“lovely visit”
Review of Broadlands

Broadlands
Ranked #9 of 18 things to do in Romsey
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1767, this stately and magnificent home of Lord Mountbatten contains an extensive portrait collection, elegant furnishings and china collections.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We nearly didnt go after looking at the previous reviews but we are glad we did. we were shown round by a lovely lady called Trea who as well as giving us lots of dates and historical information, which she did very well remembering, she also gave us little bits of social history which were all interesting. Broadlands is a mini stately house which is very much a home and we liked the fact that the dog bed was underneath some treasured bit of furniture and that the telly was in the library. All the staff we met were happy and friendly, we spent two hours in total and we enjoyed every minute of it.

5  Thank VivDP

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My partner and I visited in September just before they closed for the Winter, as a friend had been many years ago and raved about it.
I liked the idea of a guided tour, unfortunately the gentleman who took us round, though he clearly knew a great deal about the place, told us as much about himself as he did about the house and family. As a gay couple, we were not particularly happy about his homophobic digs at Noel Coward. What we saw of the house was very interesting but I was sorry that, as the guide said, her ladyship did not see fit to have a lift installed so that disabled people could see the upstairs, therefore nobody was allowed upstairs. Many reviewers have commented that the place is not visitor friendly and this is certainly the case. What is the minimum that they have to do to ensure that they get restoration grants, I wonder? It is worth a visit certainly and, I guess, £8 is a reasonable price but I would recommend a trip into Romsey as well, as the town is well worth a visit, especially King John's house.

13  Thank Freelance60
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Having wanted to visit Broadlands for many years and never quite being near at an opening time I finally made it on 12 August - and what a disappointment! Our lady guide was pleasant enough but totally bland, reading from notes and not having a 'feel' for the job at all. Any questions asked of her were deflected - she clearly did not have a good knowledge nor an understanding of her subject. Very disappointing content and delivery. Beautiful views down to the River Test but otherwise the gardens and grounds were very average. I left with the feeling that I was only there under sufferance - and to help with tax relief.

7  Thank una m
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This house is the home of Lady Romsey & the former home of Lord Mountbatten. It has the feeling of a real home & there is much of interest & beauty to see. Our voluntary guide was so enthusiastic & informative.
It is disappointing that there is no cafe & the house is only open for a limited time, during limited times of the year as it must fit into Lady Romsey's daily schedule. There is more to see, but it is not all open to the public. We could see more during the time of Lord Mountbatten.

7  Thank Janet S
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Did I not read tripavisor reviews before going there? Well basically it has all been said. However I will try and add to it all. My wife had long since told me what an interesting place this was as she had visited 25 years ago. Given we live 30 mins away thought it would be a good idea to see it. Now, this is where the fun starts, Yes portaloos in car park and long walk to the house, vibe wasn't good! Paid £8 each to be told we were on guided tour. There were six of us in our little party plus the guide (female). Well the guide, was totally clueless, I cannot stress enough how boring she was, all rather sad, i guess she did her best but what on earth possessed this lady to think she could be a tour guide beats me. I learned afterwards that all the staff are volunteers, which brings me to my next point, what

14  Thank ebbcourt