“Liked it so much I bought a Season Ticket”

Sir Harold Hillier Gardens
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Romsey
Romsey, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Liked it so much I bought a Season Ticket”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I live locally and having downsized we miss our garden. Now on our doorstep is the most amazing garden we have ever had, and there is no hard work involved ! It is rather expensive to get in, although children are free, so we decided that we should buy a season ticket (very reasonable £49 for a couple), and in just 2 months we have visited most weekends. It is a wonderful place and ever changing. I just wish it was open a little later in the evenings as I would love to stroll the gardens after work during the week.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Redsonly

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Ensure you have plenty of time to take in all there is to see”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We spent just a few hours here with friends on a Saturday late morning mid April. Ensure you have warm or weatherproof clothing - we were OK, but this can be a bit windswept, and you don;t want to be caught out! Pricing not too bad (9.20 for adults) but this should really allow two visits, as early Spring there was a lot of greenery to be seen, but not a sea of colour - it would be good to come back again early summer and see the difference.
Car parking was plentiful, though would have liked security of CCTV on the overflow carpark - and possibly a note that we could drop people off at the main entrance, to minimise the additional distance from carpark to entrance! We didn't eat here - had heard from the fiends we were with that meals weren't to write home about - but restaurant was busy, and bit 'functional', a bit like a school refectory. Friendly staff on the front desks. Maybe some more obvious picnic areas or seating could be dotted around - or maybe I just didn't notice them. Signage generally good - invariably it was the items we were interested in that seemed to be missing a label... Good electric buggies for those unable to walk easily, and it appears that most areas could be accessed quite easily.
Lots of interesting 'hidden' areas in the grounds - you could easily spend an entire pleasant day here. One to return to during a different season.

Visited April 2014
Romsey, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Excellent facilities and layout”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Used by locals as a place to meet for lunch the Gardens are well laid out with good signposting and nature trails.
A good day out for all the family.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
168 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“MAGNIFICIENT MAGNOLIAS”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I came to visit the garden on Sunday 23 March. We were informed the the lady who sold us our tickets and this was the best day for seeing the Magnolias, as there was going to be a heavy frost, which would turn them brown and there season would then be over.

We walked down the Magnolia Avenue and the blossems were truely beautiful even in the rain and hail. there was an Oriental essence about them. There were lots of other early spring flowers out and the early rhodendrons were vibrant. There were daffadils in perfusion.

There are more than 42.000 plants within this garden, which provides colour all the year. There are ornamental pools, a rock garden and wonderful woodlands walks.

Jermyns Cafe situated in the Original house, does a wonderful hot chocolate, especially good when you have just been caught in a rain / hail shower. The gardens smelt so fresh and scented after the rain.

There is a nice gift shop offering interesting items for sale and a small restaurant, which I cannot comment on, as we just had lovely hot chocolates with marshmallows.

I had a 2 for 1 Gardeners World ticket, so we only paid £9.00 for us both. I think it would have been a bit too expensive if we had to pay the full price of £ 18.00.

London
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“A wonderful garden in which to discover new trees”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I came here with friends who are "members" and so did not have to pay - so I cannot comment on views as to the price. We first had lunch in the surprisingly excellent café - I can recommend the lasagne. Afterwards we strolled round the gardens. To begin with, it seems like a pleasant enough park, but nothing special. Then you start to realise that you've just seen yet another tree which you have never seen before. The paths through the gardens wander around in a very well designed way, and even in winter it was clear that the gardens are looked after very well indeed. My friends commented that they come here frequently, because there is always something interesting to see and photograph. This place is well worth a visit - at any time of the year, I'm sure.

1 Thank Graham H