“luv food”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stockbridge
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“luv food”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

under new management its agreen king now no more fine dining my starter was aubergine in batter but so burnt when cut with fork it turned into ashes mains no better lamb shank poking out of mash with peas wines have changed too husbands meal no better over £60.00 for two and wasnt asked if we enjoyed our food

1 Thank J F
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Grosvenor, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
We are sorry that your visit didn't live up to your expectations and that you didn't enjoy your meal with us. We always try to both cook, and present our food to perfection, our team have been rebriefed with your comments in mind.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My partner and I were looking to buy a property in Stockbridge and on a whim decided to stay a Grosvenor 1 night as a base to explore the surrounding area - big mistake. The room felt dirty (we had dead spiders on the shower ceiling for example) and the rest of the hotel felt really run down and tatty (items of furniture were badly damaged and decor tired). Our room smelt of cheap air freshener and the bed gave us both a chronic back ache due to the 'valley' in the middle of the mattress.

OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Grosvenor, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Sir/madam,
Thank you for your feedback , we are sorry that your visit to the Grosvenor hotel was not up to your expectations. We endeavour to try and keep all our rooms to a high standard of cleanliness. We are undergoing a rolling re-decorating programme of which the bar and rooms are a major part…thank you again.

Travellers are raving about these Stockbridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Recent 2 night stay using Old English Inn's excellent value breaks ( see their website ). Friendly welcome, speedy check-in even though we arrived before 2.00pm, room was ready.Clean and comfortable but bathroom could do with update. Explored Stockbridge itself with variety of independent shops in the High St. including very good Deli, galleries, craft and gift shops and had very good cream tea in Lillie's. If you're a fisherman Stockbridge is on the River Test, famed for it's trout. Ideal base for short scenic drive to Stonehenge, and historic cities of Salisbury and Winchester not to be missed. Had very good meal in restaurant both nights from fixed price menu, sausage and mash and fish and chips, well cooked and good portions and breakfast again good selection cooked to order and set you up for the day. All in all an excellent break and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Grosvenor, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the Grosvenor Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will see you again in the near future. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights on one of the Old English Inns special offer deals, which was amazing value for money ! If you like your hotels with character and history as opposed to modern clinical minimalist surroundings and décor, you'll like it here. It could perhaps do with a bit of "cheering up" but that apart we could not fault it. Breakfast choice was excellent and very enjoyable and without exception the staff were friendly and obliging. We would not hesitate to return or to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Our room in the newer annexe section was quiet and peaceful.
1 Thank Steve S
Yeovil, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

we enjoyed our two night stay ,good service friendly staff.room was clean bed large and comfy .We ate in hotel one evening good food ,breakfast was very good plenty of choice ,hope to go back again maybe weather will be kinder as we had rain and snow .some nice shops in the town.

1 Thank Debbie E
Hampshire
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I stayed at the Grosvenor in early January 2013 and enjoyed my stay. This is a hotel that will remind the older visitors of Hotels before large scale standardisation and, in keeping with that, the Grosvenor is delightfully quirky. Price wise the Grosvenor is very reasonable. From outside the buiding is the grandest in the town and is right in the middle of Stockbridge High Street. The downside is that if you need to keep the rose tinted specs on becuase take them off and you will see the wear and tear of an older hotel. And for many I fear this might be at off putting levels.

The staff at the Grosvenor were charming and helpful and in the tradition of a smaller, old school hotel, everyone seemed to be doing everything. One moment the receptionist is serving your dinner next they are behind the bar. The restaurant is ok, but could be better and, faced with some high end competition in Stockbridge, this needs an upgrade in my view. The rooms are where the Grosvenor is let down. The ones I have seen are tired, bathrooms reminisicent of an institution rather than a hotel. There is an extension to the hotel within which I guess are newer rooms. But who wants to stay in the extension? It looks like the whole place needs a refurb.

I liked it for the sheer throwback value and pleasant service but many will not be able see past the faded glory.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Kent, England
Reviewed 5 February 2013

My wife and I chose this as an overnight stop en route to the West Country.

Having driven through Stockbridge over the years we thought it would be an interesting place to stay overnight and the Grosvenor provided good value accommodation and gave us a flavour of the town.

The staff were all friendly and welcoming without being intrusive. The room was well equipped and comfortable. Having the choice of eating in the bar or restaurant we chose the informality of the bar.

I found it a bit confusing at first to know exactly what was on offer as I seemed surrounded by chalkboard specials and poster advertising special offers on certain days along with table menu's. Having sorted out what was available I chose scallops followed by steak which I enjoyed although the steak wasn't the greatest in the world but OK. The scallops were great, in fact I could of easily polished off three more. I particularly enjoyed a couple of pints of the well kept local brew and we had a bottle of good Malbec for a very reasonable £12 or so.
There is a good selection for breakfast in nicely laid out in the restaurant although I wondered if my kipper, which looked a little on the small side on my plate, had been pre-cooked and then zapped as it was a bit dry.

At the end of the day the acid test is would I stay again and would I recommend it? yes and yes

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Peat Spade Inn
The Star & Garter
The Star & Garter
#3 of 8 in Andover
Travelodge Barton Stacey

Been to The Grosvenor? Share your experiences!