“Didn't want our booking”

The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Romsey
England
“Didn't want our booking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Having seen a great advertisement for the brasserie my family tried to book here for Easter Sunday. I phoned a couple of weeks beforehand on a Saturday afternoon. I was told that there was no one available to take a restaurant booking until the following Tuesday! They took my details and a phone number and I was told . someone would ring me. Tuesday arrived and went and no phone call. In the event I booked elsewhere. What a strange way to run a restaurant!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ProfSnap
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your review.

Let me assure you it was not for the fact we did not want your booking that you did not receive immediate response but purely for the fact that we want to ensure all our guests receive the best possible service on seasonally busy occasions.

Your enquiry was held on a wait list until the events team were able to allocate the numerous bookings taken over the weekend

I can assure you that you will have or would have had a response within a 24 hour period on their return to the hotel.

Best wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I took my mother here for a special treat from booking on the phone I was given a choice of where to take tea & the lady whom I spoke with was most helpful & recommended the Basserie. Upon arrival a friendly greeting & we were personally shown to our table, the Basserie has a lovely contemporary feel whilst still retaining some old world charm. The waiting staff were very attentive & we opted for afternoon tea for two £30, finger sandwiches (cheese, ham, smoked salmon) , a selection of cakes and four huge scones all beautifully presented, there was also a great range of teas to choose from and additional hot water for a top up! It all tasted very good & it was evident it was freshly prepared & home made! I thoroughly recommend this hotel for afternoon tea, we previously had tea at Rhinefield House & this was a huge disappointment I can honestly say this place knocks spots off & Rhinefield House could learn a lot from them instead of living off their name! We shall be back to try the lunch menu , note if you cannot manage all of your tea they prepare a doggy bag for you to enjoy at home & this is stated by the staff at the beginning of your tea so no feeling a bit awkward asking at the end!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for your detailed and very complimentary review.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Andover, Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

So today was my second visit this week to the WH Hotel in Romsey.

I was working in the area and just needed tea today, but in the past I have been treated, to one of their world famous Afternoon Teas ~ I say world famous because the White Horse hotel has guests from all over the world who come here after they have been to Broadlands.!

Forget luxury, forget fantastic tasting cakes ~ you will not have tasted anything, anywhere in London, like the hand made, on site, different flavoured breads, light and airy scones, delightful afternoon miniature cakes, rich mouth watering hand made biscuits, and buffet finger sandwiches all beautifully garnished, and served with the utmost professionalism, by staff that are proud to work, and be part of the White Horse Hotel.

There are too many little touches, that I could mention, but one springs readily to mind, given that the hotel is in the middle of an upgrade, in their courtyard.

Now this work is being completed in full view of all the restaurant guests.. Well it would be .. If it were not for the very clever boarding, that has gone up around the work ..All hand painted by an artist,to look like outside rooms, complete with windows and doors.

Its the little attention to details like this, that makes the W.H. hotel in Romsey, the destination of choice for discerning diners coming too, or travelling through Romsey.

Nowadays everyone dines out and it no longer seems an indulgence or even something special to go out for a meal.

But this hotel will remind you of a bygone age when going for a meal out,
in a ‘ hotel ‘ was considered to be something special!

So if you want to be served as if you were a Lord and Lady, with prices that reflect the fabulously cooked to order fine cuisine, you will be hard pushed to find any where local in Hampshire to beat the White Horse Hotel in Romsey.

Room Tip: At this moment in time I have yet to stay there so cannot offer advice ..
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
What can I say!

As always Manuela a very complimentary review.

Keep up the campaigning and count on us for support.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes as always.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I came with my elderly mother and aunt and I had arranged for two bouquets of flowers (Florist recommended by the hotel) to be delivered after our arrival however it was possible that they would come beforehand.. which they did.
I love the venue that is why I chose it and I will be attending a wedding there come June, we were shown to a very small table with another table inbetween two of the chairs. It was difficult for my two guests to negotiate themselves into the space I think they were slightly confused by the two bouquets left on their chairs - I was kind of hoping someone would have brought them out after our arrival. The afternoon tea was delightful but difficult to appreciate and access as yet another table had to be brought out to accommodate it all which ruined the effect for me. One of the lovely china cups was cracked. My mother and aunt had to serve themselves and me tea as I could not reach it which was a little worrying given their age and arthritis.
Overall a lovely tea but could have been much more enjoyable than it was, I would suggest a few more sandwiches and perhaps not so many lovely cakes which we couldn't manage. The hotel were perfectly willing to give us the leftovers to take home.

Room Tip: location wise I am of course referring to our table(s)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for your review.

I am sure you will appreciate that Mothers Day weekend is exceptionally busy for us and we had numerous bouquets delivered to the hotel so we felt the only way to ensure that each bouquet was in the right place at the right time was to place them accordingly and not present - I do hope you will appreciate this.

So not to disappoint the numerous bookings we received each table was neatly placed but still with an adequate amount of manoeuvrability I am sorry that you did not feel that we had accommodated your needs.

We look forward to seeing you again in June if not before?

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was recommended this hotel by a friend so i booked a treat for my mum for mothers day of Afternoon tea. We had a lovely time! The hotel is spacious yet cosy! The decor and surrounds are premium. The service was perfect, always someone available if we needed yet they never bothered us. The quality of food was excellent. We even asked for a doggy bag, which we were given, and with a smile! We are going to be staying in december for a wedding and are really looking forward top it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea and we look forward to seeing you again soon - hopefully before December!!!

Best wishes
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We have stayed in just about all of the quality hotels in the Romsey/Southampton/New Forest area and the 'White Horse' has no peers ...it is simply the best! We stayed in the penthouse suite for the weekend, which was amazing value for money, considering the luxury and ambience offered. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve L
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for such a very complimentary review!

HUNGARY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed one night for business purposes. This was my second stay at the hotel. In summary:

Positives
1) Provided an excellent room only rate.
2) Room was spacious and very clean. Bathroom was also very spacious and clean.
3) Room had all the basic facilities (tea etc) & a very comfortable bed.
4) Service. I left my watch in the room and they kept it for collection (by a colleague) later in the week. This reflects very positively on the staff.

Negatives
1) Minor one. They were experiencing system issues when I checked in, which meant I stood around for 10minutes to get my room key. They were polite & apologetic, so really a material issue.
2) Room was cold when entering. In only took 30minutes to warm it up however.

Overall, I think it offers excellent value and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest

Thank you for your succinct and refreshing review.

We look forward to your return visits.

Best wishes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Romsey
Mortimer Arms Hotel
Premier Inn Southampton West Hotel
Bartley Lodge Hotel
Bartley Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cadnam

Been to The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie? Share your experiences!