“Exceeded expectations!”

Single Step Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 1 Tours in Romsey
More attraction details
Owner description: Single Step Tours specialises in organising customised trips to a range of historical and cultural sites.
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I was looking forward to this Tour, of the Somme area, for many months, Peter exceeded my expectations in every area!! Great service provided with intimate knowledge and anecdotal details which enhanced the experience. Peter’s passion for this era is contagious, his style creates a comfort level and ease making it seem like your favorite Uncle conducting the Tour. On to Ypres and Verdun!!!

There are newer reviews for Single Step Tours - Day Tours

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have just returned from a two day visit to Ypres Salient cemeteries of fallen servicemen involved in the1914/18 war and organised by Single Step Tours. Peter Jones is your guide and his business specialises in battlefield tours for both WW1 and WW2 plus UK tours to places of interest.

Peter is interested in people's relatives and I was anxious to find where my grandfather was represented as he was a Sapper in the 129th Royal Engineers and was killed in 1916. We found his commemorative stone in the Ypres Reservoir Cemetery and I was able to pay my respects, a moment I will always treasure.

Peter took us to most of the famous cemeteries representing both the Allies and the German casualties. I found the experience fascinating and Peter's extensive knowledge helped me to understand and appreciate the sheer scale of the War.

I can thoroughly recommend this company and would not hesitate to recommend a similar experience as mine to anyone.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am planning on bringing a group to Northern France for the 100th anniversary of the US entry into WW1. The best thing I did in planning this was to find Peter. His knowledge of the area and the history of the battles will aid in my planning easier because of the tour provided by Peter. I traveled with my wife and my son and Peter kept them fully engaged during our time together. We enjoyed our travel time as well as some social time with Peter. I will use him again, I recommend you do as well!!

1  Thank Dennis O
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Since information and photos about my dad's father who was killed in WW1 on 29th March, 1918 aged 31 years, somehow came into my possession, I have had a desire to find out more and eventually to visit the site of my Grandfather's resting place in a War Cemetery in France. My dad was 2 years old when his father was killed then when he was 10 his mother migrated with him and his younger sister (who was born a few months after their father's death) to Australia and so their new life began. I had the Commonwealth War Graves Commission directory with all the names of the servicemen and where they were buried so knew where my Grandfather was but had no idea how to get there. My dad passed away September 2012 aged 96.

I contacted Single Step Tours via a Google search earlier this year so then commenced emails back and forth over the next few months with a 2 day tour of the WW1 Battlefields being organised with an added day side trip to Paris. 3rd October saw my husband, eldest daughter, youngest son and myself being picked up from our accommodation in London. And so my dream had started to become a reality.

Peter arranged and thought of everything, the thing that impressed me most was the fact that Peter organised the visit to my Grandfather's grave as a priority and after driving for a while visiting special spots on the way, we arrived at Villers Station Cemetery. Finally there I was standing in front of my Grandfather's grave, an emotional moment. Peter had organised a Poppy Wreath and as I laid this along with an Aussie and a British flag it was a very special time. Peter was very sensitive to our emotions.

Over the 2 days in the battlefields Peter showed us many cemeteries and memorials, his knowledge of the time, the area and the stories he told made it all come alive in our minds. It is so hard to believe that this beautiful countryside was once an area of such horror and destruction. All in all it was a very humbling experience and one that I am so glad I was finally able to do.

Our day trip to Paris was exciting, fun, informative and oh so exhausting but Peter was aware that I couldn't walk long distances and had to keep finding somewhere and having a sit for 5 minutes. Once again the stories he told, this time from WW2 were interesting as he pointed out different spots around the city that saw gun fights etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Peter and Single Step Tours to anybody who wanted to embark on a journey to the battlefields especially if they were a family unit wanting to do a private tour that had been especially arranged for their interests. Thank you Peter for a wonderful 3 days, you helped my dream come true and my only regret is that my dad is no longer here so I could share my experience with him.

1  Thank Evelyn D
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My Mum wanted to find where her grandfather was buried as he was killed in action in WW1, but we had no idea how to go about finding our way to the war cemetery in Arras, France. Peter's extensive knowledge of the battlefields around Arras and the battle of the Somme made the trip come alive. He was always thinking of how to make my Mum and brother comfortable as they could not walk long distances. Anyone thinking of going to see some of the battlefields in France I highly recommend you book with Single Step Tours.

1  Thank Selina D