“Not what it used to be”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Singapore, Singapore
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Stayed here again after nearly 10 years. I must say the estate was the exact same only this time "the public" was quite "different" compared to last time. The staff was not trained (enough) and did not have heart for the business as they had 10 years ago. For example; during breakfast we got the wrong tea/coffee etc. Can happen. Some cooked breakfast items never reached our table. Can happen too... But do not start blaming your colleagues in front of your guests. Very unprofessional. This happened to us twice. The person who collected our bags was grumpy and just entered our room without knocking. He didn't care. I did. The food in the restaurant was not OK. My main course fish was tasteless and arrived cold. The service was amateurish and definitely not up to par for a 5 star hotel. The (golden) room was everything what you wanted to see on this level; no negatives here. The garden was just as stunning as 10 years ago. Complements for the gardeners. The pools are very nice as is the Spa.

It looks like as if the "success formula" has been squeezed to it's limits; too many guests on the estate and staff is less qualified.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
, Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2010
It was disappointing to read that this reviewer felt that certain elements of the Chewton Glen experience were not as good as they were ten years ago and needless to say; we were all saddened by their observations. Our commitment to exceeding the expectations of each and every guest has never been stronger and it is most regretful that this was not consistently evident throughout all of the departments. Under normal circumstances our team at Chewton Glen are praised for their enthusiastic approach and their ability to find a comfortable balance between friendliness and professionalism. We intentionally employ staff based on their personality rather than previous experience and this has led to genuinely hospitable employees unlike those who have been all too often trained to smile insincerely. Needless to say all of the points raised have been passed on to the appropriate departmental managers and they have asked me to convey how sorry they are for this unacceptable lapse in service. August is always a very busy period us however with 240 staff we should have been able to offer exemplary service. As always I would value the opportunity to hear directly from these guests with a view to discussing their stay in more detail.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Chewton Glen remains, in our view, one of the few truly five star hotels in the UK with service and atmosphere to match and is very relaxing compared with lesser hotels that seem to need to have some kind of "pretence" at their status.

In recent years Chewton Glen has become very child friendly which has coincided nicely with our new arrival and our baby daughter was well looked after including a present, snacks and high tea as well as the staff (and other residents) being very happy to see her in all public areas.

Food was excellent as usual and we were able to take the full dinner menu in our suite so we could easily babysit.

We're looking forward for our next excuse to visit!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
We were thrilled that this family enjoyed their most recent visit to Chewton Glen and that they particularly appreciated our transition into being a family friendly property. I have enjoyed sharing their comments with the whole team who will undoubtedly be motivated by this review. We look forward to welcoming these guests back to Chewton Glen in the not too distant future.
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2010

This was booked as a surprise for my wife. The service from start to finish was fantastic both formal and familiar at the right times. We were well looked after from complimentary fruit and water during the stay to a surprise birthday gift. Dinner was excellent, very much recommended. There is a good sized swimming pool and extra spa pool area with an outdoor hot tub. We loved the sensory room after the spa treatments. The hotel is a short walk from the beach (although across a very busy road) but the hotel is set in the middle of large grounds so the location of the hotel is peaceful.
The decor is beautiful and immaculate and we can't recommend the hotel enough.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
We were delighted to read this review and pleased to note that these guests enjoyed every element of their stay especially the Spa. The beach walk down Chewton Bunny to the Solent coastline is a very popular activity for our guests however the one road you have to cross is busy and often tricky to negotiate. Over the years we have looked at building either a bridge or a tunnel however neither option is viable due to the planning restrictions of working with a listed bridge and those imposed by the Highways Agency. In the New Year we are planning for even more bedrooms to be refurbished and hope that these guests will find them equally appealing.
London
Reviewed 4 August 2010

My husband and I booked a 2 night break for our wedding anniversary. Everything from the moment we booked to the moment we drove out was absolutely out of this world!
The reservation staff were fantastic and answered all our questions before we arrived, providing us with so much information and booking dinner and spa treatments so we could really make the most of our stay.
Our room was incredible, TV in the bathroom, the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in!, the room is full of luxuries and there is nothing that hasnt been thought of.
We spent the day in the fantastic spa and both had treatments which were incredible and were exactly how they are described in the brochure. Even though the hotel was busy the spa didnt seem busy and we had the swimming pool to ourselves on ocassions.
The food as described in other reviews is amazing some of the best food we have ever eaten.
The waiting staff were attentive and extremely professional without being unapproachable, our wine glassses were always full and we had a nice chat with the waiter who was very informative of all the dishes.
When you first walk into the hotel you get the first impression that it is a very high class hotel which could sometimes be over welming, however all the staff are so warm and friendly that you instantly feel at home.
As we were there for our anniversary all the staff knew the reason for our visit, we had a balloon on our door, an anniversary card and a cake at the end of our meal! we were made to feel so special they really do think of everything!
I only wish we could have stayed longer!
I gaurantee you will never be disapointed at Chewton Glen.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
It is always a great compliment when guests never want to leave and we were pleased to have exceeded all of their expectations. Our goal is to deliver professional yet friendly service and it was also positive that this was acknowledged. As always the team will be motivated by reading this review which highlights the difference they make.
London
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I stayed for a few nights in August in one of the standard rooms. Overall we had a wonderful, relaxing time and ate and drank (and spent!) far too much and indulged in some fantastic treatments. I would go again...but it wasn't without it's faults as outlined below.

Positives:

Amazing grounds
Fantastic spa
Great choice at breakfast, and delicious supper
Front desk staff absolutely faultless - very courteous and helpful and attentive without appearing false.

Negatives:

Appalling service with non-front desk staff on many counts - including having to wait for ages every time we wanted a drink in the bar, being refused the cheese trolley one evening at dinner as it was too popular, despite 3 of a group of 10 of us having ordered cheese, forgetting my lunch one day (although I did get it an hour later and wasn't charged for it. I did have to eat on my own by this point) and us, and other guests, waiting at the pool for about 45 minutes in the middle of the day, constantly asking staff for towels and cushions before they arrived. Oh - and we also saw some of the younger members moaning about the clients and rolling their eyes when being asked for drinks etc...which isn't very pleasant!
Lunch menu very limited and very expensive (£20 for a caesar salad)
Small room (although some of the others were in a suite which were gorgeous)
By a busy main road - so some spots quite noisy when walking in the grounds
Supper was delicious BUT a very limited menu, so by meal 3 I was ordering the same meal again. Would be even more limiting for vegetarians.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Keen_Bean_Traveller
We always value feedback from our guests and very much appreciate when reviewers highlight positive elements of their stay and also areas where there is room for improvement. I was saddened that a few service issues detracted from this reviewer’s overall enjoyment and first and foremost would like to apologise most sincerely. All of the staff relevant departments have been appraised and needless to say the appropriate departmental managers have asked me to convey how sorry they are for the shortcomings experienced. We are delighted that despite a couple of problems, these guests would recommend Chewton Glen and we look forward to welcoming them back as well.
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I chose this hotel as it was in close proximity to our family holiday and I wanted to whisk my girlfriend away somewhere special to propose. I also chose it because of the strong reviews it had received online and when I asked friends and colleagues and in many respects it didn't disappoint.

I booked a Gold Room on a midweek New Forest rate. The room was large, grand, the bathroom beautiful, a great dressing area with huge mirror and all mod cons included too such as flatscreen TV, ipod speakers (bose) and Bang & Olufson sounds system.

However, one minor gripe was that I had seen some of the suites online and they appeared to be in the middle of bringing them into the 21st Century, I did feel our room was a touch dated, but a minor point really.

Our balcony overlooked the croquet lawn and further afield, the golf course.

My 'deal' included a continental breakfast, but I didn't read the small print and it did not include a full English for which there was a £10 supplement. This wasn't bad for a lovely breakfast and the 3 course dinner the night before was absolutely superb, one of the best I have had in a long time. The creme brulee surpassed one I had at Rules in London, which I never thought was going to be beaten.

The staff and the service make this hotel. Obviously it has grand surroundings, beautiful food, etc, but that is somewhat expected when paying £600 for one night with dinner and breakfast. However, the staff really do add something extra. They are polite, friendly, skilled, helpful and were quick to put my girlfriend and I at ease as we were a littler overwhelmed on arrival when they whisk your car away to be parked and take your baggage from the boot of your car to your room.

The Duty Maange showed us to our room, a nice touch and on arrival into the room there were some freshly made flapjacks and some fruit to nibble on.

So, all in all, it was a great stay, but £600 feels like a lot for me, and when you add on things like £10 for tea and mini cakes for breakfast in your room and £13 for a glass of champagne, it does leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth.

PS - she said yes, so I guess after all that, it was worthwhile!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Towsey1979
ChewtonGlen, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2010
Firstly we would congratulate these guests on their engagement at Chewton Glen.

We are very open about the fact that we have a mix of both modern classic and more traditional country house style rooms and a variety are represented on our website. Our guest's tastes are as varied as our rooms (all of which are different) and hence we value the opportunity to allocate an appropriate room when booking.

I am saddened that these guests did not feel that Chewton Glen necessarily offered good value although this is undoubtedly one of our goals. It is worth noting that all of our rates include VAT and service charge and unlike many other establishments, our staff simply will not accept any further gratuities. Many of the facilities and leisure services such as spa and golf are also included in our rates.

Our team work hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and I am delighted that this reviewer felt that the staff and service made the hotel.

Andrew Stembridge
Managing Director

Needless to say we were interested in the reviewers feedback regarding
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2010

My wife and I chose to stay here for our anniversary (well i did and my wife thought it was great once she knew and we arrived). We chose to leave our son with nanny - which she enjoyed, in hindsight and from the experience of others that we saw/met bringing him would have been no issue at all - such is the great set up at chewton glen.

The room we had was a junior suite in modern style - I have stayed at some good hotels whilst travelling on business - but this has to be one of the best rooms I have been in, and hotels all round.

The key thing that makes this hotel great is the staff - they are excellent and make the stay comfortable, not imposing and extremely enjoyable.

we had a the taster menu for dinner one night, which has to be recommended, the wine that went with it and the introduction to each glass was a nice touch - they shoudl do the same with the food!! Felt thoroughly full both on food and wine afterwards!!

Nothing was too much trouble to organise, for example helping me organise flowers for my wife at the last minute.

The spa gave us some great treatments in a nice relaxed, yet sophisticated surrounding. I just cant fault this place - yes it is expensive, but you can see where that money gets spent and I didnt begrudge any part of the bill - thoroughly recommended for a special occasion!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Captain's Club Hotel
Captain's Club Hotel
#4 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!