“One night is enough.”
Review of The Three Cups Inn

The Three Cups Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Stockbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We booked in for a couple of nights whilst fly fishing on the Test, the Greyhound across the road was full, unfortunately.

Previous reviewers have pretty much said it all, but at the risk of repeating some things, here we go.

All of the members of staff have been blessed with youthful looks and may well only be just old enough to vote or drink in a pub. Nothing wrong with youth of course, but this manifested itself in a less than professional interaction with guests. Service is confused, ill informed or totally lacking. There is a serious requirement for an experienced and firm Manager and a whole pile of training. The greeting "you alright there mate?" on reception, doesn't really do it for me.

Restaurant and my room more appropriate for someone from Lilliput. Tourists from across the pond may well find it to be Olde Worlde charme, personally not being able to stand upright and walk I find painful. My room was cramped and the bathroom similar. Dropping the soap in the shower could well have proved awkward in more than one way! There was a dodgy looking bulb fitting in the top of the shower with the bulb missing.

Dinner order was lost, found, refused and then finally cooked. Quality ok ish. Breakfast offering 4/10, buffet.............what buffet?

Good choice of beer. Wine list..............limited.

Overall, poor vfm and if you had to chose one word to describe the whole experience it would be sloppy.

If you want better food, rooms and service, book the Greyhound, but well ahead of time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Watfordbloke7

Reviewed 22 May 2014

After a weekend stay whilst in the area on business, i had found that i had been charged twice for my stay. i understands this can happen occasionally. My work colleague then contact the the Inn to be told that they would do it right away and apologized! After a month of chasing them i still have not had my refund, the manager has just put the phone down on me as they busy with customers. This behavior is appalling as it was not my fault they charged me twice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank julian S
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Beautiful 15th Century Coaching Inn. Food excellent. Room very very comfortable. Lovely staff, nothing too much trouble. Just wish our stay had been much longer than one night !!!!!!! Stockbridge is a beautiful place with the river Test at the top of the High Street. Little rivers run off of it through the high street with small areas of trout and ducks right next to the pavements. Beautiful walks along these little rivers. One runs right through the garden of The Three Cups. Watch the beams in the restaurant, very low.

Room Tip: Nothing I can add really. Very quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Went to the three cups for my husband's birthday. Really nice pub, cosy feel ,great atmosphere. Some of the other reviews have criticised the service but we had no problems with the young but very friendly waiting staff. Complimentary bread offered and water. They have a smallish menu , but the food was really good quality and value. Only disappointed by the fact we were too full up to try the cheese and biscuits. We will definitely be visiting again .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank didnotattend
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Upon entering the inn I was greeted by a very nice chap called Jack who dealt with my arrival admirably. The room was very quaint and it had everything you would require; fresh milk, a cafetiere with fresh coffee, and lots of shower goodies.
Had a meal in the restaurant which was wonderful and was complemented by some good beers.
The bedroom was wonderfully quiet, so a good nights sleep was had.
The question was could this continue at breakfast. I wasn't disappointed. The whole breakfast experience was excellent. One of the best breakfasts I have ever had.
All of this for £60. (not the evening meal) A bargain and I recommend this inn to everyone.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The pub is outstanding, the food is great and the atmosphere is very friendly. It was a very relaxed and enjoyable do and I will be returning to this pub at the earliest opportunity to try moor of the gorgeous food (and beer).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I've visited this inn a few times, usually just passing through and a convenient stop off point. This year I decided to stop over for the night.

My welcome from lucy was warm and helpful offering me assistance with my luggage and showing me to a lovely, well decorated and well appointed room.

The front of house staff (including Lucy's mother - a true family business) were wonderfully and refreshingly polite and appropriately attentive. Thank you all for a wonderful couple of meals and a great nights sleep.

My only two suggestions for improvement would be to consider installing a door at the foot of the stairs to the accommodation, or improved extractors in the kitchen as the greasy smell of the fryer tends to waft upwards.

My other suggestion is directed toward the chef. Perhaps in future if you receive a compliment on your culinary skills, a polite thank you is better than a "of course it is I cooked it" response.

Otherwise a great stopover and heartedly recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo