“recent visit”
Review of The Grosvenor

The Grosvenor
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stockbridge
Reviewed 19 June 2013

excellent food good location good service friendly staff the hotel was a bit tired however the value for money more thancompanstes for this having stopped within over old english inns we thought was a very nice one.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Booked this last minute and am not disappointed in any way. We received a warm welcome on arrival and found our room at the back to be wonderfully peaceful after a long week at work.
We had dinner and breakfast the following morning and can highly recommend both filling and tasty, particularly the prawn cocktail at dinner and the eggs benedict at breakfast.
Will definitely come back here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Fleckie1974
Reviewed 8 June 2013

excellent night stay and a very good dinner , the staff were very help ful specially carol and the young blonde european girl
they look after us and our dog called blue and very very helpfull , we will be going back again to stay

george malde

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Oh dear! - for it's prominent position on Stockbridge's historic high street, I was expecting to find a well-managed hotel with a bit of a personal touch. Unfortunately, I found neither. First impressions say a lot, so when I arrived to find the hotel receptionist eating her lunch at her keyboard I knew I might be in for an 'interesting' stay. My room was in the annex at the back - several corridors and fire doors later I found my dark and rather tired room - a perfectly comfortable bed, but the curtains didn't fit the window, the main bedroom light and bathroom extractor fan didn't work and there was dust an inch thick on the door frame of the very dated bathroom. Two cards left on my bed said that the room had been prepared and checked by two separate individuals - I don't think so! They were probably just going though the motions. Oh, and the walls are pretty thin so you could hear everything in the adjacent rooms. The cooked breakfast was adequate, but was painfully slow, probably due to just one rather grumpy waitress being on duty for a busy beakfast room. About the only positive thing I found was the good free wi-fi access. Overall, what could be a lovely hotel (and perhaps once was) feels neglected because it IS being neglected - the staff do not seem interested or motivated and the whole place needs some serious investment, updating and a review of how it is being run.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank FamilyRobinsonUK
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at The Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I'm sorry that the hotel failed to live up to your expectations and that on this occasion we obviously let ourselves down. I can assure you that all your criticisms have been addressed and hope that you will give us another chance in the future

Reviewed 13 May 2013

You get what you pay for is a fair comment. This place has no competition so it gets away with shortcomings a bit easier. The rooms are spacious so that is a credit but all is basic and dated in the room. I do think that cleanliness should always be very good regardless of the star rating and unfortunately this was not. From mildew/mold in the bathroom to just dust in the bedroom. When having a shower the shower-head fell on me and quite clearly this was previously broken and just pushed back in the hope it did not happen again, it did!
They are cutting back on staff as well as in the morning their was only one waitress running around in the restaurant and upon check out I just walked out as I could not see any staff. Just to clarify my room was pre-paid!! English breakfast was good however although we all did have a fair amount to drink the night before so a good fry up always goes down well.

Room Tip: Have a room on the back otherwise you are bang on the main road which is noisy
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dutchboy74
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We have stayed here a fair few times in the past and have been so pleased with the service, rooms and the food. The previous manager was attentive, was great for customer service and made sure everything ran smoothly. Well... It seems she doesn't work at this Grosvenor anymore. The rooms are the same, clean if somewhat tired. A member of staff spoke to another in such a demeaning way it was awkward to be around. After ordering food (they made it seem like they were going out of their way) we got our sharing starter a slightly longer than usual but acceptable amount of time, however the quality was poor, it felt very manufactured and like it had sat for a while, we then waited at least half an hour for our mains (macaroni cheese and half chicken breast) the macaroni cheese tasted microwaved and had crisped and cooled since it had been cooked and the chips that came with the chicken weren't cooked nor were they warm. Overall I am very disappointed with this hotel. Previously we have wondered why it was only a 3 star. Now i wouldn't rate it, certainly won't be coming back again. Such a shame.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank kfielo
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We arrived for breakfast only, a good measure of the effort any hotel puts into its business - oh dear!
Having ordered simple cooked food - we waited, and waited...others got served..but no member of staff was aware/bothered or cared to consider that we were still there - and waiting! Not a great way to value people, lucky them to be so busy that they need not offer great service I guess?
No interest or bother when we decided to just give up and pay for the tea n toast that was forthcoming - poor beyond belief - I thought the catering industry in the UK had got beyond this grim attitude but it appears to be alive and well in Stockbridge.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NessMill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Peat Spade Inn
#1 of 1 in Sutton Scotney
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The Grosvenor? Share your experiences!