“A fab hotel that comes right out of the middle of the bat!”
Review of The Cricketers Inn

The Cricketers Inn
Ranked #23 of 25 Petersfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My son chose this hotel as he was looking over my shoulder whilst I dealt with laterooms. Both of us are big cricket fans and we play as much as we watch, so he said 'go on Dad, stay there'! I am so glad I did.
It was fabulous Terry and his team have completely re-invented what was a failing establishment by refurbishing and providing the 4 things you hope for most : good beer, good food, good rooms and great service.
Its not the Hilton, but if you want a soulless, plastic, 'bed factory' go stay at one. The Cricketers is clean and welcoming with character and warmth. Terry admits there is still much to do and it is a work in progress but don't let that out you off. B & B less than £80 is rare these days unless you are prepared to compromise your standards. There is no compromise here. Its excellent value for money.
My evening meal was outstanding as was my breakfast. An authentic wood fired Pizza oven delivered an excellent dinner and Roady was the perfect host! Breakfast had the 'world on a plate'. Again, with no compromise on quality
Don't argue with me, just stay there! You deserve their hospitality and they deserve to make the Cricketers THE 'go to' place when staying in that part of the country; it will be my bolt hole from now on without question! (ps Cracking pint of Grolsch!)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were looking for a quiet place close to home for a night away from it all. Couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome. All the staff were very friendly and accommodating and the room was clean, fresh and nicely decorated. The breakfast we were served the following morning was nicely presented and made from wholesome fresh ingredients. We both returned home feeling fully refreshed and would definitely recommend this nicely decorated country inn.

Room Tip: Only 6 rooms available which makes for a quiet, pleasant and attentive stay
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked two rooms at the Cricketers Inn this week one for me and one for a colleague as we were travelling down to Hampshire on business. We are a start-up so quite frugal when it come to expenses. I managed to book the rooms at £69 each (inc breakfast) - This was cheaper than the local Premier Inn. This is the special winter rate, I know it goes up after valentines day.

Anyway, the pub is located in a gorgeous setting, the room was clean comfortable and warm, with all the expected comforts (TV, Tea / Coffee, Iron). If I have a criticism, it's just that the shower cabinet is a little small, but the owner explained they are looking at investing in sorting this.

Th real gem here is the gastropub that the rooms are attached too. Quite literally excellent!! I had lemon sole, my colleague rib-eyed steak all very fresh and prepared in a wonderful gastro style... nice wines available and a great breakfast too!!

Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I came for lunch with a friend this week,was recommended the beef stew. I have not had food so badly presented since I had stew at school. A dollop of stew and dry boiled potatoes No garnish or additional vegetables. The meat was dry and tough and only just warm enoughThe decor was good but I had hoped for something better.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rosalind B
Reviewed 27 December 2013

A storm taking out the power meant our Christmas plans were a mess.
A recommendation to The Cricketers was a great relief. We were greeted by Ruddy and Terry who could not do enough for us. They were so very nice, we REALLY did feel Genuinely welcome.
The accommodation was great! Large rooms, warm comfortable and clean. All the usual facillities: TV, Coffee/Tea making, lovely powerful shower with plenty of hot water and an excellent iron that was perfect to do my Christmas day shirt.
The Bar was welcoming and had a lovely village atmosphere, lovely open fires and real portraits above give a real civilised atmosphere Some really nice beers on tap. With reasonable prices to match. Service is never too much trouble they are all there to make your stay as good as it can be. Now the food..... Excellent!
Lamb in a mint and tomato gravy with a potato Rosti base. Wow! I will be having that again.
There is plenty of parking space and finding The Cricketers was easy, look for the sign with a Big White Cricketer as you drive through the Village of Steep.
A Christmas was saved thanks to Terry and Ruddy. Cheers Guys and to all your staff that made that Christmas Dinner possible.

Room Tip: I stayed downstairs, parking my car a few feet away made unloading simple. There is little noise any...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Phil W
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Sunday lunch in late August, when we arrived at 1.00, not one ale was on, barman continued his conversation with someone else whilst serving me, came over as rather disinterested, the food was just ok, both the steak & lamb were fatty and also required some hard chewing, small helpings and rather over-priced, staff were friendly enough but the pub came over as rather amateurish!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Notasgoodasithinkiam
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Excellent menu and I especially loved the sticky duck pizza cooked before my eyes in the huge pizza oven. We visited on a weekday evening but the pub still had a lovely warming atmosphere and we were lucky enough to be entertained by a local musician playing the harp! Would highly recommend a visit, especially on one the live music evenings.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lara B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersfield
The Trooper Inn
#8 of 25 in Petersfield
Crescent Cottage
Crescent Cottage
#1 of 25 in Petersfield

Been to The Cricketers Inn? Share your experiences!