“Now I feel really ill!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dukes head

Dukes head
Ranked #15 of 73 Restaurants in Romsey
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Now I feel really ill!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was not good at all. The staff are not that friendly, and the place smells really unpleasant. Good job it was sunny as I took a table in the garden which is characterless but OK.
They say they specialize in fish and as I just wanted lunch i went for the fish and chips. Which looked OK but was swimming in fat. potatoes were cooked on one side but not on the other. Beer had bits in it which shouts dirty pipes to me.

This place has had a chequered recent past and I was full of hopes as the menu looks great and it feels like someone is trying to make an effort, but on this visit, I don't hold out much hope. I was going to bring my family here, but I will think again now.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Tim S
shaun g, Owner at Dukes head, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Sorry to hear of your bad experience, however I would just like to explain that any smell was from the damp in the ladies toilet from where there had been a leaking roof. On the day of your visit the builders had been working in there removing all wooden panels to dry out & replace with new. All this has been completed today & now just needs to be painted.
All our beer lines are cleaned regular & as I believe you were drinking real ale, all our real ale lines are cleaned at every barrel change thus approx twice per week so I can only apologise for this.
I do hope you will give it another try as we have not had any other complaints about our fish & chips/saute potatoes in your case, but we did have a new chef working on his first day. If you had made it known you were not happy with your meal we would have replaced it straight away.
Please do contact myself so we can look after you next time.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We must of visited on a bad day as we found the so called welcome hostile not friendly. We were served by a positively grumpy impatient girl who was obviously an embarrassment to her much nicer and far politer work colleague. We all ordered food which came out in dribs n drabs and the quiche was burnt both top and bottom. Found this service rather surprising as the place was empty. I didn't dare to use the ladies as the men reported the gents were rather grim. Sadly despite all the great reviews I personally won't be visiting here again.

5 Thank Sweet_Cheri
Romsey, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“everything you need in one place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

from the moment you walk in you feel comfortable and looked after - always a smile on the faces of the staff - the food is excellent - more than generous portion sizes but always for a gap between courses to give your tummy time to recover and digest each course. I love the fact that they sell IFITS - if its in stock and if its possible Shaun will cook it. I follow a strict diet of low fat and no dairy and nothing is ever to much trouble to make this happen.
an absolute must for eating out!!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Tracy W
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

The pub offers different dining areas allowing you to opt for whatever you want in the bar, a dining area or enjoy the well laid out and well presented outside area.

We have eaten here before all be it some time ago and enjoyed a lovely evening meal sat outside. Just happened to be passing last Sunday and decided to try the Sunday Roast. Not disappointed good food served quickly by some really pleasant staff and good value at £7.95. This with a good selection of ales makes it a place worth visiting.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank KVS79
shaun g, Manager at Dukes head, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Called in by chance as we happened to be passing at lunchtime, myself and three hungry teenagers. Characterful surroundings and barmaid/waitress welcoming. Two of the lads had bacon and brie sandwiches, salad and chips. I had the steak and ale pudding and my other son had chicken curry. All portions were generous, food was piping hot, service was speedy, friendly and unobtrusive. Both boys really enjoyed their sandwiches, my pudding was very, very good, but unfortunately the chicken curry was fairly standard (nothing wrong with it, just nothing special). Prices were marginally higher than usual pub fayre but I thought the quality was good so was happy to pay that little extra.
Disappointed that the "Ladies" was grubby but would definitely return.

Visited April 2014
Many thanks
The ladies are now being refurbished