrogant, whilst the less senior staff were superb 4) A bag of soiled laundry was left in our room 5) The hotel guest car park was full with wedding guests cars 6) The crockery was an excellent quality brand, but being modern & white it didnt really inspire nor did the cutlery which was classic, but not nice. 7) Breakfast was fairly good, but service was slow & mistakes were often made, also an additional £5 is charged for a cooked breakfast, this should be included. 8) My surname was spelt incorrectly, this was pointed out, but never rectified. 9) None of the staff knew us despite being at the hotel for the weekend, they seem to have no method of recognising who we were, indeed we have been to another country style hotel the Sharrow Bay, who always appear to know their guests names. 10) We were phoned on 5 occasions to ascertain whether we were dining at the hotel restaurant on the Saturday evening ! 11) A superb afternoon tea was included in our deal, yet appeared on our bill, when settling our bill we brought this to the hotels notice, which they knew all about & immediately rectified, but left us wondering whether they would have told us if we hadnt mentioned it. 12) Nothing was said to a guest who appeared barefoot at breakfast & the dress code seemed non-existant. There were also many postive points, especially the offer of bottled water & biscuits for our journey home, an easter egg, Molton Brown bathroom products & lovely small hotel gift shop. To sum we had a great time, but the hotel could do with better management & staff training.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I stayed at Chewton Glen for two nights last year with my family for my 21st birthday! I thought it was just perfect - the food was exceptional, the rooms beautiful, the spa was lovely - particularly the steam room! As it was my birthday the hotel had provided us with a bottle of champagne which set the celebrations off nicely. The little touches were the best thing - the box of chocolates in the room on arrival and the fresh fruit everyday. When we arrived we were a little peckish so ordered tea and cakes from room service which were all delicious and freshly made. The hotel is in a beautiful location and the staff go out of their way to be helpful. Although pricey it is definitely worth it, particularly for a special occasion - even the chairs were particularly comfy!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2009

My husband and I have recently spent a Weekend at Chewton Glen and we throughly enjoyed it. The staff were extremely friendly and efficient. The room - which had been recently refurbished was beautiful and it overlooked the wonderful views of the grounds. We had dinner there on both nights and the food was fantastic although I would have liked to have seen a bit more variety in the menu. Overall the hotel seems to have the right balance of friendliness, efficiency and relaxation.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I stayed at Chewton Glen with my fiancee in June of 2008...The hotel is located about 2.30 hours from central London in the New Forest, very close to the sea...The hotel is finished in an English country style...Our room was ok...Spacious but could definitely use some updating...The grounds are expansive and lovely...There is a small golf course and an outdoor pool...There are numerous paths in and around the grounds of the hotel, some that bring you to the seafront...The air around the seafront is great...The hotel has a spacious spa and fitness room...My massage was just ok but my wife enjoyed her facial (they have Linda Meredith products)...Breakfast and dinner were nice...Not great but definitely enjoyable...Service, however, was a bit slow and a lot of the servers seemed to be inexperienced...Everyone was very friendly, however...Chewton Glen provides a very good weekend trip from London...My expectations (very high given the hotel's ratings, reputation and costs) were not and I expected a slightly more polished package.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bobd72
Balcombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2009

We booked the Hotel Via American Express's Centurion Travel service which afforded many extra benefits such as Free Lunch,
room upgrade if available, welcoming Champagne and finally, late check out and an excellent room rate to boot.

On arrival we were greeted at the entrance door and the luggage was quickly unloaded from the car and the car was also Valet Parked in the adjacent large car Park.

Check in was smooth and the staff were charming. We had been upgraded to a Gold room on the first floor in the wing that overlooked the croquet Lawn. Whilst checking in the MD of the Hotel happened to be at Reception and he warmly welcomed us too.

We arrived early and in consequence the room was not ready. We were shown to a lounge area where we had drinks and snacks. In a short while we were informed that the room was ready and we were then escorted to the room which included an en route, mini tour and explanations of the facilities.

The rooms were of perfect proportions, well equiped, tastefully decorated,and warm. In actual fact they were a fraction too warm for my liking, but lo and behold the 'Cooling only' Air conditioner
could be operated to reduce the temperature (I then backed off the thermostatic valves on the radiators to prevent a conflict of simutaneous heating and cooling)

The bathroom area incorporated Wardrobes, a dressing Table and dressing area. The actual Bathroom was imaculate with a twin shower cubicle, large Bath tub, twin Basins. A separate WC and bidet are was incorpoated. The quality of the chrome fittings were first class and there was a Generous supply of Molton Brown toiletries.

The Saturday Evening evening meal was first rate and the wine selection was stunning. Faultless service made the evening one of the best meals we had had for some while.

The next morning,Early morning Tea was brought to the room on time preceded by a phone call to say that it was 'On it's way'.
We spent the Sunday touring around the locality and returned to the hotel late pm. The Pool and Spa were superb and well appointed.

Sunday evening was 'Burns Night' and we enjoyed a function with about 85-100 other people. The event was well organised, with good entertainment and superb food considering the number of guests involved.

We enjoyed excellent breakfasts and were content with the variety of food available from the Buffet and the optional 'Full English' was cooked to perfection.

It was the little things that I was most impressed with. Here are a few examples of things I noticed;

The valet parker man ties a tag on your car key and the tag has a plan of the Car park on it. He then marks a small cross where your car is located. If, for example, you require access to your car because you have left your phone in the car,you can tell from the plan where your car is located !

The cleaning lady that was dusting in a lounge early one morning had removed the lamp shades from the table lamps so that she could dust them properly. She even dusted the inside of the shades !!

The MD passed through a lounge and picked up empty glasses and cups en route to wherever he was going.

The 'Over Door' heaters at the front entrance had been colour coded to match the wall decor. Even the cable had been painted to match the wallpaper.

As hard as I tried I found it difficult to fault this Hotel in any way. I even started thinking of how they could improve things but alas I could think of nothing !

This Hotel must rate as one of the best we have ever stayed at.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank TonyMus
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!