“Lovely weekend”

Ranked #4 of 9 Stockbridge B&B and Inns
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here for just one night. We arrived early and were warmly received. Our room was ready and we were offered assistance with our cases. Our room was lovely, nicely decorated and very comfortable. Plenty of tea bags & proper ground coffee & cafetiere with nice biscuits.

We had lunch in the hotel. The dining room was packed with locals and we got the last table. The food was delicious and we decided to eat in again that evening. We weren't disappointed. The waiting staff were young but all seemed to know what they were doing. they were both helpful & friendly. The ambiance is comfortable, warm and friendly. Be warned though, the ceilings are low and require care.

I was concerned hat the shower looked a bit below par, but it was actually lovely, a power shower with tons of hot water. Breakfast was beautifully cooked and served, a selection of cereals, toast, juiced and cooked dishes.

I'm not a big fan of large bland hotel chains. I much prefer quirky smaller hotels with a personal service. This one ticked all the boxes for me and we'll certainly visit again

Room Tip: We had room one which is the largest room. Take a sleep mask as the curtains are light and there are...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stay at The Three Cups regularly whilst on business in Andover. I feel comfortable staying on my own, the rooms are comfortable (although some are on the small side due to the characteristics of the building) and the service is friendly. The restaurant here is excellent but what makes his hotel special is the little extras like the herbal teas and fresh coffee available in the room. Something I've not found in any other hotel in the area I've stayed in. I recommend The Three Cups to anyone staying in this area.

Room Tip: This is an old pub with rooms so some tend to be on the small side, room one is a bit more expensive...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My Dad provisionally booked a room for himself and my Mum and for the rest of my family as I was getting married in Houghton lodge and Gardens that weekend.

As the bride I was given a tiny box room, my parents had kindly said they would swap with me for their room which had more space, for the amount of people who would be helping me get ready in the morning. The first night was fine, although the bed was extremely uncomfortable and meant that I did not sleep well the night before my wedding.

The night after my wedding, my husband and I woke up to go and get breakfast at about 9.30 to be told in a very rude manner that it finishes at 9am and that they had kept it open until 09:30, making me feel like an inconvenience. The breakfast was between 8am & 9am which I was not informed of when booking in to the room. Also a breakfast finishing at 9 is in my opinion extremely early to finish!

I felt all of the service was slow and and a lot of the staff were very rude too, especially when asking a simple question, a rude response would follow.

We had been to the Pub before where again we had awful service. The waiter took our order and then nothing arrived. The waiter never came back over to us, I had to ask them where our food was, he then told us he had forgotten to put our food through, therefore, what we had originally ordered was no longer available, which was irritating.

We booked at the Pub for our wedding prior to having the meal there, but thought that it may have just been a mishap and would give them the benefit of the doubt. We should not have given them a second chance.

To top it off the original quote which was given to my family and I was £90 for the night as we had a group booking, instead they were all billed £104 and we were told "that was the price and we had to pay it".

Disgusting, awful service, DO NOT BOOK!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Stockbridge hotels

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We booked into the 3 cups as somewhere to stay whilst my sister was getting married at Houghton Lodge Gardens (which is a lovely place to visit by the way). We arrived at about 8pm and were greeted with a friendly smile and shown to our room. Although the young lady made us feel welcome we felt a little rushed, she didn't even ask us who we were which I thought may have been helpful when dealing with bookings, she just quickly made her exit.

My first impressions of the room was good, however we booked a family room (2 adults and 2 children) but there was only 2 beds. I was then told that there was a bed folded up underneath the single but when I tried to pull it out a heavy coffee table was in the way, blocking it in. We would have had to re-arrange the furniture just to get in out. It too was heavy and extremely awkward so we decided to just let the children top and tail (which was not ideal as my eldest son is 12 and my youngest is 7).
Night time bed hour was greeted with a shock, the bed was like an ironing board, hard and very uncomfortable to be honest I was shocked! I am 4 months pregnant and looking forward to a snug and cozy bed for the night :(

The shower leaked everywhere and took forever to get to the right temperature, I gave up and had a bath.

Breakfast was yummy, good quality food which was perfect to fuel us for the day ahead however the 2nd morning we went down to have another breakfast (looking forward to it) when we were told that the breakfast has finished!? It was only 9.30am. It had never occurred to me that it would have finished so early!? We found out that breakfast was between 8am and 9am. We were obviously lucky the first time as we were never told when making the booking what time breakfast was and felt very disappointed. My children were also hungry and were very upset.

When we made the booking we were quoted £90 for a family room but when we went to pay they charged us £104.00 per night!! I couldn't believe it! When I tried to dispute the cost she said that the first price quoted was an error and that I still had to pay even though we didn't have breakfast!!! I FELT CHEATED!!! It fact we were cheated! What a shame! I would have demanded to pay for what we were quoted but she was extremely unhelpful and said well we could have charged you more! What the???

My dad had made the booking and had his credit card was in place and I didn't want them to sting him, so I paid in full. I am not happy!!!

Final verdict: Too expensive, bad customer service!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Very slow service - half an hour to take our order, then another hour's wait for a tough, stringy, thin and overcooked steak on a cold plate for £20. We left without eating. The bill was waived, but only after we had said we would only pay for our drinks. Avoid: there are plenty of other eating places in Stockbridge.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank greypet
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Visited last Friday evening for a meal. Called ahead for a table, arrived around 19.45. Pub was noisy wih a goo atmosphere, restaurant was quiet about 1/2 full.

There were plenty of staff that seems to swap between standing around in groups talking or rushing this way and that without much purpose.

All but one or two were very young and seemed to know very little about the beer, wine and food on offer.

At every stage of our visit we were tended by a different staff member who didn't even know what course we were on.

At no point were we asked if our food was ok, or if we wanted for anything.

After asking for the bill it was placed directly on the table at arms length before the girl scurried off in the other direction to go elsewhere.

A shame really. A good location, a good reputation and better than average food let down by inexperienced staff.

• Stayed August 2013
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Before setting out for our 3 day stay at the Three Cups I telephoned to say we would probably be arriving in the early evening to be told we were not booked in, this despite having received a confirmation e-mail from my original booking. Eventually the member of staff found the booking. Not an encouraging start.

On arrival we were shown to a very pleasant room, plenty of space, large bed, lovely bathroom and all the usual bits and pieces expected of a good inn. It was situated above the bar and we were to find that noise from the bar was intrusive until the inn closed, partly because it was a very hot three days, the windows had to be open for comfort and it was a choice of heat or noise. After unpacking at about 6 o'clock we needed a light meal and so down to the bar where there was a good selection of beers and wines. Upon asking for a menu a member of staff told us they did not begin serving food until 6.30 and the menus had not been printed. We went to find a table in their beautiful garden area where a menu would be brought to us. It wasn't and we had to go and get it. The cheese tart which arrived had what seemed to be a piece of food wrapping in it when cut open and was returned to the kitchen; it was replaced by one which was cold and it too was returned. My partner gave up at this point. The soup which I had was accompanied by bread verging on the stale. I asked to see the owner or manager and did so at breakfast next day. She was very apologetic and cancelled payment for that "meal". The breakfast was very good but I am afraid we were put off taking any more evening meals.

Overall we enjoyed our stay in Hampshire but given the above I felt that someone needed to pay a lot more attention to providing an acceptable level of service. Sadly this was more than confirmed when on the Sunday after our stay I was in bed asleep when the phone rang at 1115 pm, a male caller told me it was the Three Cups and I had a booking for that night ! What are they playing at ? Says it all.

Room Tip: Would avoid room 1 if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
The Grosvenor
Lainston House Hotel
#2 of 13 in Winchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,040 reviews
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Three Cups Inn? Share your experiences!