New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Amazing....10 out of 10 for service, attention to detail and the excellence of the staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to the Chewton Glen team for what was undoubtedly an amazing weekend. My girlfriend (now wife to be) had the time of her life and it was all down to the hard work and effort of everyone behind the scenes at the Chewton Glen. I planned a surprise proposal and everything went so smoothly. I couldn’t have asked for a better weekend.

We stayed in the Marryat Suite which was beautiful and I would highly recommend it to all guests thinking of staying at the Chewton Glen. Very spacious and excellent facilities; a home from home.

We we will certainly be returning to stay at the Chewton Glen again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

This was our second visit to Chewton Glen and it was as good as remembered it to be.
Service was excellent throughout - not often the case in England.
We had a gold room overlooking the croquet lawn. The room was very spacious, well equiped with a large bathroom. Two minor criticisms - the lighting could be better - it was quite difficult to read in bed and the bathroom needed a little bit of maintenance (dodgy plugs)
We ate in the restaurant on both evenings, the menu offered plenty of choice and the quality of the dishes was uniformly high. I can see why it is rated 3 rosettes by the AA.
We had wondered whether the hotel would be devoid of atmosphere given the time of our stay but this was not the case. We will go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ChewtonGlenNewForest, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
We were delighted that these guests enjoyed their return visit to Chewton Glen as much as their first and that they made particular note of the service and the food. We also very much appreciate the feedback regarding the bedside lighting and the plugs in the bathroom. The latter has already been dealt with by the maintenance team and these guests will be pleased to note that all of our newly refurbished bedrooms benefit from reading lights next to the bed. We very much hope that these guests will find time to pay us a third visit in the not too distant future.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

slowly but surely this grande dame of hotels is slipping. service is still excellent throughout but the place is looking tired. the previous owners kept investing to keep the hotel ahead of the competion , this seems now to no longer be the case. The lounges are not at all private and at ties the hotel is over run with external guests. it is also terribly expensive and poor value for money.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I am saddened that this reviewer felt that Chewton Glen was looking tired and I was quite shocked by this observation. Since the hotel changed hands five years ago, it has remained under the same management team and the level of investment in the fabric of the building has continued at the same pace. In the last five years alone, we have refurbished all of the lounges and 25 bedrooms which equates to 43% of our total room stock. We have just refurbished our hydrotherapy pool and are almost halfway through a complete restaurant refurbishment which is costing us a Million Pounds. Not to mention the numerous smaller projects and those investments which are not always visible to guests. We have a team of five maintenance staff, two of whom are full time painters and more often than not we score 100% in our mystery guest inspections.

Chewton Glen is undoubtedly not a cheap hotel however with the luxurious bedrooms and extensive facilities, it does generally score well when it comes to value. It is also worth remembering all of our rates include a service charge. On a more positive note, I was pleased that these guests appreciated the excellent service and I sincerely hope that on their next visit to the hotel they will also feel positively about the state of the building as well and with this in mind, I would value the opportunity to discuss their concerns in person.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

We chose the Chewton Glen for our very small and intimate wedding day, upon arrival we were greeted by the Managing Director Andrew Stembridge and Hotel Manager Ashley Ely introduced himself an hour or so later.

Our room was stunning, with the biggest twin shower you have ever seen, clean and immaculate all round, very comfortable and relaxing.

Nothing was too much trouble and our beautiful wedding day was everything we had hoped it would be and more, the attention to detail in both the wedding ceremony and the wedding breakfast room was to perfection. The food was of the highest quality and service was impeccable, we were looked after by our own host, who took care of any unforeseen issues. All of our wedding guests were very impressed, and many had never experienced a hotel like this.

We stayed for three glorious days and nights, and can honestly say we could not fault anything, food fantastic, breakfast try the freshly made waffles. Staff extremely polite and nothing too much trouble. The grounds of the hotel superb, with beautiful walks down to the beach.

Anyone thinking of a wedding venue and want perfection this is the place to go. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barnaby78
This is the type of the review that makes all of our efforts worthwhile and we are over the moon that these guests had such a special wedding day and honeymoon to follow. Needless to say I have enjoyed sharing their comments with the whole team and we sincerely hope that Chewton Glen will be the chosen venue for their first Wedding Anniversary.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

I took my husband to Chewton Glen for his birthday after Christmas, recommended by a high profile client I work with. I had saved up for months to take him to this 5 star place. It was a huge disappointment and incredibly expensive considering we got a deal as it was January - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner was VERY expensive.The stay was OK but I was very disappointed when I complained to them....On the last day my husband and I went to the spa and pool and afterwards we went to the Pool buffet where my husband had the buffet and I ordered a fresh dish as I am pregnant and you have to be careful with buffets...Little did I know that woudl be a good decision ! When we checked out we were disappointed to see extras on our bill that they took off. They sent the bill to me and my husband after I had told them not to as I was paying for him - so that put him in a foul mood. To top it off when we left my husband started to feel unwell and when we got home he didnt stop being sick. He was sick all night and had to take the next day off work. We called the doctor who said it was food poisoning and we worked out that it was due to the buffet. We had only ahd food at the hotel. So, in light of this I called the hotel to let them know (in case anyone else got it) and I was very disappointed at the treatment by the management. The manager took forever to call back, was very dismissive and unsympathetic with me. For a 5 star hotel the manager was useless. He has since never called me back after he was going to speak to his 'environment consultant'. He never called back and quite frankly I wouldn't recommend the place. Over priced and very rude management. The other staff in the spa, front desk and on the door were lovely ...Considering this is a Relais and Chateuax Hotel I have had better service and food at a Handpicked Hotel !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Travelstar36_11
, General Manager at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
I was horrified and embarrassed to read this review especially in light of the fact that we always respond to any complaints within 24 hours and are extremely proactive about food safety and hygiene. Ashley Ely our Hotel Manager responded to this guest directly and phoned her back the same day, leaving a message as she was unavailable. Ashley immediately investigated the matter and discovered that the spa buffet was visited by a total of 40 guests on the day in question. It is also worth noting that no food is ever kept from this area from one day to the next and in fact any remaining foods are always taken to our staff room for the team to enjoy. Although Ashley confirmed at the time that no other guests had reported any illness he failed to go back to this guest again after his investigations and following subsequent conversations with our Health & Safety Consultant, which he is very sorry about. Without seeing a patient and a without testing, it is in our eyes inappropriate for a GP to confirm that the reported symptoms were in fact food poisoning and given the circumstances and advice we have been given, feel that it is likely that the illness was caused by a virus.
All of our management team are extremely caring and they in fact set the tone for the rest of the team. Having said this there are times when one needs to deal with accusations of food poisoning in a factual manner and I can only apologise if this came across in the wrong way. Ultimately I am saddened that this guest is not happy with the way we have dealt with her complaint and it goes without saying that we will make every effort to demonstrate that we do care a lot and will take steps to restore their faith in Chewton Glen.
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

We were recommended to take afternoon tea at this hotel.
It was my mothers 75Th birthday so a very special occasion in our eyes and we were looking forward to spoiling her to a wonderful experience of afternoon tea at Chewton Glen.
Sorry to say it was anything but 'special'. We arrived slightly early and were told that our table was not yet laid up so were shown to another small table ( For two ) there were four of us. Wrongly presuming that we would eventually be shown to a table for four we ordered tea. This arrived and the waiter struggled to get the tea pots and cups onto such a small table.
Later than booked the first stand of sandwiches and cakes arrived. We explained to the waiter that this table was not going to be big enough for us to eat at so he dragged another table over. The tea arrived and we had to ask for the second stand of sandwiches before we could begin. No one seemed to be looking after us and on three occasions we had to go looking for a waiter to get some service. After waiting some considerable time for more tea when it arrived it was cold! We then asked another waiter to change it and the tea tasted of earl grey although we had ordered English breakfast tea.
This was a very special occasion for us but was completely spoilt by the lack of service and a waiter who was intent on arguing with us that he had made English breakfast tea.
We now also have the embarrassment of telling our friends who recommended the hotel how bad it was.
This hotel's five star status in our opinion is not warranted due to the lack of service and attention to detail.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Cabbage53
It is most regretful that this reviewer’s afternoon tea experience was not up to the usual high standard and first and foremost I would like to apologise. Normally we are able to deal with guests arriving early however the lounges were particularly busy and hence these guests were shown to a smaller table rather than leaving them waiting. In hindsight the lounge team should have subsequently moved them to a larger table however wrongly assumed that this would be seen as an inconvenience.
Salvatore our Bar and Lounge Manager served these guests personally and is saddened that they felt that he was inattentive. Ultimately we are all disappointed that this special occasion was not as perfect as it should have been and we have already been in contact directly to invite them back. Needless to say we will use this feedback in a constructive manner to target specific training needs and prevent similar problems reoccurring in the future.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

We had a Gold room with views over the croquet lawn. Very nice room with loads of lovely inclusive extras e.g. Champagne, fruit, gifts for kids. The service was outstanding.

The only bug bear was the additional charge for breakfast but if you accept this as part of the deal you'll not regret a stay at Chewton Glen.

• Stayed October 2010
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,541 reviews

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!