“High aspirations which it just fails to meet.”
Review of Berties Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Berties Restaurant & Bar
Price range: US$0 - US$88
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent place to eat either for lunch or for dinner. The restaurant is usually busy which is always a good sign. However, it seems to be trying to be something that it is not which is a shame.

The menu is quite varied and quite highly priced (in my humble opinion). The service is really excellent and what was served was prepared well (although not really well) and was piping hot. It's difficult to put my finger on what was wrong but I'm inclined to say that it's a like a very good italian prosecco trying to pretend that it's champagne - it doesn't need to because it is very good in it's own right.

I would recommend Berties and it's definitley one of the best places to eat in Romsey.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A lovely meal for two where the service was very attentive considering the restaurant was busy and most people seemed to be ordering different meals and side dishes. Reasonably priced considering the quality of the cuisine offered. Wine list was expensive and the quality of wines stocked were fair.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were visiting family in the Hampshire area and wanted a really good restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday. This is it! Great ambiance, friendly and efficient staff, and a really good menu and wine list. A really outstanding evening.

1  Thank MelRoberts_13
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Having dined at Berties over the years, it never disappoints. My husband and I had yet another lovely evening with excellent food, attentive and very welcoming staff in a relaxing and yet "happening" atmosphere. Berties has been our chosen venue for large family functions which we have held for both of our 40th birthdays, together with an office party. The service we have experienced for both a large event and an evening just the two of us, is first class - that's why we return. You feel that you can comfortably stay for the evening and there is no pressure to have to give up the table. A real treat. Thank you to David, Ted, Dulla, the stars in the kitchen and the other staff who obviously work very hard to maintain this high standard.

1  Thank Suzy G
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My wife and I attended a Friday night wine-tasting dinner at Berties. The three-course seafood dinner was cooked by Berties chef and his staff; the wine was presented by Heaton Wines of Romsey and the event was hosted by Paul Heaton and his wife. The first course, a crab and sweetcorn chowder, was exceptional. Very creamy and heavily loaded with fresh crab. It was accompanied by cob bread rolls. The two wines with this dish were a Muscadet and a Macon Blanc. Opinions were exchanged on which of the two wines went better with the dish. The second course was a generous plateful of Scottish mussels, in a cider, cream and shallot sauce. These were accompanied by French bread, with another Muscadet and an Entre-deux-mers as the wines. The mussels were top-class, although I found the creamy liquor a bit fruity (from the cider) and somewhat prefer the usual wine-based sauce. The final course was a preparation of traditional 'fish and chips', with two different fish served in an excellent crisp batter, with a small stack of twice-cooked chips, pea puree, capers and a whipped mayonnaise sauce. The accompanying wines were a Graves and (as an experiment) an Alsace Pinot noir - a red wine.
The fried fish was tasty but it was generally thought that the red wine did not show well opposite a fish dish. We ended with coffee and chocolate truffles.

This was a very entertaining and enjoyable evening with the modest price-tag of £30 a head. The next such evening is planned for July and details will appear on the website of Heaton Wines. My wife and I will be there!

2  Thank BroLucius