“What a find - Lovely food, excellent service”
Review of The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree
Ranked #7 of 78 Restaurants in Romsey
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a find - Lovely food, excellent service”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Been to Romsey a few times and wanted to try somewhere different for lunch. What a lovely place this is, looks small from the outside but is actually big and spacious with nice seating areas here and there in the main bar area and then through to the dining area and beyond this to the large outdoor garden area. The decor, layout, furnishings etc. make for a really welcoming atmosphere. You can also come in here just for coffee or a drink. Ordered a couple of drinks at the bar, was good to be served a really chilled glass of white wine! The lady behind the bar was efficient but not very friendly. Happy to say the young man and young girl who were waiting tables that day were absolutely brilliant, really attentive and friendly. It was Bank Holiday Monday around 1.30ish, weather was nice and lots of people were in the garden, couples, groups of friends and families with young childresn, they seem to cater for all. They were kept really busy but still managed to give a very efficient service. Great menu, thought it was priced fairly. My husband had the flaked crab and harrissa mayo starter, it was gorgeous, he was very happy. After checking that the burgers were homemade I orderd one as I had been bitterly disappointed with a burger at a different restaurant a couple of days before and really wanted to have one. I wasn't disappointed, it was everything a good burger should be, the chips were lovely too. Only criticism would be the slate that it is served on is too narrow so it is difficult to keep all the food on it once you start eating but apart form this I have no complaints. My husband had the steak, which was cooked perfectly. Will definitely be visiting again, really happy to have found this gem

1 Thank Carole T

London, United Kingdom
“What a great pub & place to eat!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stopped in Romsey for dinner, never having visited the town before and we struck gold in finding The Olive Tree! Had three 2 year olds in tow and the staff could not have been more accommodating! A great looking pub, tried the local ale - wonderful and the food was great value for money. I would actually move to the area to have it as my local, that's how good I rate this place. If, like us you are visiting the area (peppa pig world in our case) I fully recommend this for a dinner stop!

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Awesome place for relaxed dining!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Been here a couple of times & thoroughly enjoyed the food & service. Made a booking for Easter Saturday for mums 75th birthday for over 10 people (expecting delays in service etc for a Bank Holiday .. How wrong we could be!). Service was excellent, very relaxed & no rush to order food, waitress & waiter who served us food & drinks over course of afternoon both really pleasant & made us feel very welcome. Food of superb standard & enough to satisfy all people (not one of us had a bad thing to say about food). Yes, its a bit pricy, but for service & atmosphere I'd willingly pay the price & already going to make a return visit. Everyone of us had an excellent time and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon. The Olive Tree you made our Easter!

southampton
“Trust me, it's good!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were recommended to try this establishment and we were not disappointed!
Friendly service, an imaginative menu with a twist on the old favourites.
Hooray! Linen napkins! Candlelit tables and excellent, reasonably priced tasty food.
Yes, it was busy when we visited but it was Easter Saturday and, surely, that is a good sign. Besides, food was served all day so we came back later when a table was free.
For a starter I had the Dorset crab which was well-presented and 'proper' crab - too many times I have been caught out and served tinned/frozen meat but not here! My partner had the carrot and cummin soup, both served with nice bread and French butter.
To follow, we shared 1kg of Mussels in a white wine, garlic and cream sauce presented in a copper bottomed pot on hot slate with delicious bread -so good to get decent bread - and served in the correct manner with finger bowl and dish for the shells. Included was a carafe of house wine. At £15 for two, a bargain but not compromised on the quality. In fact, it was possibly the best example of this dish I have ever had!
Full up, we both opted for a coffee which came with a shot glass of mini chocolate Easter Eggs. What a seasonal delight! Our bill was so reasonable and the experience so enjoyable we shall definitely be visiting again

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We came here for a Sunday lunch for my birthday and we had a lovely afternoon. Friendly service and an interesting menu. All the food was very good and imaginatively presented. My friends favourites were the Sunday Roast and the Treacle Sponge dessert.

I have been here a few times and it never disappoints.