“Excellent and inventive food”
Review of The Cricketers Inn

The Cricketers Inn
Ranked #50 of 67 Restaurants in Petersfield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent and inventive food”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The cauliflower soup was delicious if not a bit salty and the polenta chips with parmesan were great. The fish and chips had a beautiful presentation and was huge. Nice selection of beers, wines and champagne. The food quality was over and above what one would expect at a little country inn and the price was cheap by our London standards. Staff were helpful and polite and the atmosphere was cozy chic. Apparently their pizzas, which we didn't try, are the signature dish. They make them right before your eyes in their wood-fired kiln and they have unique flavours like the Greek Goddess with feta and olives, the Sticky Duck with braised duck legs and hoisin sauce and The Posh Man's Meat Feast with chorizo, prosciutto and pesto.

Visited May 2014

Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The decor of this pub has inproved so much over the last couple of years, but the owners just dont seem to know or care what the locals want to make this pub successful. Food is over priced and far too fussy. I dont want to pay £6 for a bowl of soup served in a teacup, it isnt filling and doesnt make me feel Im getting good value! Come on, listen to your locals, we would support you completely if you give us well priced wholesome food, stop trying to be something you are not!

• Visited April 2014
Haslemere, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The place looked lovely and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Sadly, this is where it ended for us.

We ordered the Cricketers Burger and the roast lamb rump. The burger bun was very hard and the salad was extremely lacklustre, looking beyond it's best. The burger was pretty much unseasoned and far too rare (admittedly, we should have sent it back for further cooking).
The lamb was presented with the 'herby vegetables', such as they were - tiny cubes of bits and pieces in a dreadful, fatty tasting sauce. The lamb was way too rare for me, but again, perhaps I should have requested further cooking.
The puddings were really dreadful. They sounded lovely, but bore no resemblance when presented, to how they had been described on the menu. Over cooked biscuit accompanying a totally bland "white chocolate mouse" and an almond "tart" which looked more like a slab of cake shoved on a plate with no decoration at all. The worst bit of this particular tart was the huge amount of "home-made" jam (clearly from a shop bought pot) simply dumped on the top. Not sure what the chef was aiming for with that, but it was unpleasant to say the least.

Sad to say that despite the lovely ambience and staff, we would neither recommend them or dream of going back there to eat.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Location... Nice Decor... Pizza Disastor..”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Decided to try The Cricketers as it is fairly close and we haven't been there for a very long time. The sun was out so we decided to eat outside, the decor inside is very impressive and would entice you to re-visit, the staff young and easy to deal with. The menu looked great albeit a bit pricey on first observation.. They have two menu`s from what I could, see your traditional roasts etc to a full Pizza menu due to them having a stone baked oven. So I decided on the Roast Lamb my wife a Greek pizza that sounded great. Both dishes came in great time.. But this is were we have our gripe.. The roast lamb with 4 potatoes and wilted greens was very average for the price.. it came in what I would call a mules mariniere bowl!! a bit different but edible. The Pizza we were expecting was completely different to what was presented.. what can only be described as a shop bought pizza with toppings thrown on the top.. raw onion!! which was not even described was overbearing for my wife.. the pizza base was nice but the ingredients and execution very poor.. The size of the pizza for the money was again very poor. I questioned my bill and the Pizza in particular which we were not happy with. The staff were very accommodating and helpful.. I was asked what I was asking for?.. that being an adjustment on the bill, which they very kindly adjusted for me.. we did not pay for the pizza.. Would we come back again! yes probably to give them another chance as the ambiance looked very nice.. If you looking for an authentic pizza this is not the place.. If you are looking for an authentic village type venue this is the place.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Reviewer215
“Excellent Pub, Great Food and Very good Accommodation”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife who was in the area on business. She had know for some months that she would be staying in the Petersfield area, had seen The Cricketers on a website and form the photos knew that she fancied staying there. I was lucky enough to have a few days off work and decided to join her.

We were greeted by a delightful young lady behind the bar and were shown to our room by the opener who is very friendly and welcoming. The room size was excellent, very spacious with large shower room. In Room facilities were excellent including free wifi, tea and coffee, iron and board and flat screen tv.

We ate in the bar by the very cosy open fire. I had the excellent burger with triple cooked chips which were stunning. My wife had the fish and chips which was also excellent. We noticed that they also cook fresh, oven fired pizzas which if we were to return we would try.

Breakfast was the highlight, we were served with the best full English I've had in a guest house or hotel. The bacon, sausage, mushrooms and poached egg were cooked to perfection and were accompanied by on the vine cherry tomatoes, beans and surprisingly my favourite black pudding.

The cricketers is a delightful pub and guest house and both my wife and I would both return.

We chatted to the owner in the morning who stated that they would like to invest on the outside of building to make it more welcoming. Whilst this would be a worthwhile move to attract passers by, I can only hope that this delightful place gets it's just rewards for local customers.

Visited January 2014