“Disappointing”
Review of Chewton Glen Spa

Chewton Glen Spa
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Our parents gave us some money as a wedding present to treat ourselves on honeymoon, so we decided to have a spa day at Chewton Glen. I never write negative reviews, and perhaps my disappointment was magnified as this was a wedding present but unfortunately this spa failed to impress.

We paid £100 each which didn't include any food drink or treatments, but it was an award winning spa so we thought it would be worth it. In fairness, the changing rooms and the hydrotherapy pool were very good and worthy of any good spa. However the service was not. I thought for the amount we paid to enter that it would at least include a glass of water. Instead the only refreshment available was out of metal water fountains with no cups. When we went to the pool bar to get some lunch we were totally ignored by all the members of staff. After several minutes of awkwardly standing around I eventually asked a waiter if we just seated ourselves. His curt response was that there were no available tables. I then had to press him for further information: could we reserve a table and come back later? Is there somewhere we can wait? What can we do to get a table? He told us "You can wait at the bar if you really want to." We then Waited at the bar for over 15 minutes where all staff ignored us and the bar men did not offer us a drink. When we were finally seated we were given a menu in silence (no offers of a drink, no apology for our wait) where the only real option was the cold buffet which was £20 each. I then noticed that there was also a 12.5% service charge on all bills, which would have meant for a cold buffet lunch and a drink each we would have been looking at £60. Not too bad if the service is good and you want to treat yourself but not worth it when you're being ignored by all the members of staff.

We decided to leave the pool bar and go hungry and return to the water fountains for a drink. As far as we could tell, apart from the hydrotherapy pool, the only other thing to do together (sauna and steam rooms are in same sex changing rooms) was take a dip in the pool. This was again very nice, but a little over rated.

Apart from the terrible service, there was nothing that horrendously bad about this spa, but for £200 it felt like we had paid a lot of money for what was essentially a glorified swimming pool and jacuzzi. It was especially disappointing, as I have mentioned, we made it very clear we were on our honeymoon and the spa day was a wedding present. We weren't expecting a free glass of champagne, but a smile from a member of staff would have been nice, or a drink out of a glass that didn't incur a service charge.

7  Thank JordanC938

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We booked the twilight package and we found the service to be very unflexible, especially on St. Valentine's day. Due to bad weather and driving for 4h from London,we did not manage to come on time for our treatments. Even after giving them plenty of notice they did not do anything to help us reschedule or offer alternatives. After that we wanted to have dinner from the buffet but they closed y as well. In addition the towels and bathrobes had yellow stains. Not impressed at all.

2  Thank Eva I
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our stay at Chewton Glen was excellent. The room we were allocated was lovely and the staff were attentive, efficient and friendly. If you have good weather the walk down to the near beach is just wonderful and a great way to walk off a big breakfast! It's a pricey place but you get what you pay for in my eyes. We didn't have any treatments but did use the spa facilities which were wonderful. My only constructive criticism would be to turn the temperature up in the outside hot tub - as it was a little too cold. Apart from that a really enjoyable stay and we're already planning a return visit. Ooh and the tree houses look fab :)

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed the lovely swimming and hydrotherapy pool while my wife was delighted with her spa treatment sea weed wrap.

Lunch was delicious and we managed to sit outside which was fantastic for October.

Only disappointment was having paid full whack as non staying guest of the hotel to use facilities only to find out the outdoor hot tub, which I was looking forward to was not operational, staff informed me it was broken when I raised this once I realised and had seen the note on the changing room door.

1  Thank matthew m
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I read so many amazing reviews abut the hotel & the Spa so it was fitting that i got my friend a baby shower voucher a couple of months ago and decided to join her this past weekend and also stay overnight. From the moment we arrived, it was all a big disappointment. With high hopes we pulled up the lovely circular courtyard and were told my the bellboy who was loading someones car that he will "be right back"- after watching him pack the car and then drive it off, we waited a good 5-10 mins before we hauled our own luggage and just left to the car to go check in- we never saw the bellboy again. I had roughly 30 mins before I was due at the Spa so thought i would have a tea on the terrace. It took 20mins for the tea and my husbands drink to come by which time it was too late for me to have it and had to dash off to the Spa - this was the first of many service let downs throughout our stay. I was left wondering how could it take 20mins to bring 2 drinks at 1130am where the terrace was not busy at all? My next stop was the Spa where I thought i was going to be basking in luxurious high-end treatments. Upon arrival, I was guided to a waiting room where i was told to fill out a card and just wait but i could help myself to some lemon water in plastic cups. There was no explanation of what was to come. When i did meet with the therapist she was not impressed that i changed my massage treatment to something longer and had to check at the front desk that it was right while I just stood to the side- she could have said something along the lines of "I'm sorry I don't have your amended treatment on my card but if you wait right here (or could have taken me to treatment room) I will just double check some information". The blissful treatment that I was waiting for then turned out to be what I like to call "basting" - where literally someone just rubs oil all over you like you're a piece of chicken about to be roasted. Moving on to the Essential Manicure, it was basically a file & polish with cream rubbed on the cuticles which were then slightly pushed with a vibrating plastic machine. I asked the therapist if she was going to cut away the cuticles and she said no but she could do I wanted to - I'm sorry but if a nail technician does not know the basics of a manicure then there is no point of continuing with any of my requests. Four days later, the manicure is basically cracking and chipping off- I've had better mini-manicures in London at the most basic day spas where taking off cuticles and shaping the nail beds is essential to any over 30minute manicure. The technician looked like she barely knew anything about nails except to change the polish so here I am back in London, and needing to go and get a proper manicure. After the spa we decided to have cream tea by the pool where again service was an issue- warm tea, no plates, etc. You can imagine any kind of eating experience is ruined when it does not come together properly or where key elements are missing. Aside from the outstanding sommelier, the heavenly beds, and the tasting menu at Vetiver, everything else was definitely not reminiscent of a 5 star hotel or an award-winning spa retreat. We were reminded of that on Sunday morning when during breakfast it took 10 minutes for the coffee to come, the toast came 5 minutes after the eggs arrived leaving them cold, there were no napkins, and no butter- a complete disaster when you see service staff just standing around or walking by casually. The last straw was again when we went to check out and there were items on the bill in error but we had to wait to explain that to the woman who upon checking us out as she decided to take a telephone call and sort out someone else's issue- of course there were 3 other staff members sitting at the desks doing their own thing. I know I've mentioned alot of detail but when you're trying to have a lovely spa weekend you want it to be outstanding- especially when the total cost for for one night with treatements and dinner etc was close to £1000. - This spa has nothing on The Grove or Cowley Manor.

6  Thank majka