“Comfortable stay with excellent service”
Review of The Old Drum

and 1 more site!
The Old Drum
Ranked #6 of 25 Petersfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed he with my wife on the Thursday evening before Goodwood revival, often a difficult time to book with accommodation racking the prices up to account for the demand. the old drum is comfortable with a warm welcome, well appointed rooms and a particularly nice touch was a dram of whiskey along with the usual tea and coffee as well as still and sparkling water. We did not eat in but the menu looked to be above average pub food and heading for gastro pub, they also have an early evening tapas menu. With a cooked to order breakfast the following morning the overall stay was excellent and I shall certainly use again when in the area.

Room Tip: I do not think they have too many rooms so cannot comment
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We found the pub to be beautiful with extremely freindly staff who made us feel comfortable quickly upon arrival, even providing fresh milk for our room. The room itself was freshly decorated with a smart bathroom and comfy bed. Unfortunately their was a dirty used glass in our room which was the only oversight on a spotless room.
Staff were flexible with when we could come down for breakfast. My husband had a lovely cooked breakfast, but what was most suprising was that there was no option for a vegetarian cooked breakfast which should always be available in any b&b- instead I had scrambled eggs and a cooked tomatoe. This was a big let down for the stay unfortunately.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

I spent two nights here whilst working locally and found The Old Drum superb across the board. The room was spacious with a big, comfy bed, it was all spotlessly clean, the little touches like the complimentary whisky in a decanter was welcome and unusual. The food was excellent, particularly the burger which was excellent value. Staff were delightful at all times. Only negative was the 7am building work beneath my room but I think this was just bad luck.
Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly disappointed by our recent visit on a Friday night. We had tapas and a burger for food in the garden. The burger was £9.95 and consisted, as a meal, of a burger in a bun and a few chips. There was no option for anything green, either on the plate or in the bun and when asked I was told that there is zero flexibility on the menu to add salad!
The burger arrived and was, quite frankly, bland. Had any waiting staff come and actually asked how out meal was then I would have said, failing that, I have had to write this review to give my feedback.
We left after one drink having been totally ignored and undervalued as a paying customers. Perhaps if we were 10 years older and 'looked like' we had money we would have had better service?

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Harbourne
Reviewed 10 July 2013

A free house with a great range of beers on tap, eclectic style and Petersfield's answer to The Wykeham Arms.

Always busy and deservedly so, book to avoid disappointment.

Tapas s an ideal way to stav off the hunger, with good weather again, imagine you're in Santiago.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Having known the pub back in the day ( grimey rugby pub), I was interested in the new refurb. Went for lunch on a sunny Friday afternoon and the pub wasn't busy but had a few tables of smarter ladies lunching and an older chap or two. Charming staff.
First impressions is very "niace". You have your wooden floor, sage green and white paintwork and dark wood furniture. There is more than one menu to appeal to all good middle class lunching types. There's a tapas menu, a special of haddock fishcake (£9.95), another of .chicken salad (with a whole breast £12.50), a paper menu with starters mains and puds and and a range of baguettes.
We sat in the garden which was well designed with wooden seating divided by pagodas. I had the chorizo, tomato and clam tapas plus a halloumi, potato, pea and mint version (£4 each). My friend had the fishcake special. He was pleased declaring it all delicious and the seperate chips certainly were. My chorizo dish was rubbish with most of the taste coming from the tinned tomato's. The halloumi was better flavoured and more substantial having several new potatoes.Real ales were good.
I'd come back back but it doesn't stand out in a sea of similar (identical) places to eat in town and the villages nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just spent a super night at the Old Drum. Enjoyed an excellent tapas lunch in the sunny oasis of the garden. Explored Petersfield properly knowing we were there for the night. Superb and imaginative dinner menu, excellently cooked an presented. Wine was well priced and there was an interesting selection of ales and ciders. Service was efficient and friendly. Then to bed in what was probably, next to our own bed, the most comfy ever! Room was elegantly decorated and furnished with excellent en-suite. All in all a lovely break away and as easy access from the station a good place for a short break away if you don't fancy taking the car. Hope to be back soon to the lovely Old Drum with friends and family.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersfield
Langrish House
#3 of 25 in Petersfield
Crescent Cottage
Crescent Cottage
#1 of 25 in Petersfield

Been to The Old Drum? Share your experiences!