“Beautiful but very frustrating!”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Stayed 2 nights by myself at Chewton Glen between Xmas and New Year. Purpose of visit was pure rest - I was looking for no hassle and plenty of sleep.

Good points first. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and is full of character. Staff were very welcoming, reservations in particular did a fantastic job of answering my questions before I booked and offering to bring in additional therapists to accommodate my spa treatment requests as the spa was fully booked. I felt they really wanted my business. Room (bronze) was lovely, spacious, with balcony and nice views.

The bad was that nothing seemed to go easily. No hot water when I wanted to take a bath on the 1st eve - they fixed it but by the time it was fixed I'd missed my dinner table reservation and didn't feel like going out. Sky TV stopped working twice - again fixed eventually. Room service for afternoon tea took over an hour and the order was wrong when it finally arrived. Breakfast order was also wrong (by which time I'd given up asking them to fix it). Bill was wrong (in their favour) but impossible to decipher as they don't give a full breakdown unless you ask for it.

I did rest but that was in spite of all the little hassles. And in fairness, every time something went wrong, they did try to fix it. But I was only there for 2 days and really way too much went wrong. At this level, I expect things to be seamless and smooth so found the experience a bit disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2010
Management response:Responded 31 December 2010

It is most regretful that this stay was marred by frustrating problems and first and foremost we would like to apologise again. Our boilers and Sky TV systems are both serviced on a regular basis and it is very unfortunate that both caused us problems over the festive season. Our own maintenance team were on hand to deal with such problems however as you can imagine it is a challenging time of year to source parts and specialist support. Regarding the confusion with orders for room service, I have discussed this with our Restaurant Manager, who has asked me to convey how sorry he is for this lapse in service. Despite every effort to make everything perfect, things can go wrong from time to time and I am embarrassed that we failed to exceed this guest’s expectations on this occasion. We look forward to welcoming this guest back in the New Year and plan to make contact directly.

There are newer reviews for Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 7 December 2010

Stayed here for a relaxing pre-birth/spa weekend with my wife. Booked a junior suite, which was expensive but just about delivered for the price. Not huge/ostentatious but very comfortable and warm, with outside patio (good for summer, not really a draw during the coldest winter in memory).

Staff are very welcoming and, whilst some risk "formality", cannot do enough for you. Swimming and hydrotherapy pools are fantastic, gym is a basic fitness room but does the job unless you are in pre-Olympic training. Food and drink is, as one sadly comes to expect in these places, very expensive....although I have never had a £15 sandwich that lives up to its billing, it managed to just avoid annoying me given the surroundings and the fact that this place was not designed to be a motorway stopover.

Close to the sea for a bracing walk and my wife said the spa treatments were good - they have "mother to be"; treatments. Admittedly, I don't know kuch about this apsect of our stay as I was in my room with a beer or two watching England hammer Australia at Twickenham, so all in all a great weekend.

If you want an expensive, relaxing and luxurious weekend, this place does what it says on the tin.

Management response:Responded 30 December 2010

It was good to read that this reviewer enjoyed a pre-birth spa weekend with his wife and found Chewton Glen to be both comfortable and warm.

We encourage the staff to be themselves at all times and the intention is for them to be hospitable rather than subservient. We endeavour to avoid being too formal at all costs however it is important that we remain professional at all times. All of our food and drink prices include a 10% service charge which sometimes makes us look more expensive than we actually are and as I am sure this reviewer experienced, none of the staff would accept any further gratuities.

We look forward to welcoming these guests back as a family hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 November 2010

Chewton Glen is a lovely country house hotel, the grounds are beautiful and on the whole we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was easy to find and the welcome we received was fantastic - the car was whisked away, luggage taken to our room and the manager came out to greet us! Brilliant.

Lunch when we arrived was a disappointment. We both ordered club sandwiches which were so salty they were inedible. Both were sent back and replaced but a bad start!

Room was lovely and we were unexpectedly upgraded to a suite.

Spa, brilliant. I had two mother to be treatments which were fantastic. They were also very accommodating when we needed to change the time of our treatments. Unfortunately even though we booked a 2 day spa break we had to have both treatments on the same day which wasn't ideal, so I would check with the hotel before you book that the spa has availability for when you're there....

Dinner both nights was lovely. Perhaps too many offers of 'would you like more bread' but this is my only complaint. Cheese board fantastic!

Our room was turned down nicely but a plate of dried fruit/flapjack was left on the coffee table half eaten for the whole 2 days.....perhaps it should have been refreshed or removed?

Overall a brilliant experience. We had a lovely 'afternoon tea' for lunch on the 2nd day.

I think the only way this hotel needs to improve is more communication between reservations and the spa and then with the restaurant there should have been more communication between the wine waiters and food service, as we often found we were eating our starter without any wine.....!

The hotel is cozy and very welcoming. We would go again, but there is room for improvement.

Final point - it's VERY hot in the hotel!!

Management response:Responded 30 December 2010

We were delighted to read that overall these guests had a brilliant experience and very much appreciate the feedback regarding a couple of points that we could have improved on. It was disappointing that the club sandwiches on arrival had to be replaced and of course I have passed this issue on to our executive chef. Similarly I have communicated with our spa manager regarding the allocation of spa treatments and also spoken to our head housekeeper about refreshing the fruit plate. I was also saddened that the communication could have been improved and although this is the exception rather than the norm, we will undoubtedly focus on what we can do to improve.

Lastly getting the temperature right is always a challenge in such an old building however again we have taken this point on board. We look forward to welcoming these guests back in the New Year.

Reviewed 24 November 2010

what can i say, from top to bottom this hotel is amazing the food has the wow factor the staff have every element that's needed to run this marvelous hotel. The interior desiner has got it spot on i really could go on but you should really try for yourselves.
BIG WELL DONE to all the staff.

Management response:Responded 30 December 2010

I am thrilled that this reviewer felt that the staff gave Chewton Glen the “Wow Factor”. Eeveryone works very hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and I know that they will all be delighted with such positive feedback.

Reviewed 24 November 2010

We returned to Chewton Glen for a weekend escape in October. We have been before and always know we are going to be able to completely switch off and be pampered. As always, everything was perfect. All the staff were extremely welcoming and hospitable. Everything we needed was immediately dealt with - forgotten toothbrush, bicycles to borrow..We had some wonderful meals at the hotel and at some local restaurants, enjoyed an excellent facial and spent hours relaxing in the jet pools at the spa. We highly recommend Chewton Glen - there is something about the way you are looked after which make the atmosphere very special.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 13 December 2010

Many thanks to this reviewer for such positive feedback! We thoroughly
enjoyed spoiling them and are thrilled that it did the trick.

Reviewed 19 November 2010

My wife and I married at CG in 2008 and we are regulars staying at the hotel and using the spa and restaurant.
Having stayed at many beautiful hotels all over the world, CG has something very special.
From the greeting from the porters to the quality of the accommodation, the place truly sets the standard for other hotels to reach for.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 13 December 2010

It was very pleasing to read that these guests have continued to enjoy regular visits to Chewton Glen since they were married here in 2008. A large proportion of our guests come back again and again and we always endeavour to welcome them back like old friends and exceed their expectations at every turn. Needless to say we look forward to welcoming these particular guests back again very soon.

Reviewed 14 November 2010

Being VERY local to the Chewton Glen I knew in advance of this hotels reputation for excellence. I was not to be disappointed. For me the Chewton Glen is just a 5 minute drive from home, but once you enter the grounds it might as well be a million miles.
The hotel and grounds are magnificent well kept and tastefully decorated; even the public toilets make you stop in your tracks!

If you like great food and incredible wine this really is the place to visit. Every member of the catering team knows the menu intimately and the sommeliers really do know their stuff without being stuffy!

As we were combining this break with our anniversary celebration we really did try to pack a lot in to the 3 nights we stayed at the hotel. The spa was great my wife enjoyed all of her treatments and my manicure and traditional wet shave were very enjoyable. My one criticism of the spa in general is that there isn’t much seating around the pool...victims of their own success here I think!

On our actual anniversary a balloon and card was delivered to our room and we had a guided tour of the kitchen. The chef, Ben that did this was knowledgeable and highly entertaining. We felt most welcome in his domain and everyone greeted us with a smile! If you get the chance to see the heart of this hotel, take it!

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at this hotel; they actually seem to take offence if you try to make life easy for them! They really want to make your stay special, and they are brilliant at it.

The Chewton Glen really does live up to its reputation, and is certainly a hotel I can whole heartedly recommend.

Management response:Responded 13 December 2010

We were delighted to read that these guests enjoyed a memorable anniversary break with us and really made the most of their time, it is very motivational for the team to receive such positive praise especially the kitchen brigade who does not always have the opportunity to meet with our guests.

Needless to say we hope that Chewton Glen will be the chosen venue for their next wedding anniversary or perhaps even a birthday celebration in between!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Captain's Club Hotel
Captain's Club Hotel
#4 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!