I chose this hotel as it was in close proximity to our family holiday and I wanted to whisk my girlfriend away somewhere special to propose. I also chose it because of the strong reviews it had received online and when I asked friends and colleagues and in many respects it didn't disappoint.
I booked a Gold Room on a midweek New Forest rate. The room was large, grand, the bathroom beautiful, a great dressing area with huge mirror and all mod cons included too such as flatscreen TV, ipod speakers (bose) and Bang & Olufson sounds system.
However, one minor gripe was that I had seen some of the suites online and they appeared to be in the middle of bringing them into the 21st Century, I did feel our room was a touch dated, but a minor point really.
Our balcony overlooked the croquet lawn and further afield, the golf course.
My 'deal' included a continental breakfast, but I didn't read the small print and it did not include a full English for which there was a £10 supplement. This wasn't bad for a lovely breakfast and the 3 course dinner the night before was absolutely superb, one of the best I have had in a long time. The creme brulee surpassed one I had at Rules in London, which I never thought was going to be beaten.
The staff and the service make this hotel. Obviously it has grand surroundings, beautiful food, etc, but that is somewhat expected when paying £600 for one night with dinner and breakfast. However, the staff really do add something extra. They are polite, friendly, skilled, helpful and were quick to put my girlfriend and I at ease as we were a littler overwhelmed on arrival when they whisk your car away to be parked and take your baggage from the boot of your car to your room.
The Duty Maange showed us to our room, a nice touch and on arrival into the room there were some freshly made flapjacks and some fruit to nibble on.
So, all in all, it was a great stay, but £600 feels like a lot for me, and when you add on things like £10 for tea and mini cakes for breakfast in your room and £13 for a glass of champagne, it does leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth.
PS - she said yes, so I guess after all that, it was worthwhile!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An English Original. Chewton Glen is a luxury hotel and spa set in 130 acres of Hampshire countryside on the edge of the New Forest National Park and just a few minutes walk from the sea.12 new luxury treehouse suites now open. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chewton Glen Hotel New Milton
- Chewton Glen Hotel And Spa
- Hotel Chewton Glen
- Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa New Milton, Hampshire