“Perfect once again”

Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have been to Tha Black Bean many times before but I have not been for about a year. This time we went for my sister's 30th birthday. What a lovely night and the food was divine. I ate the ribs (superb) and then the Aromatic Duck. Always wonderful. Everytime we go we are made to feel very welcome. The service is brilliant and nothing is too much. My family and I love it and my father is very fussy as to where he will spend his time and money so for him to want to go back to a restaurant - well that says something. Thank you so much to David for always making it a lovely experience for my family. I can't wait to go there again.

1  Thank LadyEmma25

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Where to start?

Staff seemed really nervous as if just started or first weekend of opening but after meal think this was down to embarrassment knowing what they were going to give us

Went to bar ordered drinks. Only cans and bottles (I know no great shakes) placed our order and sat down, mixed starters arrived but only half our order spring rolls had 1 bean sprout in them, prawn toast soggy chicken satay as dry and tough as old boots, seaweed wet, ribs nice

Nearly left at this point but said mains can't be any worse, how wrong we were. Every dish was shocking, meat really tough and tasted nothing like what it was, didn't realise it was possible to burn rice but they did. Sent one back and was told the smell of burnt was curry powder, next one exactly the same. It really was just the worst ever.

I would have looked at this and thought it can't be that bad but it was worse honestly much worse. Apparently the chef left and the owner is now doing the cooking. We said how bad it was and given 10% off. That's 10% off one of the most expensive Chinese meals ever

I quite expect that the owner will get one of his mates to write a good review after this and all I will say is try, make your own judgement but don't say you haven't been warned

A terrible experience all round

5  Thank KB2103
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I was passing stockbriade having Chinese food at black bean restaurant. That was fantastic meal and good service,having great night .
The stuff quiet funny as well.
Next time if I visit Hampshire again,defiantly have to come back again.

1  Thank Iceon
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We were the only one's in on a Saturday night but not sure why - it was a lovely meal and service was good

Reviewed 25 August 2013

According to my seven-year-old son and raconteur Archie O, there is a restaurateur in Stockbridge who moves around his kitchen with the grace, speed and athleticism of Jackie Chan. The fact that David the chef/patron of the Black Bean restaurant looks as much like Jackie Chan as I look like Tom Cruise, makes little difference to my son. It’s the thought that counts.

The Black Bean is a real discovery, lurking just off the main drag in Stockbridge close to the main roundabout and hidden behind a large wall and bamboo curtain. You enter through a mini Shangri-La with obligatory water feature into a magnificent timber-framed building sympathetically decorated with oriental furnishings.

Hosts David and Paul create an easy, informal bonhomie and comfortable child-friendly surroundings. The eclectic pan-Asian menu draws its inspiration from all over the Far-East but focuses mostly on a Thai/Chinese fusion of food which works very well including delicately cooked spring rolls, crispy duck and a smattering of the usual suspects – all freshly made.

Of particular note were the thrilling Malaysian curries which packed some serious oriental kung-fu kicks. Fabulous.

On the downside the spicing is a little hit and miss and underpowered for our taste and service can be a little leisurely, but is always thoughtful.

The Black Bean inexplicably gets a hard time from some reviewers. We waited until we had visited twice before posting a review - and on both occasions it was the perfect tonic after a challenging week. Provided you don’t expect ruthless efficiency and enjoy old-fashioned hospitality, you’ll enjoy it too.

On our departure last Friday night they mentioned that Tom Cruise had in fact dined out there recently whilst filming in the area, but there has been no sign of the real Jackie Chan. No matter, the Black Bean is a first-class act that brings some genuine Wok N’Roll to the Test Valley.

1  Thank MattOConnor