“ALLO ALLO” 5 of 5 bubbles

Plaza Theatre
Ranked #10 of 20 things to do in Romsey
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Romsey Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society (RAODS) owns and operates The Plaza Theatre. Located between Southampton, Salisbury and Winchester, the Plaza Theatre is perfectly situated to serve the southern Test Valley's entertainment and arts needs. An art deco venue with bucketfulls of character, the Plaza offers Pantomime, Musicals, Operetta, Drama, Dance, Youth productions and Live Music.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“ALLO ALLO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

This was my first visit to the Romsey Plaza. I had high expectations from what I had heard about this old theatre and was not disappointed. We had a drink in the cosy upstairs bar which was crowded but you could take your drinks into the auditorium in a plastic glass if you wanted. Some of the actors wandered through before the show adding a sense of fun. There is also a large bar and cafe downstairs. Everything was very professional. The ticket prices were good value at £10 and the show was very funny. I would definately go again. We had a lovely evening.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank breeze60

Southampton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A jewel in the Crown of Romsey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

As a past member of RAODS I had experience of the wonderful old building when I volunteered as a Techy. This night my wife surprised me with tickets to see Allo Allo the TV series of which is a favorite of mine. The small but welcoming bar provided pre show refreshments and we wandered off a few minutes before the show to our seats. We booked late so our seats were in an area where the rake of the seats is a bit flat so at times it was difficult to see but the cast did not disappoint and put on a fabulously funny and at times quite saucy performance. The only down point was that a lady sat behind us was so loud and laughed and giggled so over enthusiastically that it detracted from our enjoyment but that's not the fault of RAODS. I love the enthusiasm that all that belong to RAODS exude and the show had us crying with laughter. Well done all.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Markerbouy
Southampton, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“simple maths really”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Every year i used to go to Southampton Mayflower Theatre to watch a pantomime with my kids, this year we decided to to go to our local theatre to watch theirs. Well all i can say is £140 for 4 seats at Southampton against £32 for a family ticket at the Plaza. So OK Mayflowers production levels are far higher, but we all thoroughly enjoyed the Plaza and will be coming back again, they even sung happy Birthday to my son who was 6 on that day. Even the ice creams and sweets were far cheaper than the expensive Mayflower

Visited January 2013
4 Thank peter023
Romsey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ladies Down Under at The Plaza Theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Went to see a wonderful production of "Ladies Down Under" by Amanda Whittington. A very good show in a wonderful theatre. Take my advice, go and see a show there, They are a very professional company even though they are amateurs. Ticket prices won't break your bank balance either.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank Bob H
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“What a gem !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

This theatre is owned and run by a local amateur dramatic society, but you would never guess from the professionalism of both the way the theatre is run and the quality of the productions. We were greeted upon arrival and had the background to the play explained to us. A visit to the bar followed prior to the start of the performance. Seating was reasonably spaced and the theatre combined cleanliness with old world charm - there were even ice-creams for sale in the interval ! Cannot believe how many shows these people manage to put on in a year without compromising on quality - well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Visited March 2013