“Love the place, love the food!”

The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Romsey
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Love the place, love the food!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A nice surprise it was. Friendly waitress, good menu esp. the sharing ones. It would be even better if they have all those nice wine as decor in their wine menu too. We will definitely go back again.
I can imagine it being too crowded as the tables seem to be very close together.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Lovely accommodation, and good location. The main reason I am writing this review to to highlight the dinner that was provided as part of a Friday 'offer'. The dinner was a fine example of what to serve up to a mouse on a strict rationing diet!! My partner and I could not believe the quantity of food served up, so much so it was a running joke, after each course the portion size was as measly as the last!! Bearing in mind the tariff for one nights stay was £150!!! I would expect a better portion standard. After the meal we headed steadily off to the nearest Coop for a proper dinner!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank freya1137
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here at the end of May in the penthouse suite and were delighted with our visit. The suite itself is spacious and very well appointed - a truly enormous, soft bed, three leather armchairs, a chaise longue plus writing desk and TV in the main room along with a huge bathroom comprising bath, double shower, toilet, bidet, basin, chair and mobile vanity unit, plus complimentary robes - and, being at the top of the building, peaceful too.

The bar is a quiet and relaxed space and serves two lagers and, at the time of our visit, a guest ale although I suspect two are usually on offer. If I was being critical I would say that the lager wasn't the best I have ever tasted - perhaps lacking in gas as the Peroni I tried tasted what I can only describe as 'fatty' - and the ale didn't do anything for me at all but I appreciate that that is down to personal taste. The staff - who work between the bar and the restaurant - are pleasant and engaging, something which can be applied to all employees at the White Horse.

The restaurant is a fine venue, well laid out and as well appointed as any other area within the hotel and it is a nice touch that the kitchen has a large viewing window enabling you to watch what is going on - my wife was most impressed with the calmness exhibited by the chefs even at the busiest of times. The wine list is good with a decent enough range of options for both red and white wines in terms of price and grape variety with vintages mainly around 2012 although there are some older available. The menu itself is decent with some interesting dishes although I would have liked a few more options for a main course as I found that there were several appealing items for a starter but not as many for the main.

The newly-arrived USDA beef is a treat - we had a tomahawk steak on the first night which was delicious and allowed one to engage one's finest Fred Flintstone impression with the leftover rib bone - and should be tried without fail; similarly the Aberdeen Angus which my wife ate on the second night was also delicious. Similarly, the pork chop I enjoyed was perfectly cooked and the accompaniments - honey roasted carrots, fine beans with pine nuts, Diane and peppercorn sauces, things which can fall under the shadow of the main course itself - helped embellish our meals.

I think the only real criticism I could offer - in that anything that I have noted above is an opinion rather than stating 'this is bad, and must be changed' is that because there is no car park attached to the building you have to use a public car park a few hundred yards away. This is fine - it's free after four o'clock and all day on Sunday - but it does mean that on a morning when charges are levied you do have to get up early and make a dash for the ticket machine lest you run the risk of a penalty notice.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay so much we are making plans to visit again later this year and would definitely recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teuwsen
Melbourne
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We returned the The White Horse as we had been there 10 years ago. It is a lovely hotel, very clean, quiet and the interconnecting rooms work well. Cot was provided on request. We were a bit disappointed as we had a couple of small issues - TV had a fault, on 1 channel it would cause it to turn off and not come back on again. Phone in our room never worked. Wi-fi in our rooms was non existent - signal was present but not enough to connect. Management fixed the TV and explained the fault. We could only get internet access outside. Due to all these issues occurring on our first night, the manager was extremely apologetic and had a bottle of wine sent up to our room.

Rooms were very comfortable but hot - we slept with the window open. This was in April.

Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The white horse is a very special place- the staff are fantastic, very attentive and friendly. The food is fabulous and is consistently amazing.
I would recommend the afternoon tea- it is the best in the area.
Rooms are lovely and the events are very organised and enjoyable.
The hotel is so special to us (plus we have been coming for years) we had our wedding at the hotel on the 25th April. The staff went above and beyond to make our day even more special and nothing was too much trouble. We had some fussy eaters- even this wasn't a problem.
We would personally like to thank all the staff, especially to Sarah and Alison.
It really is a truly magical place. 10 out of 10 from us.
Thank you for always being amazing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma E
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your lovely review!

Hope you had an amazing honeymoon!

We look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Palermo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed at the White Horse Hotel just for one night, after a stag's do of a friend. The room was nice and quiet, the bed comfy and warm, the bathroom was clean, with only a minor flaw: the water drain in the washbasin was a bit slow. Otherwise, everything was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ismaele86
Dear guest

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Stourbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My best freinds wedding 9th May 2014. Even before we arrived the staff were helpful. We needed our room exceptionally early and all stops were pulled to accommodate us.
From the moment of arrival every member of staff were 1st class professionals. My freind had every last detail possible covered for her big day as I've known with other brides this doesn't always go to plan if hotel staff aren't efficient but the staff at The White Horse gave 100%.
The room used for the service is across a small court yard so no other guests can interrupt any part of the day. It was soon turned into a spectacular room for the wedding breakfast.
The food......well all I can say is wow. I'm a foody and can usually find a criticism but I couldn't fault anything. Cooked to perfection, full of flavour and just looked fantastic. Yet again this was all delivered to the 40 guests in moments with you hardly noticing the waiting staff who also found time to keep your glasses topped up.
Tea and coffee served in the courtyard whilst the photos were being taken and lucky for us they weather stayed dry and warm. The room prepared for the evening yet again the staff manage all this with so little fuss you don't realise they're there.
The whole day was perfect, I was so pleased as for my freind deserved nothing less.
I can't recommend the hotel highly enough, quality.

Alicia Billingham

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for your very complimentary review.

I am delighted that your friends wedding day was such a success.

My team work very hard to ensure that every one of our guests enjoys there time with us.

Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Romsey
Mortimer Arms Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Southampton

Been to The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie? Share your experiences!