“Chinese New Year at it's worst.”
Review of black bean - CLOSED

black bean
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I should have trusted my instincts when I walked in to an empty restaurant on Chinese New year! This was a pre-ordered take away so was already at home 7 miles away when reality hit as we started opening the cartons. Car crash springs to mind! If it wasn't chucking it down with rain outside with flooded roads the owner would have received the whole meal back. Rice burnt, chicken balls tasteless. 'Crispy' chilly beef was just a red soggy mess. Prawn crackers had never been near a prawn and soft to boot! The Satay sauce was brown with crushed peanuts at the bottom but tasted of nothing at all. I may as well have chucked £32 in the bin because that's where this food went. An experience never to be suffered again. In all my 42 years I have never had such disgusting food. Clearly the chef is English because no Chinese chef would have turned out Chinese food like this. Please don't say that you weren't warned.

4  Thank HLS003

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Visited recently, and were early and the only ones there. As another reviewer has said, it was cold in there. We kept our thick outdoor coats on, a pretty obvious clue we were cold, but there was no attempt to rectify that, radiator was luke warm.
The tea was great, and nice and hot.
The lamb was about the most diabolical I have ever had in a restaurant - rubbery, fatty and hard, I couldnt eat it, but appreciated the 50% taken off the price. I was offered chicken instead, but didnt want to risk it. Quality control on meat is a key indicator in restaurants.
The rice was great, but like another reviewer the pancake rolls were lacking in filling quality.
This very strange meal was made worse by the ?owner engaging us in endless (unwanted) conversation, including making uncomplimentary remarks about my home town, pretty risky thing to do with strangers! We took it all in good humour, but really overall it wasnt good.

4  Thank Barnaby T
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I visited on a Saturday evening in early January.
The restaurant is located just off Stockbridge High Street in an old house which is entered through a zen like garden which would be perfect to sit in for pre-dinner drinks in the summer but sadly not January.
The restaurant itself is a cross between an old English cottage and an Oriental home which creates a lovely intimate setting.
The menu has Chinese, Thai and Malaysian dishes, we chose mixed starters which were predominantly Chinese based and Malaysian mains - ordering three mains, a rice and noodles.
The starters were definitely not bought in frozen but home-Mae, of particular note was the spare ribs which just fell off the bone - so tender.
The mains were packed full of king prawns - I don't think I've had dishes with so many before and all had a good kick without it being too in your face. Even though the dishes were a generous size, as they were so nice, we ate jut about all of the food despite intending to ask for a doggybag...
The staff were very helpful, when we enquirer about certain dishes, the very pleasant chap called David over to explain; when we were eating we were asked if everything was fine (absolutely!) then when we'd finished, David came and chatted despite this visit being our first to the restaurant.
We intend to return sometime soon as the only concern that could be found was that I was a little chilly when we first went in, however, it was very cold outside and I on warmed up.
Top tip - this is not your run of the mill Chinese and cannot be compared in any way to a Chinese buffet as they are polar opposites.

1  Thank Montypaws
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have been to Tha Black Bean many times before but I have not been for about a year. This time we went for my sister's 30th birthday. What a lovely night and the food was divine. I ate the ribs (superb) and then the Aromatic Duck. Always wonderful. Everytime we go we are made to feel very welcome. The service is brilliant and nothing is too much. My family and I love it and my father is very fussy as to where he will spend his time and money so for him to want to go back to a restaurant - well that says something. Thank you so much to David for always making it a lovely experience for my family. I can't wait to go there again.

1  Thank LadyEmma25
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Where to start?

Staff seemed really nervous as if just started or first weekend of opening but after meal think this was down to embarrassment knowing what they were going to give us

Went to bar ordered drinks. Only cans and bottles (I know no great shakes) placed our order and sat down, mixed starters arrived but only half our order spring rolls had 1 bean sprout in them, prawn toast soggy chicken satay as dry and tough as old boots, seaweed wet, ribs nice

Nearly left at this point but said mains can't be any worse, how wrong we were. Every dish was shocking, meat really tough and tasted nothing like what it was, didn't realise it was possible to burn rice but they did. Sent one back and was told the smell of burnt was curry powder, next one exactly the same. It really was just the worst ever.

I would have looked at this and thought it can't be that bad but it was worse honestly much worse. Apparently the chef left and the owner is now doing the cooking. We said how bad it was and given 10% off. That's 10% off one of the most expensive Chinese meals ever

I quite expect that the owner will get one of his mates to write a good review after this and all I will say is try, make your own judgement but don't say you haven't been warned

A terrible experience all round

5  Thank KB2103