WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reading
“Perfect for a luxury escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

We have stayed at Chewton Glen on a number of occasions and always found the hotel a wonderful place to escape for a luxury weekend. What truly separates this from similar hotels, is the fantastic service.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
East Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

Lovely rooms and very attentive staff - best hotel I've stayed in this year

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
We were delighted that this business traveller sited Chewton Glen as the Best Hotel they had stayed in during 2010 and as you can imagine we are very pleased with this compliment. We sincerely hope that this guest has another good reason to visit the New Forest in 2011.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

Stayed 2 nights by myself at Chewton Glen between Xmas and New Year. Purpose of visit was pure rest - I was looking for no hassle and plenty of sleep.

Good points first. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and is full of character. Staff were very welcoming, reservations in particular did a fantastic job of answering my questions before I booked and offering to bring in additional therapists to accommodate my spa treatment requests as the spa was fully booked. I felt they really wanted my business. Room (bronze) was lovely, spacious, with balcony and nice views.

The bad was that nothing seemed to go easily. No hot water when I wanted to take a bath on the 1st eve - they fixed it but by the time it was fixed I'd missed my dinner table reservation and didn't feel like going out. Sky TV stopped working twice - again fixed eventually. Room service for afternoon tea took over an hour and the order was wrong when it finally arrived. Breakfast order was also wrong (by which time I'd given up asking them to fix it). Bill was wrong (in their favour) but impossible to decipher as they don't give a full breakdown unless you ask for it.

I did rest but that was in spite of all the little hassles. And in fairness, every time something went wrong, they did try to fix it. But I was only there for 2 days and really way too much went wrong. At this level, I expect things to be seamless and smooth so found the experience a bit disappointing.

• Stayed December 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 December 2010
It is most regretful that this stay was marred by frustrating problems and first and foremost we would like to apologise again. Our boilers and Sky TV systems are both serviced on a regular basis and it is very unfortunate that both caused us problems over the festive season. Our own maintenance team were on hand to deal with such problems however as you can imagine it is a challenging time of year to source parts and specialist support. Regarding the confusion with orders for room service, I have discussed this with our Restaurant Manager, who has asked me to convey how sorry he is for this lapse in service. Despite every effort to make everything perfect, things can go wrong from time to time and I am embarrassed that we failed to exceed this guest’s expectations on this occasion. We look forward to welcoming this guest back in the New Year and plan to make contact directly.
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

Stayed here for a relaxing pre-birth/spa weekend with my wife. Booked a junior suite, which was expensive but just about delivered for the price. Not huge/ostentatious but very comfortable and warm, with outside patio (good for summer, not really a draw during the coldest winter in memory).

Staff are very welcoming and, whilst some risk "formality", cannot do enough for you. Swimming and hydrotherapy pools are fantastic, gym is a basic fitness room but does the job unless you are in pre-Olympic training. Food and drink is, as one sadly comes to expect in these places, very expensive....although I have never had a £15 sandwich that lives up to its billing, it managed to just avoid annoying me given the surroundings and the fact that this place was not designed to be a motorway stopover.

Close to the sea for a bracing walk and my wife said the spa treatments were good - they have "mother to be"; treatments. Admittedly, I don't know kuch about this apsect of our stay as I was in my room with a beer or two watching England hammer Australia at Twickenham, so all in all a great weekend.

If you want an expensive, relaxing and luxurious weekend, this place does what it says on the tin.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 December 2010
It was good to read that this reviewer enjoyed a pre-birth spa weekend with his wife and found Chewton Glen to be both comfortable and warm.

We encourage the staff to be themselves at all times and the intention is for them to be hospitable rather than subservient. We endeavour to avoid being too formal at all costs however it is important that we remain professional at all times. All of our food and drink prices include a 10% service charge which sometimes makes us look more expensive than we actually are and as I am sure this reviewer experienced, none of the staff would accept any further gratuities.

We look forward to welcoming these guests back as a family hopefully in the not too distant future.
Banstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

Chewton Glen is a lovely country house hotel, the grounds are beautiful and on the whole we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was easy to find and the welcome we received was fantastic - the car was whisked away, luggage taken to our room and the manager came out to greet us! Brilliant.

Lunch when we arrived was a disappointment. We both ordered club sandwiches which were so salty they were inedible. Both were sent back and replaced but a bad start!

Room was lovely and we were unexpectedly upgraded to a suite.

Spa, brilliant. I had two mother to be treatments which were fantastic. They were also very accommodating when we needed to change the time of our treatments. Unfortunately even though we booked a 2 day spa break we had to have both treatments on the same day which wasn't ideal, so I would check with the hotel before you book that the spa has availability for when you're there....

Dinner both nights was lovely. Perhaps too many offers of 'would you like more bread' but this is my only complaint. Cheese board fantastic!

Our room was turned down nicely but a plate of dried fruit/flapjack was left on the coffee table half eaten for the whole 2 days.....perhaps it should have been refreshed or removed?

Overall a brilliant experience. We had a lovely 'afternoon tea' for lunch on the 2nd day.

I think the only way this hotel needs to improve is more communication between reservations and the spa and then with the restaurant there should have been more communication between the wine waiters and food service, as we often found we were eating our starter without any wine.....!

The hotel is cozy and very welcoming. We would go again, but there is room for improvement.

Final point - it's VERY hot in the hotel!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We were delighted to read that overall these guests had a brilliant experience and very much appreciate the feedback regarding a couple of points that we could have improved on. It was disappointing that the club sandwiches on arrival had to be replaced and of course I have passed this issue on to our executive chef. Similarly I have communicated with our spa manager regarding the allocation of spa treatments and also spoken to our head housekeeper about refreshing the fruit plate. I was also saddened that the communication could have been improved and although this is the exception rather than the norm, we will undoubtedly focus on what we can do to improve.

Lastly getting the temperature right is always a challenge in such an old building however again we have taken this point on board. We look forward to welcoming these guests back in the New Year.
swanage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

what can i say, from top to bottom this hotel is amazing the food has the wow factor the staff have every element that's needed to run this marvelous hotel. The interior desiner has got it spot on i really could go on but you should really try for yourselves.
BIG WELL DONE to all the staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I am thrilled that this reviewer felt that the staff gave Chewton Glen the “Wow Factor”. Eeveryone works very hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and I know that they will all be delighted with such positive feedback.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

We returned to Chewton Glen for a weekend escape in October. We have been before and always know we are going to be able to completely switch off and be pampered. As always, everything was perfect. All the staff were extremely welcoming and hospitable. Everything we needed was immediately dealt with - forgotten toothbrush, bicycles to borrow..We had some wonderful meals at the hotel and at some local restaurants, enjoyed an excellent facial and spent hours relaxing in the jet pools at the spa. We highly recommend Chewton Glen - there is something about the way you are looked after which make the atmosphere very special.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
Many thanks to this reviewer for such positive feedback! We thoroughly
enjoyed spoiling them and are thrilled that it did the trick.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,541 reviews

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!