Book In Advance
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews planes and helicopters gift aid teddy bears outdoor play area interesting exhibits cafe upstairs main hall couple of hours on display few hours military history annual pass entrance fee well worth the visit sunny day airfield gliders
Reviewed 27 May 2013

A great museum with the history of Army flight through the years. Its very well laid out with interactive displays.
The cafe is excellent with a good range of food and drinks. Its run by a friendly bunch of staff who are very welcoming.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Came here as my husband loves anything to do with 'planes etc. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Well laid out. LOADS of historic items, stories, well beyond just the machines. Very worthwhile.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Guided by the weather we chose this attraction as there was more to see inside if it rained. With two small children a baby and 4 adults it provided interest for most of us, the baby happy just to be wheeled around. The inside exhibits were varied, some accessible for children and adults to sit and move levers etc. The children hoped for access to more vehicles but enjoyed the outdoor playground. The cafe provided reasonably priced food and we had freshly made sandwiches. Being able to view the helicopters and small planes flying and landing was the highlight of the visit.
Service personnel had free entry.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

This was my second trip to the museum, and it looks like it has been extended a little since the first time. It's £9 for single entry which doesn't seem too expensive to my way of thinking. Having my new camera with me, I was eagerly anticipating taking some good photographs of the various exhibits but everything is stuffed in here like the contents of a sardine tin, especially in the first hall.

Even with a wide angle lens on, it was impossible to get a decent shot of many of the ground floor exhibits, simply because there was no room for visitors to stand and get any of the exhibits into focus. The use of powerful ceiling lamps also infringes upon whatever photographic opportunities were available and it was disappointing to say the least.

The second ground floor hall was way less cluttered and it made we wonder why the museum managers hadn't considered moving some of the exhibits into here to free up some space in the first hall and make it a more enjoyable visitor experience.

On this visit, I got more satisfaction from the static displays of wartime Britain, and the various collections of old photographs, military badges and insignia, and the well-written histories of the various campaigns that the Army Air Force have participated in over the decades.

No doubt this is a great collection of aircraft but it's claustrophobic display areas just do it no justice whatsoever. After 45 minutes or so, I'd had enough. I had a better time outside watching and photographing the helicopters manoeuvering on the air base.

Date of experience: April 2013
2  Thank Graham B
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We were on a caravan site just down the road, and this was a desired destination for the dads and sons on teh trip. There are a lot of exhibits (its tardis like inside) and also alot of informattion. There was not alot to entertain children, obviously museums and aircraft are not made for children. However, there was a playroom that our children liked, although it had little to do with army flying. We felt the entrance charge was a bit high.

Date of experience: March 2013