“service has got slack”

Ranked #18 of 79 Restaurants in Romsey
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

what has happened to the staff its like a bunch of kids are running it now be for at least you could have a joke with both the bar men now you have to just wait for a drink with no banter no smile nothing sort it out dog and crook

1  Thank john j

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Having visited the Dog & Crook on several previous occasions, my wife thought that this would be ideal for her parents diamond wedding venue. Although there were about seventeen of us, we were all given the opportunity to choose whatever we wanted from the vast menu. All the food came out together and it was all hot and freshly prepared. The room was nicely decorated for us by the staff with balloons and posters which we had supplied. The only criticism was the fact that because the long table that we were all on ran down the middle of the room, we were in the way of other diners who were also eating in that room, causing one table to make sarcastic comments every now and then when we had to push past them.

1  Thank Bob A
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Revisited after a couple of years. Great size portions, well cooked and presented, what else do you need.
Local beer tried was Romsey Gold, ideal on a warm day.
Food selected was whitebait, nachos as starters and steak and scampi, home made burger and ham egg chips as mains.
Welcoming and friendly staff.
Special note the place felt clean tidy and cared for.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a very nice Pub, with a nice eating area and an excellent choice of food........ not forgetting the beer. I was torn between the crumble and the sticky toffee pudding, the sticky toffee pudding was the winner this time, but only just.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I paid a visit to this pub on 10/5/14. I was a refugee from a local Music Festival and needed some proper food as opposed to the nice tasty but tiny portions on offer at the festival. This pub is in a beautiful rural location and looks really great from outside. The bar staff were polite and pleasant but when I asked to see the Menu I was told they were not doing food until 5.30. I pointed out the large board outside clearly stating 'FOOD SERVED ALL DAY' the barman said 'oh, I'll have to ask'. He returned with a bar menu and I chose a Bacon & Brie Baguette, which I thought a little overpriced at £6.50. A placemat was placed on my table...not very tidily. The placemat showed a picture of 'Old Chequers at Friston near Saxmundham Suffolk. If you were going to use a placemat of this type why would you not feature your own pub? especially as it was so picturesque, Sadly things got worse...I waited nearly half an hour for my Baguette and when it did eventually arrive, delivered with cheery 'There you go Love' it was close to cold. The bacon had lines on it as if it had been cooked on a griddle. I doubt this very much. Nothing more than a cheap trick. To be fair , the Landlady did come back to check if my meal was ok. I said yes it was 'ok' . Because my time was limited and I had already waited way too long I chose not to complain and send it back. I was so disappointed because this pub looks so inviting and has such great potential. It's very sad to see that potential not being utilised to its full extent. Overall impression? LAZY.

3  Thank hythehoney