“Great hotel, great location !”
Review of The Grosvenor

The Grosvenor
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stockbridge
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed here on my own as I was officiating at a wedding at the nearby Horsebridge Station venue and I couldn't have been made to feel more welcome . They let me have a late checkout (1 pm) which so many hotels don't like doing. It was a boiling hot day and I couldn't open the window as it was jammed but within minutes two members of staff came to help, armed with a fan in case they could't get it open - but they did, so that was fine !

As so often happens when travelling alone, I didn't really want to eat my evening meal by myself even though Stockbridge is rammed with gorgeous pub bistros, so I had my meal in my room which was very nice and great value - two courses and a free large glass of wine . To sum up, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - it's basic decor but if you just want a bed and good shower for the night and a great breakfast the next morning then it's ideal . The staff were so friendly and accommodating that it made my stay a lovely experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

we have been for several evening meals and come away full and happy there is a proper chef and also if you like a good wine,we especialy like the newzealand also worth looking at the odd bins

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit at our hotel.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

stayed for one night at the grosvenor hotel in stockbridge,the staff were very friendly and helpful.
we had lunch,dinner and breakfast the following day all the food was cooked very well,when we had dinner we were told there may be a delay due to a function being held,but to be honest we didnt have to wait too long,not a problem as we were not going anywhere.
the room i am afraid was depressing it needed a serious makeover,especially the tiles in the bathroom the room lighting was totally inadequate it was noisy due to a fan late at night and early the next morning there were other faults with the room,i am very sorry to say the condition of the hotel decor wise is very unfair on the the hotel management and their staff as they done a good job,but its those no doubt high and above in the greene king organisation who hold the purse strings,it can only make their jobs more difficult as there are already doing a good job.
so greene king spend some money on this hotel it needs it!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crlawrence
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.
We are currently in the middle of a very large refurbishment project across all the Old English inns. We do value all comments good and bad and take great pride in offering the best possible experience for all our guests. We look forward to welcoming to back to one of our Inns very soon.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

I booked this hotel as my partner was going fly fishing nearby on the Sunday, was stayed for 1 night and I can honestly say it was a lovely hotel. Having read the reviews about it being dated, i was concerned. Upon arrival, we were given a friendly welcome from the management and shown to our room (number 26). The room had a large double bed, large wardrobe, flat screen tv, and spacious bathroom. I agree the bathroom was a little dated but it was spotlessly clean. I couldn't fault it.

The bed was comfortable, our room overlooked the road and we heard no noise.

The breakfast was amazing, there is a choice of cooked breakfasts which include smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or a full english, you also have the choice of fresh fruit and cereals.

We had dinner at the hotel on Saturday night. The food was amazing and perfectly cooked. The meal was very reasonable. However if you don't want to eat at the hotel, there are plenty of others nearby.

For a weekend break, i'd highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

We are really please that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

paid £70 for a single which was a bit on the expensive side for what it was, but price was similar to other places locally. Check in was fast, both ladies on reception were very friendly and made me feel welcome. Room was dated but clean.. TV was an old box with combined dvd player. Wardrobe and other items looked like it came from my granny's house, but the important things were there..lovely bed, nice bath, FREE WI-FI and newish carpet... Lighting left a lot to be desired and there was no cover on the bathroom light.. (room 21)
The dining and bar areas were also dated but in a nice way which gave the building some charm.. Food was lovely and the lady rushing about in the breakfast room was busy with the number of people, however no one had to wait because of her efforts (I have had slower service with 3 times the staff !!)...
There is loads of parking outside and round the back, Stockbridge is very nice village and with some good places to eat/drink..

Marking?? I would deduct 2 stars for dated rooms..however because of the service, quality of food and free wifi I would add a star giving a final score of 4.. Would consider staying here again especially if the rooms were updated.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Les666
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at our Old English Inn. We value all your comments, and take them on board to offer the best service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

I would like to say we had our wedding ceremony, reception and evening celebrations at the Grosvenor Hotel and both ourselves and our guests had nothing but complements to give.

Room Tip: We had the honeymoon suite which was fantastic
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank pompeykaz
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Old English Inn and we are glad you enjoyed your special day with us. We do value all feedback and work hard to maintain good service to all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns very soon.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have not used the Grosvenor as a hotel as i live in Stockbridge but i often eat there. The food is delicious. It is always tastes very fresh with lots of flavour! The portions are superb and there is plenty to choose from! In my opinion it is the very best place to eat in Stockbridge. I last went there a few days ago for my partners birthday. The restaurant, bar, hotel and meeting rooms were completley full and we were told we would have to wait a while for food as there was one table of 25. They estimated over an hour - we decided it was worth the wait. Our starters came after about 40 minutes - hot, fresh and delicious. Our mains were the same. They we were rushed off their feet and still couldnt do enough to help us. We were more than pleased!!! Could eat there again & again - WILL eat there again & again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you for your feed back on your recent visit to our Old English Inn. We value all your comments, and take them on board to offer the best service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Peat Spade Inn
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The Grosvenor? Share your experiences!