“???????”

Ranked #3 of 9 Stockbridge B&B and Inns
Andover, United Kingdom
“???????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

being single its quite a big deal going for a meal on your own but with my birthday looming I thought I would treat myself to a meal in the greyhound as I haven't tried it since it reopened.
started well. staff seemed attentive as I sat at the bar waiting for my table.(seats at the bar very uncomfortable.) I was told I was eating in the bar , fair enough. starter arrived quickly and was excellent. crispy pigs trotter and scallop. portion pretty damn small for £11.00. the waitress who cleared my plate was extremely abrupt, whisked my plate away without even asking if everything was alright.to be fair I think she had been sucking a lemon by the sour look on her face.(waitress with glasses, you work in the restaurant trade, you are paid to at least pretend you give a s**t!).
for main I had the rib eye, which again was great, but I only had about 5 chips (fantastic chips.).they really need to get this poncy portion size thing sorted.
it took a real downward spiral after this. no sign of the waitress, no offer of a dessert menu, didn't even come to take my plate away. I sat there 20 minutes feeling like I was in the way so I went to the bar and paid.even that seemed to take an eternity.
the owner , Lucy, was behind the bar looking stern ,sullen and unapproachable, clearly setting this as an acceptable example to the staff.(Smile for Christ sake ! if running a pub makes you this miserable get out.)
basically, love the chefs food but the portions are a rip off. female waiting staff are surly and unapproachable. male staff are more chatty and professional.
great shame because it used to be very warm and friendly pub.get the old staff back.
I have read other reviews on here and there seems to be a similar theme. overpriced, small portions and poor service. I would take note if I were you Lucy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank David M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Our son got married on Friday 6th September and the reception was held at the Greyhound,
I can not overstate how perfect both the staff and setting for a function the Greyhound is. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble, all our guests food requests were smoothly catered for dairy free vegetarian etc..Elderly grandparents were treat with such kindness and consideration comfy seating found in a quite corner bearing in mind that we we're a party of over 150. The food was hot and delicious even though it was served in the marque the standard was just the same as if we had be eating in the restaurant. Once again thank you to Lucy and her fabulous team you really did us proud.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Our stay was a fishing and social one with friends; having been booked under old ownership it took a while to pin down the new management. Once done, nothing was too much trouble and from the start of our stay we were made most welcome. Rooms 6 and 7 were excellent. We dined extremely well, although it had taken us a few minutes to decipher the menu the black and grey writing was a bit confusing.
As a group of four we sampled a number of starters and main courses, all of which were excellent and presented well. Wine was well priced too. All the staff were attentive without being overly so and dealt with our needs promptly and without fuss. Breakfast was delicious with plenty of healthy and less healthy options.
One of our party was fishing on the beat behind the pub and had forgotten his net should he catch anything. There was no need to visit Robjents on the High Street to buy one as the pub was able to lend one.
Would happily return, keep up the great work team Greyhound.

Room Tip: Room 7 has an enormous bed and plenty of space and is away from the road.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Naughtybrowndog
shropshire uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Located on a busy highstreet with good car park, garden and fishing.
Bedroom (No 1) clean and well furnished. Good fairly powerful shower. Noisy extract fan right outside window. Turned off at approx 11pm.
Young all female staff in bar are helpful and attentive. Once one gets past the youthful chirrups of "fantistic" "perfect" " fabulous" etc., there are some very well executed dishes on offer. Interesting wine list, no bargains but reasonable choice.
Excellent breakfast. Lovely fruit, good coffee, real toast, croissants preserves and proper butter. Friendly witty service.
Overall a nice place to stay which represents good overall value in "ripoffsville southern England"
One final point..... are we the only oldies who cringe when we are addressed as "guys"

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank cannytraveler
Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I've visited the Greyhound a couple of times in the past two month and am really impressed. Firstly they have done a great job in the recent renovation; the team who run it have spent a lot of time and money refitting the whole pub which has been done to a very high and tasteful standard. The bar is very pleasant with big comfy leather club chairs besides the fire, oak panelling and real ale on tap. The restaurant is a quirky cross between a bistro and grandma’s kitchen.
When we’ve visited it has been busy and it’s probably best to try and book a table in advance. The menu is not the cheapest but the quality of the food is very high and the ingredients are very local and very fresh so it’s well worth a visit for a treat!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
skywalker063
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Very good food , good quantitie, a good choice of wine from france and other countries . Price very reasonnable for the quality . The service good . Worth a visit to enjoy good quality food well served and well presented . Will go back anytime .

Stayed August 2013
Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had waited to go back to The Greyhound since it changed hands as we had heard very mixed reviews from friends. The restaurant was quite busy and so we were offered a table in the bar area. Our evening began quite well until a large group of the owners friends entered the restaurant and took there seats at the bar, they had obviously been drinking for some time and were loud, foul mouthed and just plain rowdy. The staff were also distracted by this group of people and the service seemed to grind to a halt. This was a mid-week evening and not really what we had expected. The food was ok but sadly the atmosphere was spoilt by the owners friends. This is a relatively small establishment bar and restaurant should not really be mixed. Won't be dashing back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank George301199
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
The Grosvenor
#1 of 1 in Sutton Scotney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,049 reviews
Winchester Royal Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie

Been to The Greyhound Inn at Stockbridge? Share your experiences!