“Wonderful retreat”

Surrey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wonderful retreat”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I were staying at Chewton Glen for three nights with our 9 week old twins. I had the chance to escape to the Spa on a couple of occasions and was quickly able to relax and unwind in the wonderful hydrotherapy pool. The Linda Meredith facial was superb.

Visited January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“5 star location and facilities but not the restaurant to match”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at Chewton Glen for two nights. The room and facilities are as described on the web site and in particular the spa is lovely as were the treatments. However, the restaurant experience was not satisfactory. The food was below par and the service was not at a standard commensurate with a hotel of this price and standing. Mainly lots of niggles such as lack of depth of flavour, bread coming after the starter, wine not being poured, Cote de Boeuf not being carved properly, - probably sounds a bit picky but these are just a few examples which lead to our experience not being what it should have been.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Paul M
Surrey, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Worth the extra ££ outlay, everything included.”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Finding myself with a Friday with the opportunity of a day off, I called Chewton Glen last minute for a couples spa day within my boyfriend. Unfortunately, the "close traditional shave option" for the male could not fit in with their available spa practitioners, but they did offer alternatives...& in the end, I am sure he enjoyed his manicure/pedicure (tee hee).

The breakfast box is a nice touch, simple fare of granola, apricots & pastries, and is not normally included in a spa day. The cafe area dedicated to the spa & leisure areas is bright, clean and constantly manned. You can drink as many soft drinks as you like all day, again not normally included in other spas. Whilst on food, the lunch is nicely cooked, varied and there are some treats (brownies & little pies) as well as healthy food.

We pre-booked to join a core stability session, conducted outside due to good weather. This was an excellent addition to the day, and worth enquiring about. My favourite part of the facilities was the hydrotherapy suite, with bubble massage beds and strong water jets. There are also some fantastic heated stone recliners which are perfect for keeping you warm after a dip in the outdoor heated jacuzzi. The Turkish bath and steam rooms, plus foot bath, can be found in the changing rooms; hence that part of the day you cannot share with a significant other.

Our first treatments were excellent. I cannot say I enjoyed the salt scrub and seaweed pack, but a day later and my skin is shining and smooth. My chap had an excellent prescriptive massage, again brutal but effective. Now all this would suggest I should give the spa an excellent rating or 5 points (I would give 4.5 if I could); however a few elements lowered this- just. My pedicure was valued at £34, and frankly that would have too much for a cuticle push back and a paint (no oils, no dead skin removal) in any part of the country. Finally, on booking and checking out the staff seemed to have problems using and reading their IT systems. On leaving we had had extra drinks and one of the pedicures added as an extra charge, & it took a little too long to unravel.

This spa days with 2 treatments, breakfast, lunch and all facilities cost £165 each. It is significantly more expensive than day spas in the area, but some will charge for teas and coffees or time in a hydrotherapy pool. The facilities are first class and there is a small but well equipped gym.

A luxury day, which would work well as a treat or gift.

Visited July 2011
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Superb Country House Hotel”
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We stayed for 2 nights in February (my wife and I and my mother and a friend). This place is virtually faultless. Rooms (all silver) are fantastic and huge. Ours had his and hers everything including 2 separate showers in the same shower room for joint showers!!)

After 2 days of super service, great food and fantastic spa the fact that the waiter forgot to ask me if I wanted my porridge with water or milk on the first day is about the only thing I could find wrong!!!

If you want to be pampered stay at this place

Voorhees, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Stressfree Stay”
Reviewed 2 June 2007

This hotel is one of the most professionally run where we have stayed: the staff made you feel like a valued guest immediately. We were met on arrival by name and shown to our room. The Bronze room we booked was much bigger than we anticipated. Everything in the room was spotless and the appliances worked well,

The room air conditioning was the most efficient we have found in the UK, wireless internet was reliable and complimentary and the power shower and tub great. The balcony provided a restful country view and the whole experience was very relaxing. The room was upholstered and maintained to a high standard.

We had dinner on two nights and enjoyed the food. There is an extensive wine list starting at £18 per bottle to well the sky's the limit. It is expensive: cocktails, dinner and a "cheaper" bottle of wine cost £175 for two. Breakfast was also good with excellent pastries and an optional English breakfast at £ 25 per person. Gratuities are included in every charge and no gratuities are sought or accepted.

The Spa was really excellent.

In short this hotel is first class with excellent personal service iwth the the price tag to pay for it.

2 Thank TRANSATLANTIC GUY