“Becoming a favourite place to eat”

The White Horse Brasserie
Ranked #10 of 76 Restaurants in Romsey
Price range: US$8 - US$82
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set in the heart of Romsey, The White Horse Brasserie opens onto its own delightful courtyard. The acclaimed 2AA Rosette brasserie is a wonderful place to enjoy every occasion from a romantic dinner for two to a family lunch. Head Chef Chris Rock's accomplished menu serves modern British classics following the seasons.
United Kingdom
“Becoming a favourite place to eat”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Have now eaten here a few times, last time was on their Spanish night and Flamenco Dancer evening on Monday 18th May. This was a great night, authentic food, good entertainment and a great atmosphere.
Previously have eaten and tried their new USDA Grill menu (twice now) Mixed views being honest. Their fillet, have had both Aberdeen Angus and USDA fillet both good and could really tell the difference despite a £6supplement on the USDA one. Tried the ribeye, which at £45 is certainly not cheap. Very very disappointed as had no fillet on it, and was very fatty. Had to change it to a fillet and would not order again.
Staff are always polite and professional and friendly and even when I had to complain they dealt with it very well.
Despite this one issue, food is of a consistently high standard, presented very well and is def worth a visit.
No place or chef is perfect, but it's how you deal with issues, and they do deal with any issues very well.
Becoming one of my favourite places to eat.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank DarkandStormy17
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Brasserie, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear guest.

Thank you for your frank review.

My apologies the ribeye did meet the expected standard but I am pleased to read that the issue was dealt with professionally by my brasserie team.

The tapas evenings are a great success and will definitely be on the calendar of events next year.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes.

Romsey, United Kingdom
“Good food, poor service”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have recently been treated by hubby to a romantic dinner at the White Horse in Romsey, virtually on my doorstep. Pleasant food and lovely atmosphere sadly ruined by the waiter's performance. As soon as we were seated - mid week evening, plenty of space, so no problem - we went through the motions of choosing our drinks etc. and after a while trying to ask questions about the menu was becoming a bit tiresome as the waiter - nice hungarian chap ? - didn't quite understand our questions so we gave up in the end , trying to keep things simple and not to spoil the mood. Fat chance, since at every opportunity we were interrupted etc. At some point my husband asks this chap where was he originally from, out of politeness and not expecting to be immediately dished out a 10 min lecture about the beauty and greatness of Hungary ! Ok we got it, the chap was being exuberant and chatty , but the downside was that we had a meal that could have been a bit more classy / smooth given that food and wine included we spent over 100£. I guess the history / geography lessons were included in the price… Sadly we were served also some green beans with roasted pine nuts ( very tasty, I am sure) but not good for severe nut allergy which we mentioned to start with. Luckily we spotted the pine nuts in time and sent back the side order, but even so… I have a feeling it will be some time before I will try again this place, although the food was overall delicious and the decor very pleasant. Despite being a tad pricey , this brasserie used to be a good alternative to" La Parisienne" in Romsey ...But until the level of service is sorted, mmmhhhh… I will pass.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bessadina P
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Brasserie, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear guest.

Thank you for your review.

Our brasserie team are all very charming, courteous and professional and I find it difficult to believe they could be perceived in any other manner.

Whilst I must apologise on behalf of my team for the error made regarding the side order I take exception to your comments regarding their service.

uk
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The food and service were both fantastic, I would definitely return - topped of with a night in the Penthouse Suite

Visited April 2014
TheWhiteHorseHotel, General Manager at The White Horse Brasserie, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the hotel - especially the Penthouse!

“Traditional coach house.”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The choice of accommodation and dinning in Romsey is quite limited, being a smallish market town, its what you would expect.
The white horse is quite a find, the bar is well furnished, and well run.
The Tudor lounge is very traditional, big beams and a lovely wood burning fire, cosy and warm when we have this incessant cold wet weather.
Staff are above average, fairly efficient and helpful.
The building itself is wonderful, and you can imagine the old coaching stop that it was once, the huge archway and doors entering from the market place, immediately tell you, this was once a coaching hotel to Winchester and London.
Rooms are of good standard, and very clean, slightly noisey, outside more than internal, but overall very good.
Restaurant is modern, stylish and food of a very high standard.
Romsey itself still has that small market town feel, very quaint in parts, and the Abbey is a treasure, a wedding at the abbey, reception at the white horse is very popular.
All in all, a good hotel, and nice a nice traditional town.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed and complimentary review of The White Horse and Romsey.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Romsey, England, United Kingdom
“Great Steak”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Dined here yesterday with family to celebrate a significant milestone birthday. Chose the USDA fillet steak. Expensive but superb!

Visited February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

Whilst the USDA beef is slightly more expensive the quality is, as you mention superb!