“Gruuby at the Grosvenor”
Review of The Grosvenor

The Grosvenor
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stockbridge
London, UK
“Gruuby at the Grosvenor”
Reviewed 22 September 2007

I stayed here with my fiance for two nights as our friends were getting married in nearby Romsey. Thankfully we did not have to spend much time in the hotel. On arrival, we were directed to a room in the annex of the hotel, which was nothing like the rooms pictured on the website. Dust, dirt and cobwebs greeted us, along with a dripping tap in the bathroom, damp and a previous occupant's used towel. Nice touch... The sheets were stained and the room stank of damp.

Breakfast was ok in comparison to the room and the service offered by the staff (grumpy and uncharming) but not as good as I would expect of a hotel charging £80 per night.

We should and would have complained had the hotel not been block-booked by the bride and groom for their guests - we didn't want the happy couple to be stressed or worried about anything before or during their big day, so we kept quiet.

Please don't waste your money by staying here.

• Liked — They booked a taxi for us to leave
  • Disliked — The dirty room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Datchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2007

Have just come back from a 2-night stay at the Grosvenor Hotel. I was told that the hotel was the best in the area. This may be the case, but I haven't stayed in any other hotels in Stockbridge, so I couldn't comment on this! However, me, my husband and my parents were all slightly disappointed.

The hotel needs a makeover. It's very dark and is a mixture of 60s/70s chic (!) and country living. The temperature around the hotel also seems to need controlling. Me and my husband stayed in one of the rooms upstairs and were absolutely baking (there was no visible a/c). My parents on the other hand stayed in one of the rooms out the back and felt damp and cold (it was a chilly and wet May weekend, but there is no excuse).

The breakfast in the morning provided lots of variety and definitely filled a hole. However, we waited 30 mins for it on our first morning and 10 mins on our second. On this occasion our sausages were all raw.

I think the one main problem we had with this hotel was the service, both before we arrived and after. The hotel had tried to bump my parents out of their room 2 weeks before we were due to arrive. Because my parents had booked the hotel 8 months before and we were going to Stockbridge for a wedding, we were not pleased. (We later found out from the Bride and Groom that the hotel had also double-booked their honeymoon suite). The staff were pleasant, but in no way bent over backwards.

Overall, pleasant for a short stay, but would look elsewhere if we were in the area again.

• Liked — The location - in the middle of the High Street - and ample parking
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Peat Spade Inn
The Star & Garter
#2 of 8 in Andover
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie

Been to The Grosvenor? Share your experiences!