“A very comfortable and hospitable stay”
Review of The Trooper

The Trooper
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersfield
The Trooper
Ranked #20 of 25 Petersfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at The Trooper Inn for three nights. The room was beautifully clean and well equipped, the beds were extremely comfortable. A very friendly staff who made us feel welcome immediately. Breakfasts were amazing. A family dinner was good but must confess I was disappointed with the artichoke main course. This did not however distract from the general relaxed ambience in beautiful surroundings. We will definitely stay again.
Julie W

Room Tip: A room overlooking the downs would be spectacular.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I spend a lot of my life on the road and it's rare that I stay somewhere I think "I really must return for a stay" and this was one of those places.

The rooms are mid way between B+B and hotel - the smart-ness of a hotel but with the personal touches of a B+B such as fruit (a little wrinkled, but nice) and biscuits.

The bath was SUPERB and the bathroom very nicely appointed - my room had the benefit of a skylight which was welcome as it was very hot.

The bar/restaurant is very good - I had a superb steak, actually superb, although the chips weren't really to my liking (guess I must be a frenchman, I prefer them thin cut) and the service very good.

If there was a Trooper Inn everywhere, I'd happily say bye-bye to Premier Inn and Best Western! Well done everyone!

Room Tip: Make sure to eat in the pub - the food is superb! Ideally get the 'Chawston' room if it...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My work ensures that I get to travel all over the country staying in all manner of hotels,pubs and gastro pubs and this is one of my favourite places to stay and eat. Every time I stay one of my meals will be the best I've had all year and the others will of been just fantastic. Some of the rooms are a little small and in the winter they can be a little cool but book as early as you can to ensure you get a bigger room and don't dream of eating anywhere else. Staff are always great and never too in your face which makes a welcome change. Prices for rooms are really good and meal prices are good considering the quality of the food served. Even the house wines are excellent. If you don't like quirky and you like the familiar feeling of a chain then you may not enjoy it but be brave and your world may change for the better.

Room Tip: Ashford is a great room but not sure i should share this info
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed here for a night to celebrate a family anniversary. We had dinner here and found it to be very well presented with attentive service. The lamb was very tasty although the chocolate tart dessert was a bit disappointing.

The room was just big enough with lovely views of the countryside.

Breakfast was really good too.

Recommended

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013

It was a very busy Saturday, and we called in on our way following a family visit.
Its a bit muddled, as to what it is , ........pub/restaurant containing an ecclectic mix of 'tat'.!
We had a drink, at the bar, as all tables taken by people eating, - the usual these days.
So is it a pub, we thought not, its trying to be a 'country'restaurant, with someones collection from their attic on dsplay.!!
The staff were pleasant enough, pushing food, but we thought the place to be 'odd'......& wouldn't bother calling here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Good food, good beer, good atmosphere in a good location.

You need to book.

On a main road so get someone to drive you or abstain.

Great collection of black and white photos of film stars and celebrities.

Great place for a family Sunday lunch.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The trooper is an old fashioned country inn some 3 miles outside Petersfield. The rooms are large and well presented. Breakfast included is traditional full English. Staff are friendly and helfull. Atmosphere - relaxed

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family