“What a disappointment!”

The Cromwell Arms
Ranked #24 of 79 Restaurants in Romsey
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A truly special place to drink, dine and stay at the edge of the picturesque market town of Romsey. The Cromwell Arms boasts locally-sourced specialties, a host of perfectly-stored ales and wines, and a fabulous marquee. It’s the perfect place to rest a while on the South Coast.
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I made a habit of walking down to the Cromwell Arms on a Sunday evening and having supper. We haven't been able to go in over a year so were looking forward to it this evening. Having walked over 2 miles we were ready for our supper. We decided to sit outside, the gardens are very pretty. We were quite disappointed at the limited Sunday evening menu compared to what we were used to. In the end my husband chose the grilled sardines followed by honey ham, eggs & chips and I went for the soup of the day followed by a caesar salad. When the starters arrived we were both overwhelmed by the very fishy smell of the sardines, my husband had one bite and couldn't eat it, the flesh was really mushy. My soup tasted suspiciously like watered down Heinz tomato soup, no attempt had been made to jazz it up with a few chopped herbs or a swirl of cream, it was served with 2 small slices of French stick (cut some time earlier judging by how dry it was) and although I was given a butter knife, there was no butter. When this was cleared the staff noted that my husband had left his sardines so they told us it would be taken off the bill although they assured us that it had been fresh in the day before (on a Saturday?!) my husband managed about half of his ham, egg and chips, the ham was dry, the eggs swimming in oil and the chips appeared to be oven cooked. My caesar salad should have been renamed crouton salad with a few strips of leaves in too much dressing, I left over half of this. We were asked if we had enjoyed our meal so, very politely, we told them that we were disappointed - they had our loyalty card so could see that we had been regular customers. No comment was made to our remarks. Sadly I doubt we will be rushing back, such a shame as it is a pretty setting and clearly they have spent a lot of money adding rooms etc. It has 4* from AA but it seems to me that they should maybe have a spot inspection. One last word, on our way out we stuck our heads in the restaurant - it was utterly empty, not another customer in sight - oh dear.. perhaps others are disappointed too?

1  Thank HampshireSally
There are newer reviews for The Cromwell Arms

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stopped here for a bite to eat after playing golf locally.
Quite a large restaurant/pub with plenty of choice of tables to eat either inside or out.
We only wanted a main course and the menu offered sufficient options. I had the peppered pork fillet and my golfing partner the salted cod. Both were delicious. These were accompanied with a good local draft ale. A jug of water was offered with no need to ask.
The staff were very pleasant and attentive and chatty without being overbearing
Chances are we will return

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Interesting but simple menu. The food was delicious and service excellent. Good wine menu and beers.
A lovely atmosphere inside and on the terrace garden.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here for our wedding night as our wedding was held in the Pavillion which is in the grounds of the Cromwell Arms. Overall the whole experience was perfect, the room was a very high standard, modernly furnished and the bathroom was very luxurious. The bed was huge and very comfortable. All you could need for a few nights stay. It would also be very good for anyone who had difficultly getting up stairs as the rooms are all on the ground floor!

Breakfast in the morning was in the lovely conservatory part of the restaurant, very relaxed and service was fantastic, a full english breakfast, very tasty and plenty of it too!

Can't fault the Cromwell Arms!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Had a great family meal, the children devoured all their food and the adult meals were good sized portions and tasty. The dessert menu was fairly limited but luckily had sticky toffee pub. Very nice.