“Sunday lunch”

The Dukes Head Romsey
Ranked #14 of 79 Restaurants in Romsey
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nestled in a quaint area just outside of Romsey, a Hampshire market town, The Dukes Head invites customers to enjoy get-togethers in rustic surroundings. This cottage-style pub boasts a range of English favourites including roast dinners, steaks, and grilled fish paired with chips, seasonal vegetables or garlic bread. Dining can be enjoyed in the pub's cosy interiors or al-fresco in the adjacent garden.
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Took family for lunch last Sunday,excellent food with a fairly wide choice on menu not the often usual' Sunday Roast' only menu.
Had griiled sardines with new pots and salad-fantastic,my wife had an excellent roast whilst 86 year old father-in-law had his favourite ham egg and chips.
Beer excellent (Doombar and Ringwood best) only downside they are no longer serving Flacks and the choice of draught ciders was poor being limited to one
Will definitely visit again and it is worth noting that Monday to Friday lunchtime they do a limited menu for a fiver provided you buy any drink

2  Thank les f
shaun g, Owner at The Dukes Head Romsey, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Many thanks

Reviewed 28 January 2014

As a contractor I am well aware of food & hospitality standards nationwide. My occupation forces me to eat out 4 nights a week, every week of the year. Believe me, I know a good eating place when I find one. The Dukes Head is one of them finds.
Staff are spot on, beer is exactly what it is supposed to be, the food is just awesome & at a fair price. Just to top it all off you have the log stove setting the scene for a great end to a hard working day. Just perfect.

2  Thank Hungwel

Many thanks

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We first came to this pub 18 months ago. The missus chose the fish soup, which she said was authentic French style. I had faggots and gravy. The gravy alone blew me away. From that point on we visited the pub every couple of months. Everything on the menu was fresh, homemade and cheap.

So, unaware of the management change (discussed in previous comments) we went for supper tonight.

Let start by saying that the service was good. We got a nice smile from the manageress behind the bar when we entered. We immediately felt welcome. Next up, the ale was wonderful, clear as a bell. This pub knows how to look after beer.

Unfortunately that's about as good as it gets.

First up we had soup, and shared a chopped up ciabatta with olive oil and olives. The bread was stale but warm, the olives were delicious. The soup was very average, chicken and potato, was quite thick and lacked flavour, and was served with oldish (but not stale) sliced brown bread.
For main course we ordered chips and gravy (remember the gravy?) and I ordered whitebait.

The gravy was from a packet, as were the chips and the whitebait. What a disappointment. I actually recognise the brand of whitebait from Costco. £9.75 for a handful of costco whitebait and some chips and garnish.

The whole menu is from the early nineties. Everything apart from the steaks is Freezer-to-fryer, but at chef-prepared prices. Even the "Specials" menu is from Costco freezer dept such as duck gyozo, salt-and-pepper squid etc etc. Very disappointing. Very lazy.

We won't be going back.

2  Thank Yellowtractor
shaun g, Owner at The Dukes Head Romsey, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Firstly I am pleased you have left a review here on tripadvisor all be it a bad one, as it gives me a chance to reply to you, as you left a completed comment card on the table on the night but did not fill in your name, address or email to be contacted.
I would like to say the gravy was made fresh that evening using fresh beef stock made from the forerib of beef bones that was prepared for the shoot party dinner in the main restaurant. All were very happy with their meals & booked in for the following Friday!!
Yes there are some freezer to fryer foods on the menu including WHITEBAIT , the reason for this is that the menu is quite large & only one chef to do everything, however there are also lots of fresh dishes on the menu including local trout, lemon sole, fresh mussels, pan cooked king scallops etc etc.
All fresh & frozen fish products are supplied from Premier Fish Ltd & Cooper Foods Ltd not costco including the whitebait.
However you are correct about the duck gyozo dumplings , there were purchased at costco to try & have gone down very well with the customers that have tried them.
So therefore I find your review quite damaging from someone that orders CHIPS & GRAVY for a Friday night dinner.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Called in on Saturday evening and had a most enjoyable meal. My steak was cooked to perfection. Friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Will be returning to one of the theme nights.

1  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I have just returned from a wonderful lunch , of smoked salmon and prawns, a lovely glass of wine, sat by a lovely cosy fire, what a fantastic way to spend a Sunday lunch, this is not my first visit and may I say it will not be my last ,this establishment has recently been taken over by new proprioters the service and food is excellent,and well worth a visit ,nothing is too much trouble for the staff and all done with a smile ,carry on the good work,it's fantastic to find a pub that ticks all the boxes,