“Great stay - but definitely overpriced” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Horley, United Kingdom
“Great stay - but definitely overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I chose this hotel as it was in close proximity to our family holiday and I wanted to whisk my girlfriend away somewhere special to propose. I also chose it because of the strong reviews it had received online and when I asked friends and colleagues and in many respects it didn't disappoint.

I booked a Gold Room on a midweek New Forest rate. The room was large, grand, the bathroom beautiful, a great dressing area with huge mirror and all mod cons included too such as flatscreen TV, ipod speakers (bose) and Bang & Olufson sounds system.

However, one minor gripe was that I had seen some of the suites online and they appeared to be in the middle of bringing them into the 21st Century, I did feel our room was a touch dated, but a minor point really.

Our balcony overlooked the croquet lawn and further afield, the golf course.

My 'deal' included a continental breakfast, but I didn't read the small print and it did not include a full English for which there was a £10 supplement. This wasn't bad for a lovely breakfast and the 3 course dinner the night before was absolutely superb, one of the best I have had in a long time. The creme brulee surpassed one I had at Rules in London, which I never thought was going to be beaten.

The staff and the service make this hotel. Obviously it has grand surroundings, beautiful food, etc, but that is somewhat expected when paying £600 for one night with dinner and breakfast. However, the staff really do add something extra. They are polite, friendly, skilled, helpful and were quick to put my girlfriend and I at ease as we were a littler overwhelmed on arrival when they whisk your car away to be parked and take your baggage from the boot of your car to your room.

The Duty Maange showed us to our room, a nice touch and on arrival into the room there were some freshly made flapjacks and some fruit to nibble on.

So, all in all, it was a great stay, but £600 feels like a lot for me, and when you add on things like £10 for tea and mini cakes for breakfast in your room and £13 for a glass of champagne, it does leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth.

PS - she said yes, so I guess after all that, it was worthwhile!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Towsey1979
ChewtonGlen, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2010
Firstly we would congratulate these guests on their engagement at Chewton Glen.

We are very open about the fact that we have a mix of both modern classic and more traditional country house style rooms and a variety are represented on our website. Our guest's tastes are as varied as our rooms (all of which are different) and hence we value the opportunity to allocate an appropriate room when booking.

I am saddened that these guests did not feel that Chewton Glen necessarily offered good value although this is undoubtedly one of our goals. It is worth noting that all of our rates include VAT and service charge and unlike many other establishments, our staff simply will not accept any further gratuities. Many of the facilities and leisure services such as spa and golf are also included in our rates.

Our team work hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and I am delighted that this reviewer felt that the staff and service made the hotel.

Managing Director

Needless to say we were interested in the reviewers feedback regarding

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

My wife and I chose to stay here for our anniversary (well i did and my wife thought it was great once she knew and we arrived). We chose to leave our son with nanny - which she enjoyed, in hindsight and from the experience of others that we saw/met bringing him would have been no issue at all - such is the great set up at chewton glen.

The room we had was a junior suite in modern style - I have stayed at some good hotels whilst travelling on business - but this has to be one of the best rooms I have been in, and hotels all round.

The key thing that makes this hotel great is the staff - they are excellent and make the stay comfortable, not imposing and extremely enjoyable.

we had a the taster menu for dinner one night, which has to be recommended, the wine that went with it and the introduction to each glass was a nice touch - they shoudl do the same with the food!! Felt thoroughly full both on food and wine afterwards!!

Nothing was too much trouble to organise, for example helping me organise flowers for my wife at the last minute.

The spa gave us some great treatments in a nice relaxed, yet sophisticated surrounding. I just cant fault this place - yes it is expensive, but you can see where that money gets spent and I didnt begrudge any part of the bill - thoroughly recommended for a special occasion!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

I have just celebrated my 15 wedding anniversary at Chewton Glen. We knew it was an expensive hotel which we accepted in order to have that wondeful service and level of exclusivity.

The hotel and the surroundings are beautiful. The staff are delightful and extremely helpful. The food is wonderful. However, the cost of breakfast is not included in the room price and is an extortionate amount of extra money on top. I think considering the prices that are being charged for the room, breakfast could be included.

The only other thing that slightly spoilt the weekend was the large parties using the restaurant or bar to celebrate an event. Unfortunately these groups rather spoilt the serenity and easyness of us as hotel guests and I don't think the hotel is large enough to cater for their guests as well as the guests of the restaurant and still maintain that feeling of exclusivness that the price suggests.

But we did have a wonderful weekend and I would highly recommend staying here. As I think someone else mentioned, it is not worth staying here if you are concerned in the slightest about the cost.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Firstly we are delighted that these guests chose to celegrate their wedding anniversary at Chewton Glen and ultimately they had a wonderful weekend.

We offer a very extensive and luxurious continental breakfast buffet for which we charge £20. This also includes a 10% service charge. Full English breakfast is an additionak £5. We offer a variety of room only and breakfast inclusive packages and hence there is always the option for it to be part of the agreed rate.

Chewton Glen is renowed for our ability to cater for couples, family groups and private parties and under normal circumstances the generous public rooms, flexible private dining spaces and high staff to guest ratio result in everyone enjoying the hotel harmoneously. Needless to say I am sorry that this was not the case for these guests and I can only apologise and thank them for their invaluable feedback.

Channel Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

My sister and I booked the Chewton Glen for our Mum's 70th Birthday as we thought it would be a lovely treat for her and we were not disappointed at all. The Hotel is absolutely gorgeous, the lounges, restaurant and outdoor facilities are really well looked after. There were 9 of us for Afternoon Tea, including my 3 children and we were really well looked after by Mary and thank her very much from all of us. One of my daughters has a wheat allergy and I mentioned this when making the booking and was advised that this was not a problem at all and my daughter was thrilled when her own tiered tray of sandwiches and cakes arrived in front of her! We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of visiting there. Thanks to all the staff and keep up the good work!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

We stayed here for four nights with our young children (3 years and 4 months).

We had a suite (room 94) which was an excellent space for all of us. It had a large main bedroom and a sitting area which had a sofa bed and could be separated from the main bedroom with a wooden partition door at night. There was also a small courtyard garden which was very private. Before we booked some of the suites/rooms they offered were rather too chintzy for our taste, but this was fine. The bathroom was large with a separate double shower area. According to my wife the bath products were excellent.

I was a little worried that this place would be too formal for kids, but it was not a problem. Being half term there were a lot of families there. Although the indoor pool is only open for children at set times, that was fine for us and anyway, we were lucky with the weather and were able to use the outdoor pool.

The Spa facilities were great - nice pool, gym etc. My wife had a facial and she said it was excellent.

The house and grounds are beautiful and with the sunshine that we had, the grounds were a real highlight of our stay. (You can hear traffic on the nearby busy A35 from the main lawn which is a bit of a shame.)

Although the individual staff were very nice, the service was surprisingly patchy. Examples include: booking was a real pain, taking a number of tries to persuade them that we did not need a duplex; when we got to our room, it was not made up from the previous person.....they then cleaned up for 30 minutes around us; the dinner service was unacceptably slow and it really detracted from the experience - so much so we did not bother with the main restaurant again.

Food in the main restaurant was no more than OK, considering £65 per head. I found the inflexibility of the menu frustrating - it had to be a set menu of 3 or 5 courses. As ever with these places, food is laughably over priced; even in the lounge it was £20 for a very basic fish pie or burger.

The weather really made our stay and we enjoyed the grounds and found the place to be very relaxing. Overall we had a very nice time and would consider returning at some stage. Just some gripes about service and choice of food.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank skingo
We are delighted that this family overall had a very nice time and hope to return. Having said that, it was disappoiting to read that a couple of service issues in the restaurant and the choice of food had a negative impact.

Needless to say I have discussed the pace of restaurant service with our Restaurant Manager and he has also asked me to convey how sorry he is for any unacceptable delays. He is mindful that families particularly appreciate faster paced service and has used this review as an opportunity to remind the restaurant brigade of this. We are also very concious that families staying with us for extended visits do desire more and more flexibility in terms of our food and beverage offering and we will continue to listen and adapt accordingly.

Our Reservations Team would normally recommend a Duplex Suite for a family of four and we are delighted that a normal Garden Suite provided sufficient space. The Reservations Team will benefit from your experience and feedback.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

We had high expectations of Chewton Glen having read the reviews here and bearing in mind the very high room rate. In general we were not disappointed.

Good things: terrific location in beautiful countryside close to the beach (it's not 10 minutes away, don't believe the website but a nice walk); excellent service and charming staff. A nice touch is that reception will give you a wee brochure listing good local pubs/restaurants with directions to and from. They had also helpfully given us best directions to the hotel to avoid traffic congestion. Our (silver) room was lovely, very spacious with a little private terrace, (from which we piggy-backed a bride's spectacular firework display) and immaculately clean. The toiletries are excellent too. We couldn't open the terrace door but help was instantly and cheerfully despatched. Lovely bathroom with amazing double shower. The public rooms are spacious and well appointed and the barman mixes a mean Martini. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept.

There is a no tipping policy which is nice (included in the room price, I hope the staff get them, they deserve it).

The spa is absolutely top, wonderful proper indoor pool, amazing hydrotherapy centre with numerous different connected pools (a particularly good one in the middle if you have cricked your neck!) and the treatments are well worth the money. Hotel residents can access the spa through the hotel (so no need to visit the changing rooms if you are going for a swim) and there are plenty of robes and towels. Everything is extremely clean. My partner tells me the gymnasium was very well equipped, and a personal trainer could have been made available.

Minor niggles:

The dining is not as fine as they think, we found the food disappointing for the price. After enquiry we found out we could eat one or two courses from the restaurant menu if we ate in the lounge, which we did on one evening and again the staff were very helpful.

The hotel obligingly posts an invoice through your door the night before departure, which is a nice touch, but it is not fully itemised, and caused confusion (we had signed for room service but the total was for a higher sum - in fact to include the tray charge for tea in our room on a different occasion) and delay at checkout.

We were told our luggage could be stored after checkout if we wished to continue using the facilities, but in fact it was put in our car which was then returned to the car park.

Lovely touch on departure: we were given bottled water and scrumptious home made biscuits to speed us on our way (those biscuits - they should sell them in the shop, they'd make a fortune).

We went to de-stress and came back very relaxed, missing the spa already. I would describe the hotel as a huge treat but it would be pointless to go there and worry about the expense. We would definitely return.

Top tip: there's a great restaurant up the road at Barton-on-Sea whose name escapes me - glamorous setting and lovely food, better than the hotel, and a lot cheaper. The motor museum at Beaulieu a must.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank percyLondon
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2010

My husband and i love to splash out on hotels and sometimes finding somewhere to cater for us and our two children (3 and 6) which is not your typical family hotel is hard. However i think we have found a true gem. Chewton Glen have recently changed their outlook on children and now cater for them very well. Although this hotel is quite traditional, with a lot of very smart guests our children were made to feel very welcome. The staff here are generally fantastic. (The only exception being at breakfast where the service was very slow and the cold toast came about 15 minutes after we had finished the rest of our breakfast. ) The facilities are also first class. Make sure you make full use of the spa you will love it. The outdoor pool is properly heated and we sat by it and swam in it even in April (it was a freakishly hot day) Our boys loved the mini golf clubs and also the tree house. We used a local babysitting company which meant we enjoyed a lovely evening in the bar and restaurant. The barman was brilliant suggesting cocktails we would never normally have tried. We stayed in a two storey room with its own garden which was huge and loads of room for the four of us. All in all we had a really lovely time. My husband and i came away very relaxed and our boys came away having had a great time. I would just point out that although this hotel is child friendly it is not overrun with children and should not put couples off going!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!