“Ignore the bad reviews”

Mortimer Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Romsey
“Ignore the bad reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Great location for paultons, staff very friendly, food lovely and service great. Everyone comes out off paultons when it closes and hits the restaurant so between 5 and 6.30 it's very busy. Staff do their best to cope with this but you need a little patience. Lyds (teapot) a natural with the kids.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Chiggerson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Addlestone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

A very rude man on reception, who ignored you at every opportunity he could, and pulled inconvient faces if you asked him a question, like can I book a table for dinner? and can I please have some milk for tea as we have run out. (really hard requests!)

The whole hotel is quite grand, and our room was nice but if you start looking around it needs a lot of TLC.

There was one waitress during dinner dealing with all the diners, she was superb, but service was slow as she was run of her feet, whilst the other staff ignored you. The food is too expensive for ok food. My daughters chicken gourjons meal was very pitiful and we had to share our dinner with her, she was only given two gourjons and about 5 chips.

Same at breakfast only one lady running check out and breakfast service. It was a nice breakfast, but a few too many flies to enjoy the buffet (no sure I can blame them for that.)

Should have gone for the 2 for £10 menu at the vine inn down the road.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank J_C476

Travellers are raving about these Romsey hotels

Surrey, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We ate dinner here after a busy day at Paultons. The outside says 'home cooked food, children welcome' seeing traffic ahead we chose to stay here and eat before heading to our hotel. Went to order 2 pies, out of stock, as was steak- it was 5.45 pm! 50% of tables were 'reserved' we took the last free table. Staff member asked the nice lady serving with blonde hair why they were reserved and she said they could only serve half a restaurant... They then started seating people here. Were advised food would be 30 mins, quite a wait so early in the evening. Asked for children's cutlery, small man with dark hair very rude- we don't have anything smaller- how can you offer a children's menu and no cutlery to eat it with? So my 20 month old son had to eat meatballs and pasta with a sharp fork and a giant spoon. He chose his fingers!
A lot of flies causing a nuisance right throughout.
Young children make noise, and you are not made to feel welcome when they are waiting 30 mins for dinner.
Haddock and pesto mash really nice, as was burger. £3 for a pint of Coke, £4 pint of shandy and £2 for a fruit shoot. Kids meal £6.50 (no extras like drinks or ice cream or even colouring in)- £52 for a pub dinner for 2 adults and 2 children with just 1 drink each. Nice but too stuffy and too expensive for us to return.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank The_Ferg
Keswick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

A pleasant hotel with very helpful and friendly staff. Accommodation good and clean, but bathroom badly in need of refurbishment. Two ground floor fire escapes blocked with furniture and building materials. Not enough staff at breakfast time - one person in charge of everything, including reception and telephone. Cooked breakfast good but buffet table was not topped up, even after this was pointed out (photos attached). Rather near the M27, so a lot of traffic noise. Being close to Paultons Park, it attracts a lot of families with small children, so mealtimes can be rather noisy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

At £85 per night for a room I was discusted with the service , previously being an operations manager at a highly successful hotel I am we'll aware of complications that may arise , as advised on our arrival at 3.30pm when check in is at 2pm , we were told as the new owners friends had not checked out in time our rooms were not ready. Extremely in professional , then , after spending a vast amount holding a function where we were advised the hotel would be quiet (as much of the family were staying at the hotel) we were informed there would be no problem with any noise (we can be noisy and do not wish to disrupt people) now I am currently sat in my hotel room appalled about the "telling off" we have received from two members of staff about noise , a waitress in the function room saying specifically our group stood having a drink outside as it was too got with no air con inside , u do not wish to be spoken to as a child first and foremost and if there is an issue that arises please inform the duty manager to speak to guests , not a group of young bar staff who are complaining about working a "late early " very very un professional establishment where adults cannot have fun but oh gosh , screaming children are a must have! I have never been ran into, annoyed , by children so much as I love children , and I am appalled at the lady who did appear to be a manager and the way in which she told me off , are there any uniforms as I did not see anything to state she was a manager or even a member of staff , do not hold functions if you cannot handle the demands of the people there , you cannot handle functions , noise from adults or fun! However , if you wish to have screaming children running rings around you , a shower that floods the bathroom meaning you have to wash from the sink and miserable staff then this is your place , I must admit I am very annoyed whilst writing this and am considering checking out now and leaving to drive for 4 hours home , very poor establishment! New management, great start!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank jaide04091992
Wollaston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute for a business trip. I was then delayed travelling down and did not arrive until 22.50hrs. The lady that booked me in could not have been more helpful, as was the manageress Sam. The room itself was clean and tidy, as was the bathroom. I checked out the following morning and again the staff could not have been more helpful.
Later that afternoon, I discovered I had misplaced my Kindle Fire HD. I called back to the hotel, and Sam assured me she would do everything she could to find it. She rang me the following day to confirm that having hunted high and low in the room, she had indeed found it.
The hotel overall was simply wonderful, as were the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Ringwood, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I just couldn't of asked for anymore from Sam (the Manager) and her staff. From day one of viewing, booking, planning and the actual event, it all went perfectly. I felt relaxed through out the whole planning period. With Sams help, we planned a day to suit our budget and requirements. Nothing was too much for her, she even hired in a larger table and different linen (at no extra cost to us) and let us chose a barrel of our favourite ale for the day and eve. We chose to have drinks on arrival, and chose things which we knew all our guests would like, 3 jugs of pimms, 3 jugs of ale, and jugs of squash and orange juice. We then had a lovely cream tea with nibbles in the function room, which we decorated with our vintage theme, the day before. Sam played a vintage music cd, which was perfect, whilst we ate. We later had a lovely hog roast with our further guests (about 100 in total) with bowls of delicious salads, rolls, and our chose of roast potatos, and there was masses!! We ordered our cheese cake, which came in boxes. We left them and a few decorations (grapes etc) and left it with the chefs. I didn't get to see the cake unitl the day, but they had put it together and decorated it beautifully. We had a 2 piece band in the evening, which carried on until about 11.30. Our guests took up half of the 14 rooms, which were all lovely. We then all had a lovely, and very tasty breakfast together in the morning. All the staff had packed up all our things from the function room, so all we had to do is load them into our vehicles-perfect! Just such an amazing day, we will never forget. Such good value for money to, as we didn't really even have a budget. The room hire was free, and even the bridal suite was complimentary. We have had so many fabulous compliment's on our wedding, from the room, decoration, food, rooms, staff etc etc. Would recommend this to anyone-Amazing x

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Romsey
Premier Inn Southampton West Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Southampton West
Days Inn Southampton Rownhams
Days Inn Southampton Rownhams
#18 of 24 in Southampton

Been to Mortimer Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!